Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

After a lot of consideration I've decided it's my favorite game

it might not be my favourite game. but it is by far the best game ever made, no question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, you're making me want to try it, now. Intriguing premise

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
its absolutely worth your time major

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Outer Wilds is seriously great. Still haven't played the DLC, the base game is such a perfect clockwork package that the DLC being tied into the main game feels offputting although I'm sure they do it really well

they do manage it well and it's good, but yes also it does feel a little weird. the time mechanic begins to feel a little stilted in comparison for instance. still very enjoyable!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Any updates on your journey OP?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I play most games as mysteriously as I can so I’m the wrong guy to ask but the most mysterious game I’ve ever played is an old Dos game called The Manhole yeah yeah lol. Anyways, as an adult I recognize it as just offbeat and educational but even now I’m not sure if it’s possible to see anything like the end of the game. Good luck.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

I play most games as mysteriously as I can so I’m the wrong guy to ask but the most mysterious game I’ve ever played is an old Dos game called The Manhole yeah yeah lol. Anyways, as an adult I recognize it as just offbeat and educational but even now I’m not sure if it’s possible to see anything like the end of the game. Good luck.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I play videogames in the same way a magician would.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
wiz n liz, Sega genesis.

mystery points:

1. you haven't heard of it
2. wizards. conjuring
3. there's a cauldron where you mix fruit and veg you collect and get random poo poo depending on what combo you put in the pot. Endless mysteries! Extra life? Access to a shop? Random minigame????

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

thank you dragon

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lol. mmm dragon biscuit

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Cool. I think that was one of the few games Cyan made before Myst

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Lol. mmm dragon biscuit

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

This.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I learned the word indubitably from that game.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I play videogames in the same way a magician would.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Arrhythmia posted:

Cool. I think that was one of the few games Cyan made before Myst

that's correct. my favorite is Cosmic Osmo, which CD i think i still have somewhere. which is one of those CDs with a "data track" followed by a bunch of music tracks playable on an ordinary CD player

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

This unlocked a memory: Cyan made another cool educational game called Spelunx and the Caves of Mr. Seudo and it was pretty mysterious as well. Played a lot of the original mostly b+w version on my parents' macintosh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqNJCgnohWE

The big Teakettle room the player reaches early on is called the Arwen room, all of the hub rooms were named after literary characters like Tumnus. Minigames and puzzles everywhere. You could rearrange the entire map and set up password doors and stuff from within the cavern if you could find the controls. It felt like your own little world with all sorts of secrets. Absolutely goated for a kids' game

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

cosmic osmo was sick instead of learning anything or solving puzzles you just fly around loving with weird poo poo. and there's an rear end in a top hat called cosmic osmo who smells or something.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Arch Nemesis posted:

This unlocked a memory: Cyan made another cool educational game called Spelunx and the Caves of Mr. Seudo and it was pretty mysterious as well. Played a lot of the original mostly b+w version on my parents' macintosh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqNJCgnohWE

The big Teakettle room the player reaches early on is called the Arwen room, all of the hub rooms were named after literary characters like Tumnus. Minigames and puzzles everywhere. You could rearrange the entire map and set up password doors and stuff from within the cavern if you could find the controls. It felt like your own little world with all sorts of secrets. Absolutely goated for a kids' game

gently caress yeah @ this and The Manhole and basically any ancient macintosh game that looked like what Return of the Obra Dinn was trying to evoke with its aesthetic

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I approach games like I'm in an escape room, one of such high caliber that only Houdini could navigate. I also give my female characters the fattest asses possible.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K30UmVsqTn8&t=264s

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I approach games like I'm in an escape room, one of such high caliber that only Houdini could navigate. I also give my female characters the fattest asses possible.
Turning the difficulty to European Extreme and the asses to Brazilian Extreme

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

this kicks rear end. cool to look back at really old Cyan games and see how they went from there to Myst

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Turning the difficulty to European Extreme and the asses to Brazilian Extreme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

This.