Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

what happened to your star?

denied the holodomor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

crepeface posted:

what happened to your star?

it only shows up in the thread for thread iks

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oic

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

denied the holodomor
worse, fart denied the xinjiang mega genocide which is also DEFINITELY happening

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/TheCradleMedia/status/1637859858501255168?s=20

quote:

The Iraq war also marked the onset of diplomatic coordination between Moscow and Beijing at the UN Security Council (UNSC). The two countries began in 2003 to apply similar voting patterns in the Council, first on Iraq, then on Libya in 2011, and over Syria in several key votes. That early Russia-China UN coordination has, 20 years later, transformed into a determined joint policy toward “guarding a new world order based on international law.”

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lumpentroll posted:

it only shows up in the thread for thread iks

yep

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

She's not necessarily wrong on this issue, but I really wouldn't use her as a source.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Al! posted:

do you think w ever called jeb for advice

he definitely called him to shoot the poo poo and pointedly never asked for advice and if jeb tried to offer it w would not engage and immediately change the subject

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

Read the article on the op

glad to see their economy is thriving. dioxins for everyone!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I still don't quite get how anyone was fooled.

I got how Americans were violent savages who didn't care, but I never understood how anyone was successfully deceived

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ikanreed posted:

I got how Americans were violent savages who didn't care, but I never understood how anyone was successfully deceived

It is very hard to disabuse people of incorrect beliefs when reality directly undermines their worldview.

Those people only started to care when it became clear that we were not "winning" by their definition, because the US losing a war undermines their worldview just as much as US leaders having lied to the public to get into the war in the first place.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

As someone who was a dumb kid then it was simple: America is good and Our Enemies are bad, so obviously they want to indiscriminately kill good people (us)

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

StashAugustine posted:

As someone who was a dumb kid then it was simple: America is good and Our Enemies are bad, so obviously they want to indiscriminately kill good people (us)

I mean didn't you watch poo poo like M.A.S.H. and Rambo 1?

gently caress even the Xman and Batman cartoons are going to introduce you to sympathetic bad guys

p.s. tho I did know a lot of kids whose media consisted solely of Veggitails and Bibleman I'm sure they were calling for blood on 9/11

War and Pieces has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Mar 21, 2023

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

War and Pieces posted:

gently caress even the Xman and Batman cartoons are going to introduce you to sympathetic bad guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OflQym365po

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Consent manufacturing empirically works. The Iraq war case is an esp clear example in part because the war's justifications were so fake. It does raise the question how much of what we believe is because it will make some powerful people money.

It is too bad American society can't be more honest about itself and what it does. For example if Bush had just told the public in 2003 that the govt was going to distribute a trillion dollars (more) to well-connected contractors and in return the US WOULDN'T invade Iraq the American people could have jumped on that bargain. It would have entirely avoided the invasion and occupation pretext.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

the american people in 2003 as a whole wanted nonspecific muslims to die. they didnt need to be fooled

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

That's like asking why germany was fooled by hitler. In both cases it's because the populace was a bunch of god damned nazis

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ringo Roadagain posted:

no, but I found the guy, Rrail, legit one of the biggest and most sincere psychos Ive seen on this forum. soon coming off a 100,000 hour probe

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=45043

He won't be back. IIRC he killed himself.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

specifically talking about Mr. Freeze.

Iraqi sovereignty was like Saddam's frozen wife. And the non existent WMDs were his freeze ray

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ikanreed posted:

I was 12 when the Gulf War kicked off. From then on it was a drum beat in popular and political culture that Saddam was a bad guy who led a brutal government which murdered and oppressed his people. Literally had movies where he was the Big Bad. It was conventional wisdom across the political spectrum that he was cheating on the weapon inspections and had stashes of gas hidden somewhere. Then 9/11 happened and everyone lost their loving mind. Invading Iraq got this sense of inevitability about it, Like even if Saddam wasn't responsible (and a lot of people were fooled into thinking that he did) he was still a bad guy and after 9/11 we couldn't just let bad guys hang around out there because then 9/11 part deux might happen.

In my case I was frightened, angry, and the media that I was consuming (NYT, WaPost, CNN) were full-on pounding the war drums. Falling for it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life, not that my opposition would've changed anything.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

big dong wanter posted:

i got a series of detentions for bullying the american students because of the iraq war. i stand by my actions
/

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

War and Pieces posted:

specifically talking about Mr. Freeze.

Iraqi sovereignty was like Saddam's frozen wife. And the non existent WMDs were his freeze ray

Yeah. I just wanted to post Norm.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Glenn Greenwald way down in the replies defending himself lol

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

crepeface posted:

idk but here's a guy that's still around:

edit: bonus!

same guy was in the original ukraine war thread defending bill gates and bloomberg saying they were from humble origins, not that thats worse than any of those posts, just you know, he's poo poo in every conceivable way

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
its kind of extremely funny that the US preemptively declared war on the netherlands just in case they'd get in their head they could accuse americans of war crimes in iraq and everyone in europe just grumbled about it for a little bit and then never mentioned it again

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

fanfic insert posted:

its kind of extremely funny that the US preemptively declared war on the netherlands just in case they'd get in their head they could accuse americans of war crimes in iraq and everyone in europe just grumbled about it for a little bit and then never mentioned it again

No one cares if we body the Dutch.

JustFollowingOrder
Mar 3, 2023

by vyelkin
placeholder for a former president's arrest

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anyone have a good book recommendation on US atrocities in Iraq? Particularly Fallujah. I don't remember watching coverage of it as it was happening, to the extent there was, so it's a blind spot for me. It also hasn't garnered the attention that the Vietnam stuff did, which I leave as an exercise to the poster as to why.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

JustFollowingOrder posted:

expected somebody else

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nothus posted:

Glenn Greenwald way down in the replies defending himself lol

no way!!!!!!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

go woke get permad

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

everyone here is gonna end up having their posts in court filings

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

wait wtf we invaded iraq? they had nothing to do with September 11th 2001.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Woke Mind Virus posted:

wait wtf we invaded iraq? they had nothing to do with September 11th 2001.

We've blamed 9/11 on basically every country in the middle east except Saudi Arabia

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

SplitSoul posted:

She's not necessarily wrong on this issue, but I really wouldn't use her as a source.

What's wrong with her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sometimes I feel like I must have lost my mind and am hallucinating the world in between bouts of drooling and gnawing on graham crackers.