Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Treecko posted:

Your friends little brother made Plank?

Didn't Plank actually have a face painted on? This kid was just applying water over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

volunteering to help the needy

lol at helping people for free

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Gambling is pretty lame. Fine for a casual once a year Vegas trip or something but if you're betting on sports or horses regularly you have a mental disease.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I like tarot though :confused: I am pretty sure tarot is just astrology with more shuffling

Granted, I'd never pay for it, other than buying decks. Of which I have one. That I got when I was fifteen from Borders Books and Music.

e: I think magic the gathering is pretty lame too and have the hundreds of hours of play at all levels and formats under my belt to say that definitively :smugdog:

I will defend tarot: It has legitimate use as a storytelling tool, which is what makes it useful for people as a sort of "fortune telling" thing. There's absolutely nothing mystical or magical or arcane about it, but a good tarot reading will create a small fictional narrative (about the cards and their meanings) that lets the person the reading is for imagine their own personal problems as if they're part of this third-person fictional narrative that isn't about them. It lets them turn themselves into a 'character' and look at their problems from the perspective of an outsider, with less personal and emotional attachment because everything is made ambiguous enough to not be about "them". It's helpful that it gives no actual advice because that's not the point - it's not here for me to be able to tell you how to fix your problems - it's here for me to give you a different perspective on your problems that might lead to an epiphany yourself about what to do. And it's vague enough that the person reading the cards doesn't have to know anything about your personal problems to help.

I learned how to read tarot purely as a storytelling tool because it's just a great way to generate a narrative - if you don't know what to write next, draw a card, because they all have vague ambiguous meanings with just enough semblance of continuity and symbolism to give you a fairly solid idea of how that little meta-narrative could apply to your character/story. And I also like doing tarot readings for people because it's surprising how helpful they find it, but I always explain my whole thing about how there's nothing mystical and magical about it and how/why it works immediately before or after the reading.

Astrology is absolute bullshit though it's all based on made-up pseudoscience about the position of planets and stars and it's all explicitly written to make the reader feel like their special day is finally (or almost) here, it's a product made to suck up your money because it makes you feel good. And anyone who tries to tell you that there's any actual magic to tarot is similarly absolute bullshit.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 20, 2023

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

deep dish peat moss posted:

I will defend tarot: It has legitimate use as a storytelling tool, which is what makes it useful for people as a sort of "fortune telling" thing. There's absolutely nothing mystical or magical or arcane about it, but a good tarot reading will create a small fictional narrative (about the cards and their meanings) that lets the person the reading is for imagine their own personal problems as if they're part of this third-person fictional narrative that isn't about them. It lets them turn themselves into a 'character' and look at their problems from the perspective of an outsider, with less personal and emotional attachment because everything is made ambiguous enough to not be about "them". It's helpful that it gives no actual advice because that's not the point - it's not here for me to be able to tell you how to fix your problems - it's here for me to give you a different perspective on your problems that might lead to an epiphany yourself about what to do. And it's vague enough that the person reading the cards doesn't have to know anything about your personal problems to help.

I learned how to read tarot purely as a storytelling tool because it's just a great way to generate a narrative - if you don't know what to write next, draw a card, because they all have vague ambiguous meanings with just enough semblance of continuity and symbolism to give you a fairly solid idea of how that little meta-narrative could apply to your character/story. And I also like doing tarot readings for people because it's surprising how helpful they find it, but I always explain my whole thing about how there's nothing mystical and magical about it and how/why it works immediately after the reading.

Astrology is absolute bullshit though it's all based on made-up pseudoscience about the position of planets and stars and it's all explicitly written to make the reader feel like their special day is finally (or almost) here, it's a product made to suck up your money because it makes you feel good.

Huh. I never thought about this before. By your logic though, astrology can do the same thing. Or at least getting your birth chart done i guess. It throws out a bunch of traits and you think about whether they apply to you or not, changing your perspective on yourself and your personality, maybe it helps some people recognize their good traits when they are usually focused on their failures or vice versa.

Horoscopes are just narratives too. So you would think about your problems or what is going on in your life and how it compares to that narrative. I think the whole "daily horoscope" thing is pretty dumb and they're just throwing things out every day and you just remember the ones that apply to you. But I've also seen where some astrology focuses on different time periods during the year and more general concepts vs "stay away from gambling today!" Or whatever.

