Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I seem to recall there was another Zak fan game, closer to the original style, that had a graphic sex scene out of nowhere near the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Man, this game is embarrassing. The incredibly extended Murray scene, and then the plane bit (and especially the voice acting on the plane). And the "Italian", good lord.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 22, 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

In this episode, Germans trying to put on even remotely convincing French accents. Incroyable!

Did Zak constantly talk to the player in the original game? It's really annoying.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:eyepop: at the alternate solution.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ah, German humor. Second only to British cuisine on the cultural wasteland map.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'm sorry, I'm trying to delete it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

It's here forever now. British humour is a weird beast these days and it's quite hard to find anything that's even halfway decent. A good amount of British shows used to have some wit and intelligence behind them but television companies have been pushing reality stuff hard over the past couple of decades.

German humor and British food are the two problems according to the ancient joke (I also wasn't actually trying to delete it, I humorously stand by it).

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

There's quite a variety in this update. We spend some time in Zak's apartment as he attempts to create a disguise, then Zak revisits some old ground and then we move on to pastures new.

The cringe levels are going off the chart with this one. Poor David Fox. Poor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Also that's not how you pronounce Diogenes.

They clearly have audiovisual talent, just... the writing and puzzle design are atrocious.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 5, 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Maybe I'm grumpy or overly harsh, but I also found all of Phoenix's remakes of older Sierra games terrible.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

There's a pretty lengthy diary on the game's home page about them tracking down the original devs and meeting up with them that borders on "creepily obsessive".

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I may be missing something but I can't see anything creepily obsessive. This is the one that I've found: http://www.mckracken.net/cms/between-timespace-2/besuch-bei-lucasarts.html

The first part mentions being invited to a party by Matthew Allan Kane at his house. The second part mentions that they were in touch with David Fox, but he was busy but were told to keep calling to see if he was free and he did make the time to meet them both.

It read obsessive to me, maybe I misinterpreted it.

What I'm not misinterpreting is Zak not shutting up about being in a game. It's not funny or cute, goddammit.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

In a way, this game feels a lot like a low-budget version of a Quantic Dreams or Bloober Team game: really good visuals and sound (except maybe that explosion sequence in the pre-credits cutscene), utterly wasted thanks to the terrible writing and directing. And Jesus Christ that epilogue is agonizing. What is it with Germans and shagging in adventure games? And, uh, a "routine pregnacny test"?

Speaking of agonizing, Rent-A-Hero. I remember it as one of the worst adventure games I've ever played.

Thanks for playing this so I didn't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I haven't played through Rent-a-Hero before, my only experience with it so far is doing playtesting to see if it was feasible to LP. I really don't know what to make of it so far but the reviews for this game make it seem very favourable. I guess that time will tell, from what I do know of it the game is relatively short so even if it is terrible it won't last for long.

One interesting thing to note is that the studio is Austrian and a lot of the people who worked on this game also worked with LucasArts in localising many of their releases into the German-speaking market. Some of them also went on to make the X series of games as well.

Being Austrian myself, I played it in the original German. I don't fully remember why I hated it so much, it's been decades, but I think it was endless, slow trekking between locations and an unbelievably unlikeable protagonist.