Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Places displayed in the game's Vantage Point collectibles are real, as discussed in the most recent video linked last page. I will let viewers conduct further necessary research. I did once live in the area displayed, which made the game particularly memorable for me. :)

There are errors in the video commentary as to locations displayed, but I will not point them out unless given permission by coop52. I wish to avoid spoilers. There are other places on the web that display information correctly, the interested audience can look for themselves.

My favorite game collectible for HZD's main game is the Vantage Points. A close second is the Banuk figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coop52
May 10, 2009

achtungnight posted:

Places displayed in the game's Vantage Point collectibles are real, as discussed in the most recent video linked last page. I will let viewers conduct further necessary research. I did once live in the area displayed, which made the game particularly memorable for me. :)

There are errors in the video commentary as to locations displayed, but I will not point them out unless given permission by coop52. I wish to avoid spoilers. There are other places on the web that display information correctly, the interested audience can look for themselves.

My favorite game collectible for HZD's main game is the Vantage Points. A close second is the Banuk figures.

Go for it. I'm pretty sure my comment about the metro area might be incorrect, though to be fair my reference point is the Atlanta metro area, which takes up pretty much most of north-central GA.

I love the effort they put in with the Vantage points' story. The other collectables are pretty neat as well with the effort they put in for worldbuilding.

coop52 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 21, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

All those ziplines are at suicidal angles with no real braking system remind me of the goon made ripline, ah, memories.

Also that spiky building in the air force academy vantage point is the cadet chapel, it is visually remarkable and history has so far failed to happen in interesting ways inside.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep.13 Where's a robo Border Collie when you need one?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sorry for delayed response, lots going on in life.

As mentioned, among the buildings depicted in the Horizon: Zero Dawn Vantage Points is the United States Air Force Academy Cadet Chapel, located in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

There is also a statue of pioneers featured in the opening credits of the game that exists in the same area in the real world.

As the game continues, we will see more real-world objects and places from Colorado and the nearby states of Utah and Arizona. Montana and Wyoming will be shown off in the game's Frozen Wilds DLC, while California and Nevada will feature more prominently in the sequel Forbidden West. I am hoping my personal home state, Texas, may be featured later. Maybe Oklahoma, Kansas, or some other Western State will show up also. We'll see.

There is a prominent but unconfirmed fan theory that Horizon heroine Aloy's tribe of origin, the Nora, take the inspiration of their name from the NORAD military bunker located near Colorado Springs, Colorado. We will see more influence from US military and scientific organizations throughout the game also, especially in the sequel.

This game is awesome, and the LP is also. I am pleased to see the LP continue.

New Machines-

Lancehorn- mechanical antelope, Pronghorn or Gazelle type.

Looking forward to the LP's continuance soon. West, to Meridian!

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 14 The Road to Meridian

Lots of new machine sightings in this video. I won't take on some of the bigger dudes until I get better gear, at least until I can get a purple ropecaster and something that has ice on it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Dropping new machines tally as of this video m, not sure anyone is paying attention besides me. OP seems well-coordinated enough on their own.

Coop52- Stormbirds are definitely too hard to handle right now, Thunderjaws too. Tramplers may be possible but yeah, we shouldn’t add Stormbirds too. Hope you don’t forget the quests that take you back to the Nora lands which you can pick up in Daytower, one of them shows off Snapmaws pretty well. Snapmaws are my favorite machines in the game, and the quest has no other machines in the required areas if I recall correctly. It’s the quest with the bad singing, if you need specifics. I agree that Glinthawks are annoying as heck, they’re probably my least favorite machines after another we haven’t seen yet.

Zaid is definitely untrustworthy. Creep.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Glinthawks are awful and I hope the people who designed and approved them stub their toes, all of them, really hard.

