Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fuel pumps are apparently a common failure point as well.

Would recommend Trans fluid to see condition and at this age probably not a bad idea. The magnets will give you a better sense of how worn things are inside.

19's will also ride much nicer than the skinny sidewall stuff.

Make sure to exercise the low range and diff lock, another common failure point as the actuators sit unused for years.

Enjoy the little sunvisor above the rear view, it's a shame it was removed in the newer gens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

McTinkerson posted:

Air suspension at loading level is ridiculous.

You mean ridiculously perfect. :swoon:

Now, does the $20 muffler delete work on the 957 generation?

Remove locating pin that was used at the factory to facilitate assembly.

Insert 2" corrugated muffler tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MWSt0xh0QI

The complex theory behind this red-neck engineering

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

STR posted:

It's the "turbo" part that scares me. But maybe I've worked on too many GM turbos.

I can't even keep a Lexus running, so..

In this case the turbo part isn't scarey, it's the V8 part. As I found with my meth mobile, neglect, cold starts, and the lack of piston squirters means these have a reputation for scoring the bores and ticking themselves to death. Ironically they get mechanically totalled because high parts and labor costs combined with their low resale due to the scoring issue makes it a fools errand to keep the NA V8s running.

The turbo engines don't have this issue. As far as I know, the turbos themselves don't have a reputation for failing.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The factory cooler is pretty beefy for an OE cooler I'd say.

Full width, plus long aluminum lines to provide even more cooling as it circulates. I think the 958 also carries on with a similar sized cooler and 80SD Trans instead of the 60. Same base design but with two extra gears slapped in.