Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

The Butcher posted:

This one is a great story concept, thanks for sharing but yeah :words:.

I'm gonna take the base concept and do a modern adapt for next time I've got kiddos around the campfire who want to get their spooky on, tailored to their interests and attention spans.

Maybe your Fortnight character slightly changes each time you come back, but when you recheck, it's back the way you left it? Lotta ways to play with it.

A whole lot of stories on the copypasta websites are about playing some loving computer game and seeing stuff on a screen.

I pity those young people who can imagine nothing scarier than poo poo in computer games, around which their whole lives must revolve. Presumably, anything exciting/scary happening in the real world is beyond their imagining or comprehending.

Full disclosure: I did find that Squidward copypasta pleasantly disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dixville posted:

My dad believes in ghosts and he tells stories about a house he lived in that he thinks was haunted. He says one time he was asleep and there was a bright flash and a loud popping noise, and i guess other things happened i don't remember the details. He went to some kind of medium or something and asked for advice and they told him just to talk to the ghost in a kind way and he did and i guess the ghostly things stopped after that. So if any of you find yourself haunted, give that a try.

Make yourself haunt-proof by having several pets, at least one of which is a cat. Things go bump in the night? Not mysterious. Items moved? Not mysterious. Dishes broken when no one is around? Not mysterious. Find scratches or bruises you don't remember getting? Not mysterious. Any ghostie or demon trying to rattle you is going to get frustrated and sad before fading away.

Something like a cockatoo will definitely drive off spirits before they can do any spooks. Of course then you are stuck living with a cockatoo.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

free hubcaps posted:

I think so many ghost stories are set during the the late 18th/early 19th century cuz the victorians/ edwardians loved them and kinda invented the modern ghost story. MR James and Algernon Blackwood are two of the best from that era; this is one of my favorites.

Trying to catch up on this thread but I'm just stuck I mean really wtf??

Mf name is Dennistoun? I'm supposed to be scared?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I remember reading someone telling how they had lived in a mildly haunted apartment. It was mostly vague "feelings" stuff, but they had one piece of hard physical evidence that proved to them it wasn't just in their head: their keys went missing. Their keys went missing and they looked high and low but couldn't find them. Then several months later they moved the dresser and found the keys hidden under the dresser. :iiam:

From this I've deduced that ghosts mainly haunt really tidy people who have no pets.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

dk2m posted:

I’m not really sure why he thinks the Parker brothers found a way to open the gates of an unknowable new reality and priced it around $15 but there you go

The Exorcist was probably the first scary movie a lot of Boomers had seen, and it probably hit them in the most leaden part of the brain.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I do sometimes hear thumping and pitter pattering in the night, and small objects are moved around, usually to the floor.

But the cat is always sleeping when I get up after its automatic feeder has done its thing half an hour before I need to be up.

I think the cat has ghosts.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Nooner posted:

Trying to catch up on this thread but I'm just stuck I mean really wtf??

Mf name is Dennistoun? I'm supposed to be scared?

Just wait untill you come to The Tale of The Obvious Murderer and The lovely Prosecution

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Butcher posted:

I do sometimes hear thumping and pitter pattering in the night, and small objects are moved around, usually to the floor.

But the cat is always sleeping when I get up after its automatic feeder has done its thing half an hour before I need to be up.

The other night I woke up and swore I heard the floor creaking in the exact places my dog would creak them as he shifted from one sleeping spot to another, but he died a few months back.

Every once in a while I hear loud bangs of various types (Doors slamming, gunshots, tires blowing, cannon going off) as I'm falling sleep which I guess is pretty much Exploding Head Syndrome, and those spots on the floor never creaked from thermal expansion or contraction before, only when they're being walked on, so I guess whatever neurons misfire with exploding had syndrome have decided to get more cruel and more subtle in loving with me.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dixville posted:

So does that mean it ain't haunted or

buddy if u never been hainted u will be

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Laura Loomer ran in my district and many folks had her sign in their yards in my neighborhood.

I could not make enough poops to fill all their mailboxes. I am haunted by this thought at night while I writhe in bed thinking of all the petty vandalisms that were not done.

naem
May 29, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Something like a cockatoo will definitely drive off spirits before they can do any spooks. Of course then you are stuck living with a cockatoo.

https://youtube.com/shorts/fRqQBJxmFnU?feature=share

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Cockatoos are way scarier than ghosts

Beautiful, but look, don't touch

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Everyone is looking at their phones so dont notice the ghosts, and the ghosts get discouraged since nobody gets spooked, they're like "do I even exist?" a bit of a ghost existential crisis

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
He thrusts his fists
Against these posts
And still insists
He sees
The ghosts.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I saw a ghost once. His name was Kirk Cameron.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

free hubcaps posted:

I think so many ghost stories are set during the the late 18th/early 19th century cuz the victorians/ edwardians loved them and kinda invented the modern ghost story. MR James and Algernon Blackwood are two of the best from that era; this is one of my favorites.

