Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Are those rental scooters still just left all over the city and in the ditch where you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I wish, do you know what those batteries went for at any given garage

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
yes

speng31b
May 8, 2010

not so much around here

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Are those rental scooters still just left all over the city and in the ditch where you live?

you know, now that you mention it, I've seen a lot less of these recently. still have plenty of the nike branded rental bikes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they're all in the lake

Griz
May 21, 2001

the ones here all vanished at some point during covid

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
free scrap

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Griz posted:

the ones here all vanished at some point during covid

They turned into homeless people maybe

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Stop doxxing me

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

They turned into homeless people maybe

cool like beauty and the beast

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

they're predominatly charged by people doing gig work so i have to assume that's still going on

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

theyre up your rear end

JustFollowingOrder
Mar 3, 2023

by vyelkin
16 years later and Divvy still has yet to expand into the suburbs, update their fleet to 50% electric, diversify their types of vehicles, etc

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

bedpan posted:

you know, now that you mention it, I've seen a lot less of these recently. still have plenty of the nike branded rental bikes

This is my experience- still here but probably a 90% reduction in volume and I think only one company left

JustFollowingOrder
Mar 3, 2023

by vyelkin
this place getting poor or?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Buck Wildman posted:

cool like beauty and the beast

I thought maybe more like this but in reverse

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

they get to leave these scooters about and here i am having to buy bags at checkpout when doing some grocery shopping

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

where I live the main company renting them out had to include an immobiliser fitted to a GPS tracker that will shut them down if they get within X distance (I forgot how much exactly) of the local river because people kept dumping them into the water

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

where I live the main company renting them out had to include an immobiliser fitted to a GPS tracker that will shut them down if they get within X distance (I forgot how much exactly) of the local river because people kept dumping them into the water

Huh. I figured people were just picking them up and carrying them to the river. Its funnier if they were swiping their credit card and trying to ride them in.

A few years ago (precovid) I was stumbling home from a bar and I drop kicked one over and it started beeping incessantly

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Huh. I figured people were just picking them up and carrying them to the river. Its funnier if they were swiping their credit card and trying to ride them in.

A few years ago (precovid) I was stumbling home from a bar and I drop kicked one over and it started beeping incessantly

they rent them, ride them to the dump point, and then strip out the lithium battery before dumping them. the batteries purportedly sell for a sweet profit for the effort and risk involved

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it's like you can get the equipment and team together to roll around cutting out catalytic converters and hope you don't get pinched by a pissed off car owner or you can solo scooters that most people don't give a poo poo about

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
i still see em everywhere

also i heard for a while you could buy a cheap conversion kit online to liberate one for personal use

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Apparently they still count as private property owned by whatever corporation even though they just dump them on the sidewalk, so if you do what comes naturally and smash them to bits you're actually doing a crime. hosed up because if i put a hotdog down on the sidewalk and walk away I'd consider my rights to the hotdog forfeit but i guess that doesn't apply to big scoot for some reason!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

i still see em everywhere

also i heard for a while you could buy a cheap conversion kit online to liberate one for personal use

yeah i remember this supposedly being easy a few years ago, i wonder if they changed things up or just claimed the losses with insurance

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
there were a lot of them then around roni they went away and now theyre back. i like to ride them sometimes its fun. kinda expensive tho. sucks

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Buck Wildman posted:

it's like you can get the equipment and team together to roll around cutting out catalytic converters and hope you don't get pinched by a pissed off car owner or you can solo scooters that most people don't give a poo poo about

Um why would you need a team? You need a jack and chain pipe cutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osaSc3VAMMg&t=30s

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Smythe posted:

there were a lot of them then around roni they went away and now theyre back. i like to ride them sometimes its fun. kinda expensive tho. sucks

:bighow:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

this motherfucker pays for scooters

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i havent been to the city in a while but last time i saw one i rode it for free until it threatened to call the cops on me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

i havent been to the city in a while but last time i saw one i rode it for free until it threatened to call the cops on me

u can hear them beeping plaintively as ppl gently caress with them lol. a mournful beep

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Smythe posted:

u can hear them beeping plaintively as ppl gently caress with them lol. a mournful beep

beeps mournfully

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

scootocchio

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i moved to a town that will never be significant enough to get scooter trash, but i remember seeing them thrown in bushes and in piles everywhere when i lived in portland

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

my big prejudice against them is that they're pretty expensive, 12 bucks an hour????????????

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I'll have to keep my eyes open next time I am out walking around but it does seem like most if not all of the scooters have vanished

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Smythe posted:

just drive a car

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Al! posted:

my big prejudice against them is that they're pretty expensive, 12 bucks an hour????????????

theyre so expensive. also the unlock fee is like $3 so even if u only ride it really short you still get owned. you can do a monthly (?) sub that gets rid of this fee and i think reduces the per mile cost as well. dunno the # of miles u'd have to ride on them to make this economical. i like to ride them home from dodger stadium or also to 7-11 or something to food places.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

just drive a car

less fun by a country mile & also my parking lot is very annoying to go and leave from, requiring austin powers 50 pt turn every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
get one of those mr bean 3 wheel cars