The hunting trials are really irritating to me because the game tosses a few dozen options to mix and match as you please for each encounter and then there's these trials that are more or less tutorials long after you get a solid handle on the game.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE

Ep. 15 Detective Aloy is on the case
Ep. 15a Detective Aloy is on the case (no commentary over cutscenes)

We made it to Ep. 15, feels like a milestone :toot:

achtungnight posted:

I agree that Glinthawks are annoying as heck, they’re probably my least favorite machines after another we haven’t seen yet.

I think I might know the one you're thinking about...

SIGSEGV posted:

The hunting trials are really irritating to me because the game tosses a few dozen options to mix and match as you please for each encounter and then there's these trials that are more or less tutorials long after you get a solid handle on the game.

A couple of the trials are weird in that they show you that "hey you can do this thing" but the mechanic they show you either rarely comes up (I can count the number of log piles I've encountered in the wild on one hand) or is impractical in actual combat.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The machine I’m thinking about has a serious damage sponge ability, several weak points it’s hard to target precisely, and thankfully does not appear in this game’s sequel. A version of it is also the final challenge of this game. Does that narrow it down a bit? Hope I’m being vague enough that fans know but unfamiliar players are trembling. :)

Off to watch the latest video.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Enjoyed the latest video. It’s a good showcase of why my headcanon Aloy has a Focus that once belonged to a detective. It has programs for Forensics, tracking, cataloguing enemies & evidence, targeting, even a suggestion AI for dealing with difficult suspects and the mentally challenged. The AI also picks up on the wearer’s hobbies such as hunting, climbing, and exploring. It projects lights on the environment to aid these. Truly a great invention, the Focus. How it does so much on solar power in such a little package is amazing. I wonder if we’ll ever get anything like it in the real world.

Meridian has a good economy, you can find almost anything in the game there and acquire it without leaving if you have the funds. Nothing quite like it in the sequel, sad to say.

Do you have a Fox Skin yet? And the special thing you can get with a Fox Skin that makes the game so much easier? If not, hope you can pick it up soon.

Daughter’s Vengeance is one of my favorite side quests in the game. Hope Nokoa comes back in the sequel, maybe as Sona’s assistant war chief. Or a Seeker in retrospect. You can’t find her after the quest in Meridian, sadly. Or at least I never have found her. I agree she needs therapy, but she’s a good character nonetheless.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 16 Tactical Retreat

:eng101: The instruments that they invented are called the Kunabass, Iron Pendulin, and Braumdrum. Here's a neato video from the team talking about what all went into making these instruments: Horizon Zero Dawn | Inventing Instruments

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I was unaware of the musical instruments in the game. Cool! Glad you’re showing off the Gold Fast Travel Pack and the Hunter’s Lodge. I like the Sun Priests too. So many larger than life characters in the game.

Shell walkers are annoying to me. Their shields and loot crates are annoying. The machines guarding their convoys are also annoying. Good tactics on your part against them.

Chargers are another rideable machine, probably my favorite. They do more with them in the sequel.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 17 This is my boomstick

Fun sidequest featuring a great NPC.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Bandits, they come in different serving sizes, wandering squad, camp garrison, and, as seen here, in assaulting infantry division.

I'm not sure where this town gets its food from but I'll say it's reasonable to imagine they trade for it, the stormbirds attack half the caravans and turn their cargo into fuel, that's gotta be why there's so many of them around.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I too appreciate Petra as a character. She’s a fan favorite.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 18 Don't hurt the Tallneck :(

Time to save one of our Tallneck bros from some cultists

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm a lot more obsessive when it comes to stealth, just slow movement, camping in the tall grass, circling corners from long range and popping everything starting from the top ones.

Speaking of tall grass, I'm mildly annoyed that the different biomes don't get different tall grasses, that would have been neat.

coop52
May 10, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

I'm a lot more obsessive when it comes to stealth, just slow movement, camping in the tall grass, circling corners from long range and popping everything starting from the top ones.

Speaking of tall grass, I'm mildly annoyed that the different biomes don't get different tall grasses, that would have been neat.

