Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im gonna stick w my screwdriver for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PokeJoe posted:

im gonna stick w my screwdriver for now

I could never reliably get a good burr turned even with a good burnisher

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echinopsis posted:

you’re quite good at something worthwhile

im good at everything i do. esepcially when im doin your mom :grin:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

I could never reliably get a good burr turned even with a good burnisher

i wouldn't say mine are good but im not ready to commit $40 to making a $5 tool better

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I use the back of a junk half-round file that I ground smooth.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i stole a good era craftsman screwdriver from my dad 15 years ago and it works fine for free

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

i wouldn't say mine are good but im not ready to commit $40 to making a $5 tool better

the way i look at it is that now that i have a functional card scraper i have to use sandpaper about 80% less and anything that makes less dust is a huge win for me

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

god dammit rotor dont make me spend $40 on a burnisher you could make w a lathe in a few mins

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

god dammit rotor dont make me spend $40 on a burnisher you could make w a lathe in a few mins

I couldnt make that because its solid carbide and i cannot machine solid carbide

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Can't make that one with a lathe -- it's tungsten carbide. At the very least you need a toolpost grinder (which always seems to me like a super bad invention)

e: 😡

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

thats the trick of the whole thing and thats why its $40, its 3/16" solid tungsten carbide

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i didnt read the website and you guys have made me the fool

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do have some old broken 1/4" carbide end mills though that I could totally put into a couple of wooden handles.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

maybe i will buy the thing. i do like the scraper

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

stupid computer wood thread. why does such an old "craft" involve so many loving tools???

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

stupid computer wood thread. why does such an old "craft" involve so many loving tools???

because old timey woodworkers could just go out and get giant straight-grained oaken slabs that smoothed easily but here in the future we gotta live with whatever shriveled little boards we can squeak by with.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

it's just one tool (chisel) in many different configurations

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Elder Postsman posted:

it's just one tool (chisel) in many different configurations

a burnisher is nothing like a chisel. its a tool for a tool

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"why do i need panel clamps and poo poo"

"because 36" wide oak slabs dont exist any more"

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

PokeJoe posted:

a burnisher is nothing like a chisel. its a tool for a tool

i guess!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

its a shame really

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

I think I've told the story before but when I was a kid we had a handyman who would do work on the house from time to time. His name was Karl and he had been a shipwright carpenter in Denmark when he was younger. He had incredibly wrinkly leathery skin and a big mustache and smoked a pipe and I was always fascinated by him.

One time he was doing some work in our attic. He came down with a funny look and told my mom and dad "hey, if you ever decide that you want to add another story to the house or anything like that...you just give me a call first, okay?"

Turns out the house's ridge beam was a single piece of oak 2 feet square and 50 feet long. Just a whole rear end old growth hardwood tree. You bet your rear end he wanted it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my own personal woodworking prestige project is to build myself a very nice computer desk. but i dont wanna do it till i buy a house first

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

oh i guess this is wood too i bought this little mahogany(?) bar cabinet at the antique market today

it has some staples pulling out and a few other flaws but it should be pretty easy to repair and clean up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

oh i guess this is wood too i bought this little mahogany(?) bar cabinet at the antique market today

it has some staples pulling out and a few other flaws but it should be pretty easy to repair and clean up

i love fixin stuff like that up, its a good feeling to make something new and useful again and save it from the landfill, its like my own private battle against entropy

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

PokeJoe posted:

my own personal woodworking prestige project is to build myself a very nice computer desk. but i dont wanna do it till i buy a house first

yeah I really want to make one of those ladder desks for this spot in our living room. i've got some oak for the two side frames but it's all rough cut so it's gonna take some work. pretty straight grain though, and also it was free so

most immediate project is finally FINALLY turning this piece of purpleheart into a little table thing for our couch arms. like one of these but dovetailed instead of just stuck together. https://i.etsystatic.com/19560894/r/il/a23db0/1776800582/il_fullxfull.1776800582_8mhw.jpg already have one made of cherry, and i made my parents a couple with douglas fir and birdseye maple. but it's been cold in my workshop so i haven't done poo poo in like 3 months.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

on that note I go to the Oakland Museum Women's Board White Elephant Preview Sale every year, which is a lot of words for: pay for a ticket to get into a giant warehouse full of stuff people donated and buy it for very random prices ranging from insanely cheap to decent to occasionally a bit high. And I go because I can get woodworking tools for, mostly, insanely cheap. I've filled out my plane collection in previous years but here's what I got this year:

thirty bucks for this bad boy

dividers are stupid cheap

these have the tiny micro-adjust wheel for super precision

These ones are suuuuuper smooth action, feels like butter to open and close them

There's a maker mark that I couldn't quite make out, so I tried a UV light

I'll be able to read it once I clean them up but let me know if anyone recognizes what we can see here

These are Starretts, a bit of tarnish but it'll polish up fine

Kind of a cool pencil/pen holder bracket thing on this one

The box for this caliper is falling apart but the tool itself has a bit of surface schmutz but it looks to be completely clean on the bits that matter

lol it was five bucks

The drawknife is an ohio tool co. in very good nick, I've fixed up worse ones and this one is actually still sharp

18" Starrett combination square still has its scribe

I also got this stack of 4 giant clamps!

