Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

StashAugustine posted:

We've blamed 9/11 on basically every country in the middle east except Saudi Arabia

didn’t we give Jordan a pass because we knew someone had to take in all the refugees from Iraq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

JustFollowingOrder posted:

placeholder for a former president's arrest

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

is this the guy who is threatening to sue the forums for 1st amdendment violations?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

is this the guy who is threatening to sue the forums for 1st amdendment violations?

lol yeah

i thought it was unoriginal name so i wasnt gunna snitch

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i wouldnt even snitch on insane legal guy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

lol yeah

i thought it was unoriginal name so i wasnt gunna snitch

they usually have better usernames

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

crepeface posted:

idk but here's a guy that's still around:

edit: bonus!

anyone know why a guy who seems to pride himself on being a heinrich himmler jr. when it comes to architecting the speed of the iraqi genocide is allowed to post on this forum?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the baghdad bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

yellowcar posted:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the baghdad bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

This was Grover, btw. He of the famous Groverhaus.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

gosh way to spoil the fun

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Zeroisanumber posted:

This was Grover, btw. He of the famous Groverhaus.

are you saying that wasn't a joke post? I always thought it was lol

are you gonna tell me that barack obama growing as tall as an oak tree post is real too??

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Vomik posted:

are you gonna tell me that barack obama growing as tall as an oak tree post is real too??

buddy

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vomik posted:

I wish I could explain the perfectly smooth evolution of VA military contractor brain that was Grover. He was like if you created a guy who was so blinkered in his worldview and detatched from the death and bloodshed that his politics necessitated that you'd swear he had some sort of schizoid disorder, but he was actually quite normal when he talked about other stuff.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Zeroisanumber posted:

but he was actually quite normal when he talked about other stuff.

you know about the house he built right

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

you know about the house he built right

We all know about the house.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

If I was permabanned I simply wouldn't get caught on a rereg

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i remember reading a lot of grover posting in GiP and i recall him always being a wierdo

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i remember reading a lot of grover posting in GiP and i recall him always being a wierdo

are you a troop

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

ScrubLeague posted:

i got a 3 day ban from reddit for posting "happy 20th anniversary of the invasion of iraq, death to america" in the shitpost thread for last night's baseball game lol

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i was probably the most troopest of the goon troops lol

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

don’t post trump thread anywhere else

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i was probably the most troopest of the goon troops lol

lol dumbass

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
correct

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

grover was a civilian contractor that was never in the military and he insisted that he be respected like a troop lmao

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

iirc he also tried to pull rank on someone in GiP lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i think you all mean major grover

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i think you all mean major grover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-5eFkq6XEs

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

I was 12 when the Gulf War kicked off. From then on it was a drum beat in popular and political culture that Saddam was a bad guy who led a brutal government which murdered and oppressed his people. Literally had movies where he was the Big Bad. It was conventional wisdom across the political spectrum that he was cheating on the weapon inspections and had stashes of gas hidden somewhere. Then 9/11 happened and everyone lost their loving mind. Invading Iraq got this sense of inevitability about it, Like even if Saddam wasn't responsible (and a lot of people were fooled into thinking that he did) he was still a bad guy and after 9/11 we couldn't just let bad guys hang around out there because then 9/11 part deux might happen.

In my case I was frightened, angry, and the media that I was consuming (NYT, WaPost, CNN) were full-on pounding the war drums. Falling for it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life, not that my opposition would've changed anything.

I remember 9/11 and the years after it very well. I also remember thinking and saying at the time that the invasions would just make things worse and that Saddam didn't have WMD.

Everyone around me said I was an idiot child who needed to Grow Up. Well I may have been an idiot child, but I was still dead on in my predictions of what was going to happen and it was the great mass of reasoned adults, respected journalists, and foreign policy thinkers who were categorically wrong.

Didn't do me a drat bit of good. And everyone who screamed the loudest for war got praise from the public, esteem from their peers, and rewarded by society. The people who totally blew the call on Iraq and Afghanistan are still out there, entirely untainted, and still making a great living and enjoying life.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Weka posted:

What's wrong with her?

Former Austrian Foreign Minister who was recently on the Board of Directors for Rosneft and blogged for RT. She's also said some nasty poo poo about refugees and was really popular with the FPÖ nazis for that reason. Putin attended her wedding.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SplitSoul posted:

Former Austrian Foreign Minister who was recently on the Board of Directors for Rosneft and blogged for RT. She's also said some nasty poo poo about refugees and was really popular with the FPÖ nazis for that reason. Putin attended her wedding.

I wouldn't really be jazzed to have Putin at my wedding but if Xi showed up I would know that I was doing a good job at life.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zeroisanumber posted:

I wouldn't really be jazzed to have Putin at my wedding but if Xi showed up I would know that I was doing a good job at life.

Not saying she's wrong, just that she's hardly impartial, and a real piece of poo poo besides.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

fanfic insert posted:

its kind of extremely funny that the US preemptively declared war on the netherlands just in case they'd get in their head they could accuse americans of war crimes in iraq and everyone in europe just grumbled about it for a little bit and then never mentioned it again

https://www.hrw.org/news/2002/08/03/us-hague-invasion-act-becomes-law

never heard about this lmbo

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Zeroisanumber posted:

I would hope putin shows up to my wedding, after all I'm getting married to him

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

lol that they still had the dignity for collars and buttons rather than Velcro pajamas

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

big dong wanter posted:

I would hope putin shows up to my wedding, after all I'm getting married to him

goongrats

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

SplitSoul posted:

short of the russia stuff, it just sounds like any other euro elite. what level of nasty poo poo did she say? like was it PM of italy bad or ukranians talking about roma bad?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

:lmao:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

crepeface posted:

short of the russia stuff, it just sounds like any other euro elite. what level of nasty poo poo did she say? like was it PM of italy bad or ukranians talking about roma bad?

quote:

On the issue of refugees, migration, and integration she was also accused of serving stereotypes. At the height of the refugee crisis in 2015, Kneissl pointed out that most of them are economic migrants and that asylum seekers are "80 percent" young men between the ages of 20 and 30. In September 2015, she said on public television that one of the reasons for the revolts in the Arab world was "these many young men", "testosterone-controlled", "who no longer managed to get a wife today" because they have neither work nor their own home, and thus could not achieve "status as a man in a traditional society".

FPÖ considered nominating her for president. The party was literally founded by a high-ranking member of the SS.

This is how they present themselves today:

https://www.facebook.com/arno.cincelli/posts/pfbid0y3sMPD4LyhfMnHSSnv4XjFbRkutCkz2xnCWrqQnXyh5VW8qi4k2BGXzaNHD97pbHl

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2L4jcVqo8s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i supported the iraq war at the time and i still do