There's been a number of times where I park in what I think is tall grass (tall enough to cover me crouched, reddish looking) but am still visible and get nailed for it due to it not being official Tall Grass™ :argh:

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
just dropping in to say thank you for the LP so far! This has always been a game I never ended up finishing so looking forward to the rest.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 19 Law and Order: Meridian

Let's hang out with our dude Erend for a bit. Still irritated about not getting any parts I needed from those machines :mad:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Erend is my favorite character in this game. Like many fans, I've shipped him and Aloy. Probably won't happen in canon, but you never know. There are other characters he might also be shipped with. Poor guy deserves some love. :)

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 20 Lake Placid
Time to head back to the Nora lands for a bit to clean up some sidequests

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Snapmaw Lake quest can go a couple of different ways. If you don't already have the bow when you talk to the drunk soldier, you're prompted to get it and kill the Snapmaws.

The Banuk peaceful machines quest is one of my favorites in the game.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The Banuk wire implants look incredibly painful and prone to infection. I'm sure they manage.

I note that you don't pay all that much attention to the enemy attention / attack markers, you get golfed for that quite a bit.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 21 Ravager Cannon Fodder
Ep. 21a Ravager Cannon Fodder (no commentary over cutscenes)

Time for the thrilling conclusion to the Banuk "friendly" machines sidequest and some other stuff and a bit of story too

SIGSEGV posted:

I note that you don't pay all that much attention to the enemy attention / attack markers, you get golfed for that quite a bit.

I noticed that too when I edited, stupid tunnel vision :bang:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Good developments in today's update showing off some of my favorite quests in the game. Keep up the good work.

"This is complicated" is indeed a delaying option. It comes down to kill or spare on the associated choice. Most players I've seen pick the latter option. This is the canon option, I hope, I like the character in question. We'll see if he ever actually comes back in a later game.

The jerk noble is indeed a jerk. Glad he gets what he deserves. That quest is written well.

This video introduces my favorite major character in the game and also mentions my least favorite enemy. Looking forward to seeing more of both.

Horizon Zero Dawn's sandbox nature makes it a difficult game to LP. You may want to be careful jumbling your videos like this in the future. Remember the Banuk advice at the beginning of the video. One step at a time.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 22 (Cauldron) Rho Rho Rho Your Boat

New Cauldron, new friends to override.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 23 Apocashitstorm Collection Tour Part 2: Sacred Lands/Valley Meet

Time to collect the remaining ancient vessels, figures, flowers, and Vantages in the Sacred Lands and in Valley Meet (the valley between the Nora and Carja lands)

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Skyrimming is one of the best climbing techniques there is, frankly I find that the game suffers from being so pretty as it makes terrain readability terrible.

Also don't forget to ask the ancient vessels guy about his opinions regarding them.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 24 Cartastrophe

Let's find that lady's husband who went missing with his cart. Also, return of Nil!

Little spark :unsmith:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Good to see Nil back in this episode. Sorry I missed commenting on the last few, I have been prioritizing other fanworks of mine.

Note regarding Nil- He has up to six appearances in the game. This latest video marks the second part of his quest, I think. You can miss him if you're not careful. If you clear a Bandit Camp before talking to Nil (he appears at the first, third, and fifth of the 6 in the game, minus the Frozen Wilds DLC, I think), you will miss opportunity to learn his backstory and personality. This can inhibit your appreciation of him. The fifth and sixth possible appearance of Nil we'll address in due time.

Smart not to fight Tramplers and Thunderjaws together. Both machines are bad news.

Behemoths are difficult machines to fight, though they can be lucrative. They are not my least favorite Machine in the game, but they can be more annoying than Glinthawks under the right circumstances.

"To Old Acquaintance..." is a fun quest. For challenge, try to do it without killing any Tramplers. Overriding them if you can do it helps.

I hope to see more of the Oseram society in the next Horizon game. I say that as a big fan of the Hulu series "Handmaid's Tale".

