Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah maybe. this white oak is what i had on hand so i used it.

i had good luck with 3 layers of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood faced with leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the jaws look fine to me it depends on how big your projects are really

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my vise is a metalworking vise w pieces of cherry wood around the jaws :shrug:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

i picked up a corrugated No. 6 at an antique store that's in good shape. the tote was clearly broken and repaired but the repair looks pretty good. there's some surface rust on the iron but mostly i just need to sharpen it. such a thin iron though drat.

my plan is to use it as a scrub to get one side flat enough to go through the planer so i don't have to use the terrible heavy sled

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

my vise is a metalworking vise w pieces of cherry wood around the jaws :shrug:

yeah my vise is a metalworking vise with pieces of scrap baltic birch that are now badly impregnated with a mix of wd40, tiny shards of steel wool, and paint stripper. I really need to make some new ones, but I really need a proper bench with a face vise even more, I get this to work more or less but god it'd be nice to have a proper workspace

I've gotten a number of good tools at various antique stores, the best are at consignment antique places where some random spot has a seller that specializes in "manly shelf dressing" type stuff like fishing poles and horseshoes, becuase they have no idea how to price stuff. Big dusty old antique stores occasionally have something rescuable but it's mostly tool-shaped objects made of rust, wooden planes with mismatched or missing wedges and irons, and so so so many horrible old saws in completely unrecoverable condition

oh you can get a lot of recoverable small hand tools though, chisels and pliers and squares and that kind of thing though

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the riddle of wood

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

look at all that joinery

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

dumb experiment: see if I can make a bonesaw work as a tenon saw

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fully sick. how thick is the plate?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my plastic jawed ali calipers say 0.3mm

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

my plastic jawed ali calipers say 0.3mm

less than half a millimeter?? that cant be right, thats like 10 thou, thats two layers of aluminum foil

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I said it was my lovely calipers. let me get my slightly better ones

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

this saw was like $20 on Amazon. the teeth seem to be set mostly to one side which is odd idk if that's a bonesaw thing but it's easy enough to fix

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

thats real thin. how does it cut? my first instinct is that it should be set up as a pull saw but you'd have to grind all the teeth off and re cut em

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'll let you know after I reset the teeth

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

PokeJoe posted:

If only every wood tool only created easy to sweep up shavings. gently caress a sander

i know i'm mad late to reply to this post, but if you're using power tools like sanders regularly, and those sanders have a hookup, you gotta invest in one of these. they'll save you so much cleanup: https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-deputy/dust-collector-kits

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bro I say this w love: I live in a loving one bedroom apartment

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my "shop" is the corner of a glorified closet

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

update: bone saw cuts fine. we'll see how long the sharpness holds up on the stainless

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

spent $15 on some wood this morning

the one on the right is "tiger", idk exactly what that is but i'm sure i'll use it for something. the big piece of oak is 15x22, it's getting turned into a jewelry shelf/rack for my kid's room.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I kept sticking my fingers in the bonesaw handle hole so I filled it in w mahogany.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm gonna guess that the set on that saw being only one side is so you create your kerf on the part of the body you're gonna throw in the trash and leave very smooth clean bone on the part that stays attached to the live human

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

maybe. I asked my vet gf and she said she has no idea. in reality nobody uses saws like this any more it's all wire saws or power saws

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Elder Postsman posted:

spent $15 on some wood this morning

the one on the right is "tiger", idk exactly what that is but i'm sure i'll use it for something. the big piece of oak is 15x22, it's getting turned into a jewelry shelf/rack for my kid's room.

tiger wood is a thing, but it seems to have more contrast than that piece anyway, but maybe it's just cause it doesn't have finish on it

i got this chunk of maple that's at its smallest 3"x6.5"x20" for $15 from an antique shop of all places. it's got some gnarly checks and a little bark at one end but i think it'll make at least one if not two good bowl blanks. i wanna know what it looks like inside around those knots

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

turning has the highest ROI of all the woodworking hobbies imo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lately i have been making a rectangle

it's gonna be the top of a v. fancy tv tray basically

rn i am tryin' to decide how to edge it, super simple or fancy it up a bit or even maybe inlay??? it has a decently nice figure so maybe not fancy inlay but a bit of brass or sumthin could be cool may be

e. this is down from the #8 to the #5 and then #4 smoothed but not yet like properly smoothed

and this is my sketchy plan sketch

e. i just routed an ogee on an offcut and it looks p. good so I think Imma go with that

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 10, 2024

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

rotor posted:

turning has the highest ROI of all the woodworking hobbies imo

in terms of time absolutely. start with a big hunk of wood and have something pretty, functional, and finished in like an hour. in terms of money it's :homebrew: and I haven't even gotten into traditional tools and sharpening and my lathe is a crappy 5-speed midi

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i made a little 14" frame saw to resaw small planks

I had to figure out how to tension the blade so I made a little loose tenon w a threaded insert that i tension w the bolt on the back

gonna carve some handles in it and such but it assembled fine

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hell yeah frame saw

I had parts for a bigger one started and then it was my birthday and I just bought myself a giant bandsaw

edit: thats a real coarse blade, u cuttin green wood? If you need finer blades i have a bunch of chunks of old bandsaw blades that are still sharp.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if I had the space I'd love a real bandsaw but I'm limited to saws I can hang flat on the wall

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'll take some blade scraps if ur offerin. thats just the blade I had on hand

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

I'll take some blade scraps if ur offerin. thats just the blade I had on hand

I am. Pretty sure they're like 20-30" long. Cant tell for sure but i feel like they'd be long enough to fit that. DM me a place to send em.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah that's plenty long and I can cut them down to fit

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

i made a little 14" frame saw to resaw small planks

I had to figure out how to tension the blade so I made a little loose tenon w a threaded insert that i tension w the bolt on the back

gonna carve some handles in it and such but it assembled fine

what's going on with George there?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

he's sleeping

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

well, wake him up

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I already did. he went back to sleep

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this has been a real rollercoaster ride

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTC_ETWa3JA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't think I posted about it but I got that carbide burnisher for card scraper and I must admit it works well