Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Atari ST! Too bad that system never seemed to catch on very well in the states, while the Apple II and IBM PC took off like wildfire.

Also, it's refreshing that they didn't give the baker an overwrought french accent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm under the impression that the pyramids themselves are tombs, and the coffin is the sarcophagus.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

One of my favourite things is how many things adventure game protags do, when they're done "optimally" and thus slightly out of logic order, that seem like some sort of advanced mental illness.

kinda feels like the "well, this is the only way all these pieces fit together" kind of gameplay where the only clues come from countless mistakes and experiments

although it's really really cool that there are multiple ways to perform a task, which is pretty refreshing

this really reminds me that I still haven't beaten Maniac Mansion. My characters always get kidnapped and I never quite know which initial characters to pick.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Thank you for the offer but I managed to find some maps. One of them was overcomplicated and sent me down the wrong path.

The layout for this particular one does make sense but with these kind of things I have no sense of direction. My brain just can't seem to grasp mazes at all and I easily lose where I am.

I managed to find the solution in the end and it was by watching a video of someone run through the maze in total darkness.

I think my first lucasarts adventure game was Monkey Island (although arguably it could have been Maniac Mansion) and Monkey Island's gameplay was so much more player friendly than their kings quest contemporaries.

I guess now it's clear that they didn't get the philosophy right on day one, and Zak was one of their first games

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I believe that Labyrinth was their first adventure game and it's certainly something. I finished reading through the LP of it only last week: https://lparchive.org/Labyrinth/

Zak McKracken was the second game to be released that used the Scumm engine, Maniac Mansion was the first.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade & Loom came out directly before the first Monkey Island game.

Whoa! I didn't know they had a text adventure game...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

We get to meet Melissa and Leslie in this video and we get to see more of Mars. We haven't uncovered every mystery on Mars just yet but we've found enough to help Zak and to keep themselves safe for the moment. Zak continues his adventures by swinging by Mexico so he can loot an ancient pyramid before heading off to visit the Bermuda Triangle.

the whole puzzle with Leslie and Melissa gives me Maniac Mansion vibes, where certain people are good at one thing and other people are good at other things.

Although I wonder what Melissa is good at. Her fear of heights and dead aliens are not good but she works well as a second pair of hands

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I understand what you are saying but this game was originally released in 1988 on the C64. I believe that the game came on two discs which could hold a total of 170kb each. I would love a modern remake of this game which wouldn't be as constrained as this game had to be at the time.

This probably explained why there were so many mazes.

Thank you for the LP. I doubt I would have made it past San Francisco, much less get to Mars.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

Wow, they did ANOTHER Zak game? Interesting.

I honestly feel like the most interesting read of this one is as Zak's idle daydreaming about why the rest of the world is so stupid and doesn't appreciate his journalistic skills: Clearly, they're so dumb because of an ALIEN CONSPIRACY. Now imagine, Zak daydreams, if he, Zak, was just the man to save the world, and he got to hang out with a bunch of cute girls while doing it and then also got to date one of them?

it's an unofficial sequel without the involvement of lucasarts et al

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zak_McKracken:_Between_Time_and_Space

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I look forward to more german accented characters. I hope the initial security guard isn't the only one.

For a fan game, it seems very well done, especially the writing.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Zak explores 13th Avenue Street in this video and it's looking a little different. Things don't seem to be adding up and when he visits the local businesses things just seem to get even weirder.

I was hoping to have something up before now but I've come down with a horrible stomach bug. I was sent home from work today because of it but I was feeling well enough to record something, I'm just sitting around on my rear end anyway so I thought that I'd try to be productive.

there is a lot of heart in the voice acting in this game

I love it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Some people get grumpy without coffee, I guess, but this takes it to a whole new level

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Zak arrives in Mexico to find out what happened to the archaeologists. As he explores the excavation site he uncovers even more weird things happening, some of this things we may never get an explanation for. Such as: Why is an American boy scout group camping in the jungle next to an ancient monument in the heart of Mexico? This segment is a lot more straightforward compared to the previous one, thankfully.

This isn't the same pyramid from the first game but it seems just as important in this game. Is this game really set twenty years after the first one?