These fuckers were $12 each and I was actually kinda griping at spending $48 on them until I remembered that they're worth three times that. Three of them are coated in still smelly BLO but one has been cleaned off and I'll be cleaning the other three. Dunno why you'd do that exactly, I'd use non-boiled regular linseed oil maybe, but like, the surface of the clamp shoudl not have finish on it unless you want that finish on your workpieces too so that's a bit weird.

AND I got these two guys., the green ones in the foreground, for ten bucks each:

As you can see I already have some big F clamps but only three feet, getting some four feet ones will be helpful for:

rotor posted:

exactly

Anyway there was a ton more I could have got but frankly just toting around all the clamps was a pain in the rear end and my arms got tired.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hell yeah, my buddy gave me 2 of his mega long BESSY F clamps for free and i use those fuckers all the time theyre so good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

thirty bucks for this bad boy

Sagebrush just poo poo himself with rage

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

dividers are stupid cheap

if you like dividers like these you can get them in drafting instrument sets on ebay. If you're not fussy about collector poo poo like "all matching complete sets" or whatever you can pick up several super high quality small dividers and compasses for like $15

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sure but that one was two dollars, the brass one was three, the starretts were five, and the big pair were eight. And no shipping, tool in hand
but it's true, there's a lot of dividers on ebay

I strongly recommend "by hand and eye" by walker and tomlin, from Lost Art Press
https://lostartpress.com/products/by-hand-eye-1
if you want to learn how to do alllll kinds of measuring and drawing using dividers, there's a reason every mason holds one and they're on all the money and in old timey pictures, it's like symbolic of precision and design and measuring things and basically if you have a pair of dividers you almost don't need units of measurement, crazy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

Sagebrush just poo poo himself with rage

love the calipers. hate the upper scale. would seriously have to consider whether i'd even pay such a great price for them

e: the top scale is in fractional inches but the additional figure for the inside measurement is specced as .394 in. aaaaaAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

love the calipers. hate the upper scale. would seriously have to consider whether i'd even pay such a great price for them

e: the top scale is in fractional inches but the additional figure for the inside measurement is specced as .394 in. aaaaaAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH

.394 inches = 1.001 cm friend, I suppose it could have been .393 but that'd be .998 cm and that's worse, and anyway we both know it's actually 1.000 cm

e. I suppose they could have written 25/64 but that would actually be less accurate than .393

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 6, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i had to look at a couple of my own to chill out.

ahhhhhhhhh.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have cheapo aliexpress digital ones that are fine but i dont use them for more than 1mm precision

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

basically the mitutoyo that I got you are only supposed to do the inside measurement in cm because the jaws add exactly 1cm, but there's an inch scale on there for convenience because you probably do lots of outside measurements too and why not.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Leperflesh posted:

I also got this stack of 4 giant clamps!

These fuckers were $12 each and I was actually kinda griping at spending $48 on them until I remembered that they're worth three times that. Three of them are coated in still smelly BLO but one has been cleaned off and I'll be cleaning the other three. Dunno why you'd do that exactly, I'd use non-boiled regular linseed oil maybe, but like, the surface of the clamp shoudl not have finish on it unless you want that finish on your workpieces too so that's a bit weird.

i love this style clamp. i got 4 big ones like that and two little tiny ones.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is what I've been reduced to recently

so either way I'm sure you can agree this is a big upgrade.

Also I got this uh, height measuring device? whatever it's called, last year:

It needs actual cleanup, but it came with this dial indicator too

I don't remember how much it cost but it was also cheap as hell. Probably like $40.

I already used it sideways to measure runout on my table saw. I think you're supposed to use it standing upright but I don't see a good reason not to use it lying on its side.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

sure but that one was two dollars, the brass one was three, the starretts were five, and the big pair were eight. And no shipping, tool in hand
but it's true, there's a lot of dividers on ebay

right im just sayin if people want those and dont get invited to obscure regional auctions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Haha fair enough
it's more like a rummage sale, or really it's the size of a whole flea market but all sold by one entity?

It's hard to find a picture of the whole thing, this is like 25% of the floor from a few years back, with clothing dept in the foreground

the "preview sale" costs money, but after that, you can donate stuff and get in to just buy things during the week, and then there's a general sale date that's free, etc. and then they close down for the rest of the year, while people donate entire estates and poo poo. So the preview sale is the first chance to get in on the stuff that came in the previous six or eight months or something. Hence the standing in line and paying for tickets.