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 25 Corruption Arrows Are Fun

Broke down and bought a Trampler Heart but finally got the Shadow War Bow! Carja (blue grade) Warbow also gives you access to ice, but only the Shadow one has Corruption, which makes it more fun. Also, the continuation of the Hunter's Lodge quest chain.

PS: for those who don't have a Playstation, the PC port of Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition is only $17 during the Summer Steam Sale.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Thought for a second you were announcing that the sequel had made it to PC and got all excited

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad they got away from loot boxes in the sequel. The random content of these items drove me nuts at times.

The second Hunters' Lodge mission is annoying but fun. Interesting facts- you can visit the Snapmaw hunting blind before the mission and observe a lot of dead machines. You can't do anything to address the situation before starting the mission, though. It is also possible to either kill or make peace with the hunters. If you have a Snapmaw Heart when you first speak to them, you will automatically do the latter. This has been upsetting to me in the past.

Talanah is a good Hunt partner and friend for Aloy. One of many she acquires in the game.

Ahsis is indeed an a-hole. Looking forward to his future appearances. :)

"Aloy despite the Nora" is a fun in-joke name between Aloy and Talanah, as fans know.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 26 Fully Automated Robo Capitalism
Ep. 26a Fully Automated Robo Capitalism (no commentary over cutscenes)

Here we are folks, Makers End, where the plot really starts picking up. This is one of my favorite quests.

Hello Sailor posted:

Thought for a second you were announcing that the sequel had made it to PC and got all excited

Sorry to get your hopes up :( There's some speculation about a Forbidden West port being announced in the next year or so since the Zero Dawn port came out 3 years after the original release. The other theory is that it'll be released once Horizon 3 is announced as kind of a promo.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Maker's End was a surprise to me when I first played it. I went in blind, no spoilers, did not know the revelations I was soon to experience. As many other players did also. I agree this mission is one reason HZD has such critical acclaim.

The Deathbringer is the Machine I have referenced before as my least favorite in the game. The one in this mission is not too dangerous, but they do get worse.

The Ted-Elisabeth back and forth is one of my favorite parts of the game.

I'm playing the latest DLC for Horizon 2 right now and enjoying it. Looking forward to when this LPer gets there, hope their dedication remains strong.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The modern materials in the ages old crate embedded in silt on an age old shelf is a grand tradition of dungeon delving, the ancient spaceship your ancestors used to reach this world and on the sediment encrusted hull of which your entire culture has thrived and developed contains a number of crates of +5 swords, and the pre cataclysm world subterranean supply crates of the coder caves contain ridge-wood and ready to be used as arrow head metal shards.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 27 A Song of Storm and Thunder

Time to take on the big guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I really like the relationship dynamics between Aloy & Sylens. Neither tries to dominate the other’s life or is dishonest about who they are and what they want from each other. Or at least that’s my opinion. As someone who in real life has an ongoing relationship with various influencers constantly trying to pull my beliefs one way or another via the media (I have written celebrity gossip fanfiction and get too into that stuff sometimes, to make an understatement), this is extremely refreshing. I wish there were more relationships like Aloy & Sylens in real life.

Regarding Lance Reddick, his full acting resume should be on Wikipedia or IMDB. I haven’t seen all of it, but from what I have experienced- The Wire is great. So are Fridge & the Amazon series Bosch. I hear Lance will play Zeus in the first season of Disney Plus’ Percy Jackson, I expect that to be good also. On video games, I have not played Destiny, but I hear he’s great as Commander Zavala in that series. Same is true of Quantum Break. On movies, I have enjoyed the John Wick franchise and White House Down, also Angel has Fallen and Godzilla vs. Kong. I won’t plug any other specific works, but… follow your interests, see where they lead and enjoy what you enjoy. Lance, like any other celebrity worth honoring, would support that mission directive, right?

I like the Mug Merchant too. Hope he gets a true friend someday, though we as fans may never know.

Congratulations on your victories over big machines in this video. And good job saving Olin’s family (hope my family honors me as much as his honors him.)

Keep up the great LP work.