Then there's compatibility between signs. I feel like that gives you a new perspective on the relationship and I've seen some pretty good general relationship advice come up on those things.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Being in existence

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jugging

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Like this is what my chart says about my sun sign

I actually relate to a ton of this (but not the"usually well liked" part). Does that mean astrology determined who i am? It doesn't make logical sense but emotionally it makes me feel like i understand myself better. That's what astrology is really supposed to do i feel like. So does it matter if it accomplished that by predicting who i am or if it did it by giving me a different perspective?

dk2m
May 6, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

I will defend tarot: It has legitimate use as a storytelling tool, which is what makes it useful for people as a sort of "fortune telling" thing.

drat, now I want to do a tarot reading, that’s pretty cool

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

That's such a typical sagittarius post

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Answered in the first reply, close the thread

I would confess to being into lots of the other hobbies listed in this thread, but posting on SA is definitely a secret shame

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Konar posted:

Skincare, astrology, self help poo poo, stuff like that. Really anything focused on the self is a stupid and bad hobby

the misogyny thread is in CSPAM

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dixville posted:

Huh. I never thought about this before. By your logic though, astrology can do the same thing. Or at least getting your birth chart done i guess. It throws out a bunch of traits and you think about whether they apply to you or not, changing your perspective on yourself and your personality, maybe it helps some people recognize their good traits when they are usually focused on their failures or vice versa.

Horoscopes are just narratives too. So you would think about your problems or what is going on in your life and how it compares to that narrative. I think the whole "daily horoscope" thing is pretty dumb and they're just throwing things out every day and you just remember the ones that apply to you. But I've also seen where some astrology focuses on different time periods during the year and more general concepts vs "stay away from gambling today!" Or whatever.

Then there's compatibility between signs. I feel like that gives you a new perspective on the relationship and I've seen some pretty good general relationship advice come up on those things.

The reason I feel differently about astrology and horoscopes is mostly because they're not "interactive" or personal - it's one blanket reading that the newspaper or book or whatever gives to an entire 1/12 of the population, and the outlook they provide is generally more vague and overall positive ('today is your day!') because it's a syndicated daily/weekly/monthly thing that they want their reader to keep coming back to, compared to tarot which is a one-time event (usually) where the meaning of any given thing could be either positive or ominous.

Yeah sometimes horoscopes will say "Be wary of <xyz> today!" but with Tarot you'll get a card that on one hand could "mean" overcoming your greatest adversities and triumphing over them, or it could mean succumbing to them - and yeah that's absolutely "bullshit" but the point of it is that in the listener's mind, they're subconsciously associating that greatest adversity with something specific and personal to them, and looking at the situation from the outside perspective that tarot gives them they have a clearer-than-normal idea of whether "they" (the character in the "story" that tarot is creating) would overcome that adversity or not - so on a subconscious level, they "know" which one of those two meanings the card has. Or maybe they don't and that helps narrow down the problem: that they don't know.

But I get your point and yeah you're right that Horoscopes could be used the same way. I think (? Maybe I'm wrong, I am not that familiar with them tbh) you'd have to kind of deliberately think about a horoscope in that framing to get that use out of it , where with Tarot that's just kind of what it does organically, without the listener (or oftentimes even the one reading the cards) knowing it. And that other astrology stuff (seasonal planet charts or whatever) might be just as useful, I don't know enough about them to have an opinion.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 21, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

dk2m posted:

drat, now I want to do a tarot reading, that’s pretty cool

If you mean you want to do one yourself then I would suggest the Celtic Cross because it's ideal for the kind of thing I talked about with tarot. First think of a problem that you want to analyze. Draw one card at a time to fill out each of the positions, after each draw look up the "meaning" of that card in whatever tarot reference you want (they're all over the internet and they're all slightly different), and think about how that card could be analogous to that position in reference to the original problem. You don't have to worry about doing the whole laying the cards out in the shape of a sacred astral sigil mumbo jumbo unless that kind of stuff is fun to you.

It doesn't always "work" but surprisingly it does more often than not. But it probably works better when someone else does it for you because the whole point is kind of detaching yourself from the problem, and if you're doing a reading for yourself with the explicit purpose of analyzing that problem it will probably still feel personal. When someone else does it for you without knowing what the actual problem is, they can be vague about it and look at it pragmatically which helps provide a perspective different from your own.

If you mean you want to have someone do a reading for you I can post a thread sometime, I've done it before and it was fun, but I'm about to have to go without my meds for a couple days so it would need to wait :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 21, 2023

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
once I had a dream that spiders were crawling all over me and when I got in my car to go to work that morning a spider crawled across the windshield, so I went inside and called out sick.

is that what we're talking about here?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

outdoorsmanship

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

once I had a dream that spiders were crawling all over me and when I got in my car to go to work that morning a spider crawled across the windshield, so I went inside and called out sick.

is that what we're talking about here?

Doing the right thing is a lame hobby yeah

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Crabwalking everywhere

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Off road driving/mudding,

Oh look at me I'm a big man driving my 2 ton 4WD through the bush 20 meters away from a paved road tearing the poo poo out of what little bushland still exists Bro It makes me hard thinking about how much native habitat I destroyed today just loving around for the hell of it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Dixville posted:

Like this is what my chart says about my sun sign

I actually relate to a ton of this (but not the"usually well liked" part). Does that mean astrology determined who i am? It doesn't make logical sense but emotionally it makes me feel like i understand myself better. That's what astrology is really supposed to do i feel like. So does it matter if it accomplished that by predicting who i am or if it did it by giving me a different perspective?