He was a dick to the flight attendant in the first game as well in an effort to steal some objects, but he didn't slip anyone a roofie. As far as I'm aware we do need one of the objects from the aeroplane for a later puzzle, but it's not one that was required to scare the poo poo out of the cabin crew.

for someone who is 20 years older, zak has really taken good care of himself

also, if someone is a world-renowned botanist, surely they can be easily tracked down via a workplace rather than a stakeout at every fish restaurant in Paris

unless, in this outlandish alternate universe, there is only one good fish restaurant in Paris

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I half expected Zak to destroy the egg inadvertently before the end of the segment and I'm glad that this didn't happen

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Razor and the SCUMMettes is a reference to Maniac Mansion.

I kinda get the feeling that Annie's voice actress is French, attempting an American accent.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also, it is a bit unnerving that Annie never turns around to talk to you

At least, the game devs could have considered moving Zak in front of her when talking to her.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I thought that it was a German actress trying to portray an English accent.

That's a good point.

quote:

I'm going to give this game a free pass for stuff like this as it's gratis.

That's a good point.

For the curious, "le pêcheur merveilleux" means "the marvelous fisherman".

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Not only is Coventry not in Scotland, Zak also says that he rescued the scientists from New Mexico (9:10). Well, if it were really New Mexico, it would explain the Boy Scouts but not the jungle or the pyramids.

To be fair, there are incredible ancient archaeological sites in New Mexico, but they aren't pyramids.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The only other fan game I can think of that was based on an adventure game is The Silver Lining which aimed to be a conclusion to the Kings Quest series. It's an episodic series that has yet to be concluded.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silver_Lining_(video_game)

Apparently comments on metacritic about the first episode complained about the voice acting and the writing. I guess you could say something similar about this (Zak's) game, but this game has been nice so far. Can't beat free!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I've found a new list of games to take a closer look at, something that I'll do when I have a bit more free time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Arj0nAGS

There is a serious contingent of people that want a maniac mansion remake!

I haven't played Day of the Tentacle but it looks like gog.com has a remastered version of it. hmm....

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Carpator Diei posted:

What even was the point of that North Pole micro-puzzle? My best guess here is that it's a remnant of a cut North Pole location that they didn't want to go to waste, but it just feels so completely superfluous on every level.

sounds logical to me

like someone had made all that background art and nobody wanted it to go to waste

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think "clear the room at a chili eating contest" refers to the fact that both chili and peanuts are foods known to cause flatulence. Maybe the combination makes the resulting gas particularly dire in Zak's case.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think that I'm beyond the point where I'm trying to make sense of things and have just begun to let things just happen and roll with it. It's not that often that I start to feel that disconnection with a game but it has happened a few times before now.

I think this game's writing wants to dial up the nonsense to 11. Any notion of sense or cohesion is probably out the window.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:ohdearsass:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, I wonder if the voice actor for The King was given any direction when making the sounds for sleeping

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

If you showed me any item in Zak's inventory and ask me where he got it, besides Sushi, I think I would only have a 5% chance of answering correctly.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

In your playthrough, you mused about the special properties of the white crystal. From what I've seen in your finale video for the first game, its only use is in assembling the skolarian device. Likely because it's the last crystal and the hardest to get to (since it's on Mars).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thank you for the LP, it's undeniably more fun for me than actually playing the game.

There's really a serious amount of effort put into this game, especially given all the 3D animation that was done. I wonder if they did mocap or if it was done by hand or a mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Zaroff posted:

I am just bemused by the number of Zak McKracken fan games!
What is so special about an enjoyable game from the late 80s that people feel the need to make so many fan sequels (and include out of place sex - did they take the ‘Zak goes to bed alone… again’ line from the original game to heart and made it their duty to give him some action)?

Zak is just a wacky 80s adventure game protagonist with unethical ideas and the wherewithal to accomplish them. If you want to write and publish an adventure game, it's much easier to take an existing and familiar setting and characters than make something new out of whole cloth.

Of course, ignore the fact that Annie is a scientist in her own right. Or that Leslie and Melissa were intrepid fearless adventurers of their own that were able to convert a VW bus into a spaceship.