I sort of inherited MR James knowledge from my parents, in that I have no idea when I originally heard/read the stories because it feels like I always knew them.
I've read a crazy amount of short ghost story collections, and James is unique in that, I read his story titles in isolation, and I remember the basic structure of the story. Nearly every other writer, I need to read a bit of the story to remember what it was about.

The exception is Edith Wharton - hers are great too; Mr Jones is an absolute classic.
(a favorite modern ghost story is 'Smoke Ghost', which I've only ever seen in one anthology we bought in the late '80s.)

A 'real' haunting that I only heard about a day or so ago was the one at Hinton Ampner, in the old house on the estate.
The haunted building was demolished in 1792, plus the people involved were aristocrats, so the story never got widely circulated or sensationalised.
I read a really good account of the whole thing, based off contemporary accounts from eye witnesses, and it's very clear that no-one involved wanted it to be a haunting, they assumed it was a hoax and kept searching the building to find intruders, but they never found anything.
The main witness, Mary Rickett was a stone-cold badass.
She repeatedly heard weird noises in her wardrobe, in the corridor outside her room, all over the house. Rather than hide in bed til it stopped, she'd go right up to where ever it was happening and search for burglars.
They never found any cause for any of the disturbances and eventually moved out to get away from them

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
When I was 7 or 8, I remember lying in bed and hearing what sounded like something dragging around my bed. It took me a long time to work up the courage to call out to my mom, who was sitting in the kitchen on the other end of the hall. She came back, made sure our dog stayed at the foot of my bed to make me feel safe, and left the door all the way open with the hall light streaming in. I felt better and she went back to the kitchen to chat with my sister in-law.

No more than a few minutes later, the door up and SLAMS closed. I couldn't call out that time. It was the first time I remember being absolutely frozen in fear. My mom and sister in-law heard the door slam and my mom immediately jumped up and sprinted down the hall to come get me. I never slept alone in that room again.

Still no idea what the gently caress, but at least I had witnesses!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Treecko posted:

We grew up and stopped believing in made up nonsense

Well, some of us did

and now things are better, right?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Das Boo posted:

When I was 7 or 8, I remember lying in bed and hearing what sounded like something dragging around my bed. It took me a long time to work up the courage to call out to my mom, who was sitting in the kitchen on the other end of the hall. She came back, made sure our dog stayed at the foot of my bed to make me feel safe, and left the door all the way open with the hall light streaming in. I felt better and she went back to the kitchen to chat with my sister in-law.

No more than a few minutes later, the door up and SLAMS closed. I couldn't call out that time. It was the first time I remember being absolutely frozen in fear. My mom and sister in-law heard the door slam and my mom immediately jumped up and sprinted down the hall to come get me. I never slept alone in that room again.

Still no idea what the gently caress, but at least I had witnesses!

I have a vaguely similar thing. My grandmother got very old and was moved from her house to a nursing home when she got too frail to take care of herself.
We took turns going up to her empty house every evening to sit there for an hour it two, just to make it look occupied because she was afraid it would be burgled.
Around the time she died, I went up as usual, to occupy the house, to switch on some lights, move around etc.
Except the moment I set foot inside the front hall, I had the weirdest feeling - it was like a gale of wind was blowing around the house, but I couldn't directly feel it. I knew it was there, but there was no actual physical contact.
It was totally inhuman and impersonal, there was no sense that an actual person was doing any of it. It was like a physical force that had gotten out of control.

After she died, the house was completely empty, like a blown eggshell, there was no sense of anything at all in the place.
Just an old, empty house.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
when i was 9 years old we lived in a ~200 year old house from that February through to September and that was too long. there was something malevolent in that place

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

What sort of malevolence did you or your family perceive?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the atmosphere in the room would suddenly and drastically change and i'd feel like i was being watched, and i'd have a rush of adrenaline without there being anything perceptible causing it, and there was sometimes this very unique and heavy smell - the closest things to it that i've smelt are cigar smoke and the inside of musical instrument cases. it happened when other people were visiting who hadn't been told about it and it freaked them out too

the first time i experienced it i was watching fresh prince of bel-air on TV and seeing anything from that show or thinking of the theme tune still puts me on edge :spooky:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'd be open to explanations for what was happening other than unexplained therefore ghost but whatever it was it was properly traumatising and to this day i won't stay in an old house and i've always had some trepidation when moving to new place in case something like that ever happens again

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

The Butcher posted:

It might. Sounds like you got a happy rat family in the ceiling. I used to hear all kinds of running around in the walls in my apartment and sometimes rat screams. I joked with someone that the Norwegian rats and roof rats (different species of rat) were having turf wars.

I already knew there were roof rats because one fell out of the ceiling of my bathroom (I hate my life) and may haven’t come back to pop its nose out of the rotten wood of the entry door frame after I heard a bunch of rat frolicking above and below. I think that second check was a,”Yep, human home still has cats,” thing.

One night, I heard a rat chewing in the kitchen. The cats were all sleeping, so I went and checked under the kitchen sink. A massive Norwegian rat was chewing on the chunk of wood that had apparently been used previously to cover a rat hole. I swear that rat’s head was, like, 2 inches long.

