Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Love the thread!

I've wanted one of these money pits but have never pulled the trigger.

Maintenance doesn't seem _that_ bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

jink posted:

Love the thread!

I've wanted one of these money pits but have never pulled the trigger.

Maintenance doesn't seem _that_ bad?

It's not. There are just way more steps to everything. It's actually been very similar maintenance difficulty wise to my brothers Lexus GS430.

Case in point:
The anguish everyone has been waiting for.

The recent cold snap killed the battery. (Yay -50C)
This is the replacement procedure:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-Cayenne/26-BASICS-Battery_Replacement/26-BASICS-Battery_Replacement.htm

Additionally, the housing on the DBW throttle body cracked and the cold and moisture killed the circuitry. Which threw a code of P1544.

So I'll be replacing both this afternoon. Standby for carnage.

The battery is a 95R, which is in elder millennial terms, a heckin' chonker.

The throttle body is a Bosch (Motorsports) 82mm.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Progress has been made.
Less pictures than I would like but it was still -14C in the garage.

Getting to this point only took 10m being very careful not to break any plastic trim pieces.
Yes I know it's filthy and yes, out of frame is a 18V hand vac.

This right here is why most Cayennes get weird electrical gremlins when the sunroof drains get clogged. Lowest point of the floor is right here and that's where water collects first.
Also, for shame Porsche. Further proves that all cars are poo poo.

Dead lead acid battery is finally visible.

It's out and the new AGM is in. No pictures since I was losing all feeling in my fingers.
Based on the date code stamped in the plastic, this battery is from January of 2011. The acid inside was sloshing around quite a bit so I am not surprised at all that it froze at -50C.

That's it for now as the throttle body hasn't shown up yet. It should have arrived on Monday :argh:

Edit: I should add that this is quite possibly the most dangerous job I have ever performed on a vehicle ever due to the clearance, angles and weight of the battery. The 95R weighs 27kg.
Lifting it out on an angle hunched over and contorted was an almost guaranteed back injury.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 17, 2024

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The new throttle body finally showed up.

That is indeed a 911 part number. The Bosch 82mm is used on 31 different Porsche vehicles from 2005 through 2019.

Step one, identify the work area and parts requiring replacement.

Step 2, remove the Y pipe and left and right post IC flex pipes. The Y-pipe is a Turbo S specific part. Larger diameter & volume. It rotates and locks in place.

Step 3, remove throttle body by removing 4 T25 screws.

The intake manifold is another Turbo S specific part.

Installation is reverse of removal.

All buttoned up.

Edit: It is too cold outside (or in my garage for that matter) to perform the DME throttle body calibration process however.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 18, 2024

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Here we go! Here comes the pain.

Almost got stranded on the way home from work.
What I thought could be bad fuel or dying fuel pump(s) was in fact a failed PCV system.
I don't think it's the check valves at least. Those are all less than a year old.
It's acting like a failed AOS membrane.

I'll know more tomorrow when I dig in.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
thought ya already did that!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

thought ya already did that!

I did! Not even 10 months ago.

Well that's a lot of oil where it shouldn't be.

Definitely blowing past the oil cap seal.

Yup. Way too much crankcase pressure.

Yeah, that's not good.

Root cause identified.

As suspected. Torn AOS (Air Oil Separator/PCV) membrane.

It's also suuuuper deformed. WTF.

Replacement is already on the way from KLA Performance Engineering.

Until the new one arrives, I'm going to try and glue the tear but I'm not hopeful.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Surely there's a way to bodge up a replacement system out of a Summit catalog, right?

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

At least it’s easy to get to - I’m dreading having to do the one on my 987.1 cayman s. It’s buried in there real good and probably overdue for replacement given that it just rolled over 100k miles.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Surely there's a way to bodge up a replacement system out of a Summit catalog, right?

There absolutely is.
I would be replacing everything in this image though:

That's a lot of norma fittings and PCV hose. There's a reason the factory Air Oil Separator is essentially the drivers side valve cover. There's no room anywhere else. If I didn't have the factory PDCC, I could definitely fit a universal summit AOS where the fluid reservoir lives.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

charliemonster42 posted:

At least it’s easy to get to - I’m dreading having to do the one on my 987.1 cayman s. It’s buried in there real good and probably overdue for replacement given that it just rolled over 100k miles.

If that's the original I'd order a replacement to have on the shelf for when that one fails. It wouldn't hurt to replace all the associated hoses as well while you're in there. I meant to do that over the past week but between freak snow and cold weather it didn't happen.

