Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I liked the ghost episodes of Unsolved Mysteries (the original series, natch)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't believe there's adults who believe in ghosts tbh

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
At horse riding class the other day we had a new student join for a try-out. I chatted with her a bit before class, she told me about her job as a chiropractor and horse masseuse, and how she uses telepathy to communicate with the horses, before and during her sessions.
She could also see ghosts, and told me how she's currently being haunted by the ex-neighbour who really wants to hang out in her living room. Apparently you stop ghosts by shouting at them, so currently the old lady ghost is haunting her hallway and occasionally throwing keys on the floor to signal her displeasure.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

At horse riding class the other day we had a new student join for a try-out. I chatted with her a bit before class, she told me about her job as a chiropractor and horse masseuse, and how she uses telepathy to communicate with the horses, before and during her sessions.
She could also see ghosts, and told me how she's currently being haunted by the ex-neighbour who really wants to hang out in her living room. Apparently you stop ghosts by shouting at them, so currently the old lady ghost is haunting her hallway and occasionally throwing keys on the floor to signal her displeasure.
she had two fake jobs?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I had a coworker like this who told me that people were looking for her and her husband because they had a copy of the real Necronomicon. These people legit make me speechless irl, like I have no idea what to even say to mfers just making poo poo up so brazenly.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I had a coworker like this who told me that people were looking for her and her husband because they had a copy of the real Necronomicon. These people legit make me speechless irl, like I have no idea what to even say to mfers just making poo poo up so brazenly.

did you ask them if they did have a copy of the neconomicon? Did they swallow your soul?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Perhaps you should consider not being so distrusting when a witness to the hidden workings of the universe testifies

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

did you ask them if they did have a copy of the neconomicon? Did they swallow your soul?

I usually stop saying anything at that point in the conversation and ignore them. Not even voluntarily, I just can't muster up the energy to humor whatever weird poo poo they think I'm stupid enough to believe.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Also her FB account is her name (presumably) in Japanese characters just to complete the image.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I usually stop saying anything at that point in the conversation and ignore them. Not even voluntarily, I just can't muster up the energy to humor whatever weird poo poo they think I'm stupid enough to believe.

Just tell them not to go to an isolated cabin and read it. That never ends well

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

She reminded me of this girl I knew in highschool who was very spiritual and into all that sort of stuff. She claimed she could see ghosts and that she had been a shaman in a previous life. She also had a great set of tits, a winning smile and a great laughter and I had a mad crush on her. She called the ghosts shades and told me sometimes they would come into her apartment but she'd shoo them out. Just mundane stuff like that. One exception was she told me how she had been at the mall once and saw a child-sized shade following a couple around.

I don't understand how people make up this sort of thing and talk about it with that kind of conviction.

Highschool crush had a real natural talent as a horse whisperer, so maybe these types of people just gravitate towards horses.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Why are hauntings always old-timey and never modern? Why are ghosts always Victorian children singing a sad lullaby or a 1920s dapper man in a top hat or a malevolent 1950s asylum doctor?

Where the gently caress are the modern ghosts? Did people stop dying after 1960?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

You Are A Elf posted:

Why are hauntings always old-timey and never modern? Why are ghosts always Victorian children singing a sad lullaby or a 1920s dapper man in a top hat or a malevolent 1950s asylum doctor?

Where the gently caress are the modern ghosts? Did people stop dying after 1960?

I think maybe ghosts have the internet now

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think maybe ghosts have the internet now

Good point. They’ve since migrated to the Internet via electricity, like that movie White Noise with Michael Keaton.

Or the electrical gremlin in Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

You Are A Elf posted:

Good point. They’ve since migrated to the Internet via electricity, like that movie White Noise with Michael Keaton.

Or the electrical gremlin in Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

I love Gremlins 2: The new Batch. Second best Gremlins movie

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Highschool crush had a real natural talent as a horse whisperer, so maybe these types of people just gravitate towards horses.

Horses famously not prone to being spooked.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

See, now that's scary

Way worse than ghosts

Run far, far away

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Two theories.

1. It's never been so easy to have an endless library of video in your hands. Those moments of quiet where your brain isn't doing anything are fewer and farther between. People aren't open to subtle things/their brain isn't making its own entertainment.

2. 2016 reminded everyone that the scariest thing is their neighbor with a MAGA hat, and for those wearing the MAGA hats, the right wing infosphere tells them what to be afraid of every day.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

2. 2016 reminded everyone that the scariest thing is their neighbor with a MAGA hat, and for those wearing the MAGA hats, the right wing infosphere tells them what to be afraid of every day.

Help I'm being haunted by liberal drag queen ghosts that want to turn me into a gay dope head

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Beachcomber posted:

Two theories.

1. It's never been so easy to have an endless library of video in your hands. Those moments of quiet where your brain isn't doing anything are fewer and farther between. People aren't open to subtle things/their brain isn't making its own entertainment.

also there might be ghosts, and those ghosts are probably racist

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Cubone posted:

ghosts are real, but their essence is dissipated by wifi and cellphone signals, so you only get hauntings in areas with low coverage, which are getting fewer and further between. but those also tend to be areas with low populations, meaning there's less chance of there even being enough dead people to haunt, and on top of that, well, less people to see them if they do
your best bet in america is something like a coalmine or an abandoned town built around a now-closed factory or mill, places of that nature, where life is slow and quiet enough that the echoes of forgotten tragedies may still linger

thank you for the explanation this makes sense

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

dk2m posted:

we had a children’s home that used to be a boarding school and eventually stopped being used in the 70s that sort of lay semi-abandoned by the owner. It was in a weird spot because it was right across the cemetery and right next to the jail so you’d get a perfect storm of bored teenagers daring each other to do stupid poo poo

I used to be in a bunch of different bands and one of them was a black metal band where the guy was legitimately obsessed with satanism and was convinced that there was Wickede Aura going on at the children’s home, so he broke into it and then stayed overnight, but then he had really bad asthma and had to go to the hospital for a few days because he breathed in a lot of asbestos or something and it really messed with his allergies

it was pretty tough to take him seriously with his corpse paint after that

This post needs to be made into a goddamn StoryCorp

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Nooner posted:

This post needs to be made into a goddamn StoryCorp

Yeah that would legit be awesome.