By your best estimate, how do you think it accomplished that? It's not tailored to you in any real way, other than being arbitrarily assigned to people who were born around a certain part of the year. The person who wrote this knows nothing about you and has never met you. If it feels profound, it's probably more because of its initial claim that it's specifically made for you, rather than any of its actual content. You'd get the same effect from reading Leo's or Virgo's description if they simply changed the title to Aquarius. These things are basically just collections of generic motivational phrases. Most of the statements are positive things that almost anyone would like to apply to themselves, sprinkled with less likely but more exciting gambles that delight the reader when true but can be easily brushed the side when they don't land.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
:rice:

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
Lurking

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Lyrics

Videos

Shopping

Images

Books

News

Maps

Flights

Finance

All filters

Feedback

Tools

Your Horoscope for Today

/

Lyrics

Main Results

Aquarius
There's travel in your future
When your tongue freezes to the back of a speeding bus
Fill that void in your pathetic life
By playing whack-a-mole 17 hours a day

Pisces
Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the ebola virus
You are the true Lord of the dance
No matter what those idiots at work say

Aries
The look on your face will be priceless
When you find that 40 pound watermelon in your colon
Trade toothbrushes with an albino dwarf, then give a hickey to Meryl Streep

Taurus
You will never find true happiness
What you gonna do, cry about it?
The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up
Do a bunch of stuff and then go back to sleep

That's your horoscope for today (that's your horoscope for today)
That's your horoscope for today

Gemini
Your birthday party will be ruined
Once again by your explosive flatulence
Your love life will run into trouble
When your fiancé hurls a javelin through your chest

Cancer, the position of Jupiter says that
You should spend the rest of the week face down in the mud
Try not to shove a roll of duct tape up your nose while taking your driver's test

Leo
Now is not a good time to photocopy your butt
And staple it to your bosses face, oh no
Eat a bucket of tuna-flavored pudding
Then wash it down with a gallon of Strawberry Quik

Virgo
All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you
Expect a big surprise today
When you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick

Now you may find it inconceivable or rather very least a bit unlikely that
The relative position of the planets and the stars
Could have a special deep significance or meaning
That exclusively applies to only you

But, let me give you my assurance that
These forecasts and predictions are all based on
Solid, scientific, documented evidence
So you would have to be some kind of moron
Not to realize that every single one of them is absolutely true

Where was I?

Libra
A big promotion is just around
The corner for someone much more talented than you
Laughter is the very best medicine
Remember that when your appendix bursts next week

Scorpio, get ready for an
Unexpected trip
When you fall screaming from an open window
Work a little bit harder on improving your low self-esteem, you stupid freak

Sagittarius
All your friends are laughing behind your back (kill them)
Take down all those naked pictures of
Ernest Borgnine, you've got hanging in your den

Capricorn
The stars say that you're an exciting and wonderful person
But, you know they're lying
If I were you, I'd lock my doors and windows
And never, never, never, never, never leave my house again

That's your horoscope for today (yay, yay, yay, yay, yay)

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Strategic Tea posted:

Anything involving beards or beard maintenance.

On the other end of the spectrum, being obsessed with wet shaving.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Devils Affricate posted:

By your best estimate, how do you think it accomplished that? It's not tailored to you in any real way, other than being arbitrarily assigned to people who were born around a certain part of the year. The person who wrote this knows nothing about you and has never met you. If it feels profound, it's probably more because of its initial claim that it's specifically made for you, rather than any of its actual content. You'd get the same effect from reading Leo's or Virgo's description if they simply changed the title to Aquarius. These things are basically just collections of generic motivational phrases. Most of the statements are positive things that almost anyone would like to apply to themselves, sprinkled with less likely but more exciting gambles that delight the reader when true but can be easily brushed the side when they don't land.

Yeah I don't really believe in it either. I don't make decisions in my life based on it or anything. I was kinda playing devils advocate just trying to make astrology make sense somehow. That was my first mistake

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its weed. Weed is cool and fun to smoke but if you've incorporated it so much into your identity and overall consumption habits that it approaches hobby territory you're a massive boring dork.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

laserghost posted:

my idiot father just bought bread machine so I'm gonna add making your own bread at home, too

this is the worst opinion Ive ever seen wtf

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its weed. Weed is cool and fun to smoke but if you've incorporated it so much into your identity and overall consumption habits that it approaches hobby territory you're a massive boring dork.

so glad my drug hobby involves cracking open cold ones at the bar with near-strangers

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

wizard2 posted:

this is the worst opinion Ive ever seen wtf

it's also weird to regard it as a hobby at all. is ordering takeout once a week a hobby?

