Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://undark.org/2021/12/22/ecocide-iraq/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTOBvGzurxA

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

“there is nothing left for us.”

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
we done did it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

if you want to lol some more look at the last few pages of the capitalism thread to see what americans think of their war in afghanistan

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I was for it because I was a dumb, angry 23-year old kid who bought the bullshit.

A lot of people had to die before I realized what a total mark I was.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

if you want to lol some more look at the last few pages of the capitalism thread to see what americans think of their war in afghanistan

woke up this morning thinking about how many countries in the world have a justifiable hatred of the United States of America, and the indoctrination process to get every American to shrug that off as "jealous haters from shithole countries"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I marched in a giant protest against the war and it accomplished absolutely nothing

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/schwarz/status/1637586687571230724?cxt=HHwWiIC8mdCa8LktAAAA

:thumbsup:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

woke up this morning thinking about how many countries in the world have a justifiable hatred of the United States of America, and the indoctrination process to get every American to shrug that off as "jealous haters from shithole countries"

it rocks, we ruin any chance of a country's ability to get a better future and then americans will compare the taliban taking over a country to a woman being raped

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Twitter users missing the connection between "getting facts wrong" and "lying to justify genocide"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

liberals completely memory holed this after Powell endorsed Obama in 2008

My Lai too I guess

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao that Saddam thought he had American approval to invade Kuwait

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

vyelkin posted:

I marched in a giant protest against the war and it accomplished absolutely nothing

Same, but it was good to meet others to know not everyone was calling for blood

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Saddam's actual trial was wild

they kept accusing him of murdering people that were still alive. every time his defense attorney would point this out, his defense team would be dismissed and he'd have to get a new state appointed lawyer.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Colin Powell and John Negroponte made sure they covered up Guernica in the background so that they wouldn't be announcing the beginning of a war at the UN against the backdrop of one of the most famous pieces of anti-war art ever made

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

they kept accusing him of murdering people that were still alive. every time his defense attorney would point this out, his defense team would be dismissed and he'd have to get a new state appointed lawyer.

more like so drat insane haha

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

vyelkin posted:

Colin Powell and John Negroponte made sure they covered up Guernica in the background so that they wouldn't be announcing the beginning of a war at the UN against the backdrop of one of the most famous pieces of anti-war art ever made

seriously?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the first time i ever saw children being melted alive from white phosphorous on live TV and filling up soccer fields with graves is because of fallujah, thanks america!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

FizFashizzle posted:

judges do something similar in the gitmo "trials", the defending lawyers also have extremely limited access to their clients

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

everyone should listen to the first season of blowback

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This documentary (and book) was definitely an early crack ping moment for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsDROoahdfg

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
obligatory post from The Onion

https://www.theonion.com/this-war-will-destabilize-the-entire-mideast-region-and-1819594296

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

seriously?

yes

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

saw a bunch of americans on reddit yesterday being like "sadly it was an intelligence failure, saddam wanted everyone to think he had WMDs so we had to invade" as if we just made a mistake and weren't actively fabricating intel and relying on known charlatans lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dang dude cant believe youre supporting despot saddam saddam hussein

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

jesus christ

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Dick Cheney leaked false information to the New York Times and then publicly said that the New York Times article was evidence that the false information was true

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

SorePotato posted:

Twitter users missing the connection between "getting facts wrong" and "lying to justify genocide"

Many such cases!

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have a bunch of video from the protests in Minneapolis and at the U of MN. I should see if I can find it. Haven’t looked at it in over a decade.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ive heard stories from Iraq war veterans that in Fallujah 2 the Iraqis defending the place had resigned themselves to death and were using all the amphetamines and epinephrine they'd received from stolen American medical equipment to keep fighting

marines would be dumping their .40 cal into zerging Iraqis who would have pieces of their bodies blown off and still keep coming. and they'd be laying their on the ground with their head half blown off, missing limbs, shot full of holes the size of apples, and the blood would be bubbling out of their chest because they'd still be breathing

I have heard a similar story from multiple veterans

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
uh

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
ew

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

FizFashizzle posted:

ive heard stories from Iraq war veterans that in Fallujah 2 the Iraqis defending the place had resigned themselves to death and were using all the amphetamines and epinephrine they'd received from stolen American medical equipment to keep fighting

marines would be dumping their .40 cal into zerging Iraqis who would have pieces of their bodies blown off and still keep coming. and they'd be laying their on the ground with their head half blown off, missing limbs, shot full of holes the size of apples, and the blood would be bubbling out of their chest because they'd still be breathing

I worked with a guy who told us that his squad butchered a bunch of civilians because they thought some lady in a burqa was scary. I can't even begin to describe how much I hate American troops.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
coalition of the willing

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
But but but free college! Voluntary participation in mass murder of foreigners half the world over is A-OK if it pays for my tuition

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Barack Obama made his name on saying he would have opposed the War in Iraq if he had been a Senator at the time

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I was for it because I was a dumb, angry 23-year old kid who bought the bullshit.

A lot of people had to die before I realized what a total mark I was.

I've held a lot of dumb beliefs, and opinions over the years but I'm glad that I never wavered in thinking that the invasion was wrong and incredibly stupid. My naive 18 year old self literally thought the build up was just more US saber rattling. The jingoistic blood lust unleashed by 9/11 and the 03 invasion were wee little beard dandruff's first crack pings towards realizing that the US is a irredeemable shithole largely populated by cruel idiots incapable of learning from our past crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

I hear this daily