As it turns out ghosts happen to be farts. Bascially, certain foods you can eat combine in your stomach and intestine to produce a certain smell that causes people to see ghosts. Its highly scientific. I don't think you would understand so I won't explain it further.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

ManBoyChef posted:

Yeah that would legit be awesome.

As it turns out ghosts happen to be farts. Bascially, certain foods you can eat combine in your stomach and intestine to produce a certain smell that causes people to see ghosts. Its highly scientific. I don't think you would understand so I won't explain it further.

This is stupid and wrong
Farts are the ghosts of the food you ate
Ghosts eat the farts that's why the smell goes away

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Lighting a match works too but then all you can smell is the sulfer

Take that ghost farts!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I bet you didn't even consider what happens to the ghost of that fire. This is why the incorporeal world hates us, always causing ghost forest fires

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Smugworth posted:

This is stupid and wrong
Farts are the ghosts of the food you ate
Ghosts eat the farts that's why the smell goes away

finally....its all so clear to me now!

dk2m
May 6, 2009

You Are A Elf posted:

There’s a Seinfeld sketch here where Kramer is haunted by a millennial ghost who just wants a roommate

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgTlFXmh1cE

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

The ghost threads were a major factor in me reg'ing here.

I still have a pdf of one of the old skinwalker threads saved, full of grammar errors no less.

I also have a physical copy of humper-monkeys story some goon did a self publish run on Amazon with.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
They're evaporating due to global warming.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They use the ghosts to power computers now. Started sucking em up when it turned out ectoplasm runs better than vacuum tubes, and the rest is history

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Action-Bastard posted:

The ghost threads were a major factor in me reg'ing here.

I still have a pdf of one of the old skinwalker threads saved, full of grammar errors no less.

I also have a physical copy of humper-monkeys story some goon did a self publish run on Amazon with.

there were some pretty awesome creepy stories that came out of SA. I have to say there are some very talented writers that used to post here. I do have to agree with the poster above taht said that when it comes to spooky stories less is more. I have a hard time with a lot of the newer creepypastas and the such with the fact that they are all either lists of rules or something stupid like that. Sometimes things are creepy because they are unexplainable....they don't need to be explained and described down to the last detail.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
All the spam emails you get are actually from the ghosts of Nigerian princes and Hot Horny Ladies in Your Area.

God was super bored with thousands of years of the woooo spooky stuff, and when the internet came around, it had a new outlet to be a giant dick.

No escaping the prison of eternal afterlife (everyone you can't stand is still there) for the freeing bliss of non-existence until you can scam at least a mil in iTunes gift cards, bitcoins, or straight up money transfers from romance scams.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

ManBoyChef posted:

It is this. That zac baggins dude...gently caress me dead that guy makes me look like some kinda high class socialite. He cant go five minutes without embarrassing himself and everyone watching that show.

When I was in college, I took a Gothic lit course, and the professor had us watch an episode of Ghost Adventures as an assignment. I thought that poo poo was hilarious. Something about watching a douchey buffoon talk poo poo to ghosts that weren't there was so funny to me. I'm not usually one for reality TV, but that train wreck of a show really hit the sweet spot. I can't imagine anyone taking that doofus seriously, though.

BeastOfTheEdelwood fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 20, 2023

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I don't really get the wearing a sheet thing if you were an actual visible ghost, it's sort of the clothing version of using the hard R since some people kind of ruined the whole wearing a sheet thing.

People are gonna make assumptions about you and you have to preface all the hauntings with "Wooowooo, I'm not racist, but..."

Seems tiring. Just like be a gross corpse and drag chains around or something. Throw crap around.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
After the first use of the atomic bomb, the reproductive method of the human soul was sterilized.

With Heaven no longer receiving an intake of fresh souls, it began allowing in the lost souls trapped on Earth as ghosts passage to Heaven or Hell.

In time, Heaven will begin to open their doors to the damned of Hell just to have some variety. After eternity upon eternity in this Heaven, with everyone having been able to see and know everything, the dead will hunger for an impossible oblivion of non-existence to end their boredom.

edit: The only people with souls walking around in this day and age are the handful who are over 80s years old. The rest of us will have no paradise or eternal life or even the ability to haunt. We will simply end.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 20, 2023

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I've been a paranormal investigator for 20 years, the last five years professionally, and I have the answers to the OPs question but I can already tell this thread isn't going to take any of it seriously so I'm not even going to bother

I'd love to hear about it. I used to be a complete skeptic, but finally admitted there's just way too much evidence of supernatural phenomena to dismiss, e.g. chairs, kitchen utensils, even heavy bricks flying horizontally through the air for no natural reason (poltergeists or demons or similar, presumably).

Why don't you post in that Do Ask, Do Tell (I forget its exact name) non-GBS subforum? Pls shoot me a private message if you do, I'd be sure to be fascinated by your experiences, and I'm sure many others would too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sad question
May 30, 2020

I am mostly haunted by mortality of me and my loved ones.