maybe some people make it into something more? but we just make the same two loaves every couple weeks and it takes like 20 minutes work total, and the bread is better than anything we can buy economically. i imagine that to be common (more common than being a bbq nerd but for bread, i mean)

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 21, 2023

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Dehydrating things (jerky, fruits etc) except drying chilis, that is cool

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Jelly posted:

i've started to feel bad about dunking on astrology earlier because it's still cooler / less insane than actual religion

you never hear about "astrologers" who actually have jobs in astrology but there's millions of priests

also i never hear about space-sign people loving kids

believing in God is the lamest hobby

We literal billions of theists who don't gently caress kids would like to personally apologise to you for boring you with our very existence and having heartfelt beliefs different to yours hobby.

I've met a number if people who do charts for money, and it turns out any bad astrological advice anyone's ever received is because punters didn't hire the likes of them at a very premium reasonable rates. Yes, why don't you find such an '"expert", and then choose your partner, job, place to live, vehicle, internet forum and indeed hobby, based on the constellations and planets, how could that go wrong, I bet many lives have been saved and massively improved that way, really makes u think.

Perhaps your hobby could be joining some space sign group like those ones who "took a trip" out of life as we know it on that comet, it's OK you know they're good and harmless, just do everything they tell you.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 21, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I make music as a hobby.

So yeah, sorry, deep dish peat moss nailed it on page one y'all.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Cast iron cookware collecting.

Everything I read online is essentially weirdos stripping and reseasoning their pan several dozen times a week because a microscopic blemish appeared after using it to cook fried eggs. Using kosher salt and paper towels to “clean” them after each use. Grinding down the gritty surface of a new Lodge pan because they’re too impatient to cook a couple of rounds of bacon it and want that slick non-stick surface right loving now :wtf: That 1930’s Griswold pan has been used and abused for almost 100 years and you’re gonna ruin it babying it like that. Just loving cook in it and wash and dry it like a normal pan, holy poo poo.

Pneub posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, being obsessed with wet shaving.

Yeah, if you call your bathroom a “shave den” and have multiple brushes and razors on open display, just fuckin’ :lol:

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 21, 2023

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Jelly posted:

i've started to feel bad about dunking on astrology earlier because it's still cooler / less insane than actual religion

you never hear about "astrologers" who actually have jobs in astrology but there's millions of priests

also i never hear about space-sign people loving kids

believing in God is the lamest hobby
Astrology is a nothing but vulgar expression of the NeoPlatonism at the heart of Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

coldpudding posted:

Off road driving/mudding,

Oh look at me I'm a big man driving my 2 ton 4WD through the bush 20 meters away from a paved road tearing the poo poo out of what little bushland still exists Bro It makes me hard thinking about how much native habitat I destroyed today just loving around for the hell of it.

yeah i hate this purposeless off roading. if it's for a reason like overlanding to camp at a climb site or recce for rally or whatever then at least its justifiable. and typically you try to find the best driving line. purposely seeking out bad terrain to get stuck in is so loving dumb lol

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

i smoke a poo poo ton of weed but nobody really knows except my GF. i save it for the end of the day, that has always been the rule. yeah sometimes the day ends at 2pm

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah i hate this purposeless off roading. if it's for a reason like overlanding to camp at a climb site or recce for rally or whatever then at least its justifiable. and typically you try to find the best driving line. purposely seeking out bad terrain to get stuck in is so loving dumb lol

oh yeah gently caress this poo poo. 4 wheelers/snowmobiles the whole culture of that is garbage poo poo. just noise and trail pollution for cheap thrills.

but occasionally those idiots decapitate themselves on a fenceline or body slam an oak tree at 90mph

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 21, 2023

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Trust me everyone knows you smoke weed it's a distinctive smell

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

BigBadSteve posted:

We literal billions of theists who don't gently caress kids would like to personally apologise to you for boring you with our very existence and having heartfelt beliefs different to yours hobby.

I've met a number if people who do charts for money, and it turns out any bad astrological advice anyone's ever received is because punters didn't hire the likes of them at a very premium reasonable rates. Yes, why don't you find such an '"expert", and then choose your partner, job, place to live, vehicle, internet forum and indeed hobby, based on the constellations and planets, how could that go wrong, I bet many lives have been saved and massively improved that way, really makes u think.

Perhaps your hobby could be joining some space sign group like those ones who "took a trip" out of life as we know it on that comet, it's OK you know they're good and harmless, just do everything they tell you.

Looks like someone owns a Ford Taurus

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Backing your pickup truck into a parking space at Wawa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The cast iron pan thing reminds me of how in the middle decades of the 20th century people who wanted to be cool and sophisticated ate fancy salads with dressing and everything in wooden bowls that they never washed. The more nasty and rancid your salad bowls were, the more awesome you were.