I shoved a plastic spoon in its hole after it noticed me and ducked back in. I have no clue why. It did jerk the spoon in after I offered it. But it never came back after that and the hole did not expand.

Anyway, because of this, I think I might have been correct with my little joke about Norwegian rat and roof rat gang wars. (I feel I must reiterate, even though I don’t live there anymore, I still hate my life. Fortunes have not improved. I still have my cats though!)

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Regarde Aduck posted:

and now things are better, right?

Absolutely not

I don't believe in ghosts but I still get scared over dumb things

I tell myself they're dumb so they can't get me

Help I'm surrounded!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I don't talk about it much because sleep paralysis is played out, but maybe the worst experience of my life is a 'demon' grabbing my ankle and trying to drag me into a closet.

It felt real

I didn't sleep much that week

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I still get exploding head syndrome when trying to fall asleep. Or disembodied voices saying very clear words right at the cusp.

It's not ghosts it's my hosed up brain.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Treecko posted:

I still get exploding head syndrome when trying to fall asleep. Or disembodied voices saying very clear words right at the cusp.

It's not ghosts it's my hosed up brain.

What if the ghosts are... in your brain?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

crispix posted:

i'd be open to explanations for what was happening other than unexplained therefore ghost but whatever it was it was properly traumatising and to this day i won't stay in an old house and i've always had some trepidation when moving to new place in case something like that ever happens again

If its any consolation, I've always lived in fairly old (150ish year old) houses, and of the three so far only one was regularly peculiar.
Never anything definite, just an odd feeling of increasing tension and an oppressive atmosphere any time I was at home alone.
Sometimes it got so bad I had to go out and sit on the doorstep until someone else came home. I mentioned this to a family member and she said she had exactly the same experience. The tension dropped the instant you were outside.

The latest house is the same age and it is absolutely a blank on that front. No atmosphere at all.
It's nice :)

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I don't recall the name of the show but basically it was about researching potential hauntings of homes that the homeowners claimed were having spooky experiences. They would send two people, one being a psychic and the other a professional HVAC guy or whatever. Invariably the psychic would recall, see or research some sort of grisly former tenant at the house and the HVAC guy would find creaky doors and sources of gusts of wind that would explain the occurrences. At the end of the show the owners of the home were asked which explanation they believed. Of course, 95% of the time, they chose the woo woo psychic bullshit.

Tarkus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 8, 2023

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Farts are ghosts of the food you eat
When you fart the smell goes away because a ghost ate the fart

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Tarkus posted:

I don't recall the name of the show but basically it was about researching potential hauntings of homes that the homeowners claimed were having spooky experiences. They would send two people, one being a psychic and the other a professional HVAC guy or whatever. Invariably the psychic would recall, see or research some sort of grisly former tenant at the house and the HVAC guy would find creaky doors and sources of gusts of wind that would explain the occurrences. At the end of the show the owners of the home were asked which explanation they believed. Of course, 95% of the time, they chose the woo woo psychic bullshit.

So what I'm hearing is:

get qualifications for HVAC and then open a business as a medium/exorcist and rake in $$$

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I've been in all manner of graveyard and spooky woods, during the full moon, new moon, and everything in between. Never seen ghost nor ghoul or even a hint of a haunting.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

unknown butthole posted:

I've been in all manner of graveyard and spooky woods, during the full moon, new moon, and everything in between. Never seen ghost nor ghoul or even a hint of a haunting.

If you’ve never seen a ghost that means the ghost is you.

Sorry :rip:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ghoastse

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
I think in a lot of cases it's not the ghosts themselves that are scary, but circumstances of loss, abandonment, grief etc., tied in with liminal spaces involving darkness, emptiness etc., that set us on edge. That's why people are still attracted to ghost hunting shows, because these shows have people running around in eerie spaces and telling depressing stories. It's not the ghosts themselves that are scary. It's more about feelings of loss, grief and so on, in abandoned spaces. People don't believe in ghosts, but they are still scared of abandonment and decay. That's why ghost hunting shows are so popular. You can't film a ghost, but it's not the ghosts that were scary in the first place. It's the sense of grief and abandonment that are scary. The ghosts are just a product of the depression and loss that empty spaces inspire. This is why ghost hunting shows take place in eerie, liminal spaces. That's what is actually scares us, not ghosts. People don't really believe in ghosts anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nah my goon stop overrationalizing this poo poo, people believe in ghosts and ghosts, too, believe in people.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

ManBoyChef posted:

I had a ghost in my house once....All it did was blast Information Society at 3 in the morning sometimes...wasn't all that bad.

That's a GOTH but easy mistake to make. I too like Information Society of which I know only because their lable made mix tapes with a wierd mix of dream pop and goth/80s synth pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Tarkus posted:

There’s also some sort of breaker box…dysfunction(?) that some people are sensitive to but others aren’t that can cause those sensitive to it to develop a feeling of dread any time they’re near it.

That looks like bullshit so now I need to go find the clips where “ghost investigators” don’t actually find any evidence of ghosts but do find a poorly wired breaker box.