I grabbed everything from fcpeuro who have a pretty good video guide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PDn2qmwEAo
Porsche Engine Crankcase Breather Hose - Genuine Porsche 99610717550
Porsche Engine Crankcase Breather Hose - VNE 4008305
Porsche Engine Crankcase Breather Hose - VNE 4008307
Porsche Engine Crankcase Vent Valve Seal - Genuine Porsche 99970750740
Porsche Engine Oil Separator - Genuine Porsche 99610702601

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 22, 2024

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The new throttle body for sure fixed the CEL.
The old one lived a long life. 200k km out of a June 2008 mfg part is pretty good. Especially for something DBW.

Too much wear on the TPS traces? I can't be bothered to meter them out. So in the bin.

New AOS membrane from KLA Performance Engineering is also installed. Problem fixed.

I completed an oil change at the same time since I had to drain the intercoolers anyway and km wise I was due.
I drained 500mL of oil out of the driver's side IC and another 250mL out of the passenger side.

Hopefully this is it for now....

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Those Bosch can be finicky bastards, I run the Bosch 74mm from some Porsche on my K24 BRZ and before isolating the throttle body from the manifold the feet would wear through the traces at WOT and idle position in a few hours of track time.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

If that's the original I'd order a replacement to have on the shelf for when that one fails. It wouldn't hurt to replace all the associated hoses as well while you're in there. I meant to do that over the past week but between freak snow and cold weather it didn't happen.

I grabbed everything from fcpeuro who have a pretty good video guide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PDn2qmwEAo
Porsche Engine Crankcase Breather Hose - Genuine Porsche 99610717550
Porsche Engine Crankcase Breather Hose - VNE 4008305
Porsche Engine Crankcase Breather Hose - VNE 4008307
Porsche Engine Crankcase Vent Valve Seal - Genuine Porsche 99970750740
Porsche Engine Oil Separator - Genuine Porsche 99610702601

If I could give you a hug, I would. Thank you very much for this, I'll be ordering the parts ASAP. I just changed the oil on it this weekend, this will be next.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Another trouble free road trip completed.

Now to wait for an FCPEuro sale so I can finally replace the serpentine belt and idler bearings.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

Another trouble free road trip completed.

Now to wait for an FCPEuro sale so I can finally replace the serpentine belt and idler bearings.

Looks like you have to upgrade to a SSD drive too. And for a few seconds I wondered why the gently caress your head unit has a coin slot.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

evobatman posted:

Looks like you have to upgrade to a SSD drive too. And for a few seconds I wondered why the gently caress your head unit has a coin slot.

You know what, the head unit does have navigation so I bet there is a spinning disk in there.
I really should pull the whole unit this summer and figure out what's wrong with the 6 disc CD changer.

Haha, yeah that SIM card slot messes with everyone. :dafuq:

In other news, I've been racking up the km on it and we're back to a semblance of reliability.
I even tossed the keys to AB:AI legends Seat Safety Switch and Turbo Fondant and none of us are in prison and everyone and thing are still in one piece.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

I even tossed the keys to AB:AI legends Seat Safety Switch and Turbo Fondant and none of us are in prison and everyone and thing are still in one piece.

For a 5100-pound school bus it is more fun than it should be.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

It's not a project and other lies I tell myself.
They were basically free though! I couldn't turn down choo-choo and wooshy noises.
The seller was rear ended and their Cayenne written off. They were installed for less than 6 months.

https://www.evoms.com/Cayenne_TT_TTS_V_Flow_intake_system_EVOMS_p/intkvf955tt.htm

The filters are drying, after a thorough cleaning, now. I'll oil them tomorrow and should be able to install them Friday evening.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Obligatory before shot.

Always start with the easier side.

Old airbox removed. MAF cleaned "while I'm in there". Ready for the new.

New intake installed on the drivers side. Had to use a bolt from the Mazda bolt bin though. The factory Porsche one was too long.

On to the passenger side. I spent a solid 20 minutes just maneuvering the old airbox out trying not to break anything.

Finally.

And done.

Choo Choo and wooshy noises have been achieved.

It also appears that I did not break anything. No check engine lights at the moment anyway.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Nice score!

:drat: Those intakes are huge...

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

jink posted:

Nice score!

:drat: Those intakes are huge...

Yeah, they really are.

Now the big question, do I keep the originals or junk them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I see someone else got in on the Asahi costco deal lately :buddy:

Don't scrap 'em, if you have the room keep them. If you go to sell it put it back original and then sell the aftermarket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

I see someone else got in on the Asahi costco deal lately :buddy:

Don't scrap 'em, if you have the room keep them. If you go to sell it put it back original and then sell the aftermarket.

For a Perroni contract brew, the alcohol free Asahi Super Dry is surprisingly refreshing.

OG intakes are stored safely away in the shed.

Interestingly, the new intakes have exposed that my stock diverter valves are toast. I couldn't hear the tell tale honking before.

New universal Go Fast Bits 25mm Diverter valves ordered thanks to the local stat holiday sale.
AUD to CAD exchange rate equality to the rescue (of my wallet).