Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Three Olives posted:

If you plug both sides into the same outlet and shut off the power to your house the power just loops around your house instead of going back into the grid giving you unlimited free electricity.

Obviously the electricity cartels don't want you to know this so they just banned them.

wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Didn't the person who invented these win a Nobel Prize?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
they're on to you op. they know you're an undercover operative and you're looking to acquire that as an incognito weapon to choke someone out.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

you put your xmas lights backwards

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

lol

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
They say there was a secret cord that David used to meet the lord...

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
You just need to hook up both ends while the power is off and before turning it. Not dangerous at all

Also if you don't want to mess with power switches you can just do it really fast and it's okay it will work

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Look electric cords are like wings on a plane.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'll stick with a nice old fashioned etherkiller.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

pencilhands posted:

I hosed up setting up some christmas lights on my roof and needed one of these to connect the two strings together. When I went to the hardware store and asked for one the guy at the counter looked at me like I was an idiot and told me to get the gently caress out. What gives?

In electrical work we call these death cords. Surprisingly easy to make with basic poo poo from Lowes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sporkstand posted:

u could put it in your but

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sporkstand posted:

u could put it in your but

weirdest shocker

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

In electrical work we call these death cords. Surprisingly easy to make with basic poo poo from Lowes

Just plug it in upside down then it’s a pass thru cable dummy

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Suicide cords are a great idea. Plug it into your generator when the power is down and wait for the fun to begin.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nuts and Gum posted:

Just plug it in upside down then it’s a pass thru cable dummy

yeah, just pull of the ground one and it will work perfectly

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Tarkus posted:

Suicide cords are a great idea. Plug it into your generator when the power is down and wait for the fun to begin.

:hmmyes:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
y'know, I don't actually know why this is a bad idea. beyond the fact that it will burn your house down, I mean. I accept that it will burn your house down, but I don't really know enough about electricity to understand why
is there a bill nye episode I could watch? maybe khan academy

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
we learned the basics of electrical engineering in jr. high but I didn't retain any of it.
I know there's a potato involved at some point. and zinc. and, you have to complete the circuit to provide power? and... grounding. something to do with grounding. grounding and live. that's pretty much it. I know from word problems when I learned calculus that there's something called resistance that's measured in ohms, but I don't really know what that means, I just did the math part

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

everyone is allowed to have those op idk what you did to get banned from purchasing them but it was probably horrific and you should reflect on that

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

If i remove the grounding prong part does that make it more lethal

Cubone
May 26, 2011

hold on, I found a schoolhouse rock episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5urCxHc1ps

e: that didn't help at all.

Cubone fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 22, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Savage For The Winjun posted:

If i remove the grounding prong part does that make it more lethal

not really, but it could make you the ground instead, prolly just get a shock if something went wrong, but it could also kill you

Cubone
May 26, 2011

ok bill nye is doing a way better job than schoolhouse rock did. like it's not even close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYacUaukaxg

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Go put a paperclip into a socket that's a fun little lesson on electricity

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Cubone posted:

ok bill nye is doing a way better job than schoolhouse rock did. like it's not even close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYacUaukaxg

did you see the one where he said chromosomes determine your gender

im never listening to that disgusting bigot again

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

pencilhands posted:

it was years ago, and he most likely meant biological sex. I think HBomerguy has a video about the differences

E: Of what bill nye meant. Not biological sex

Mumpy Puffinz fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 22, 2023

Cubone
May 26, 2011

pencilhands posted:

hm. my memory is the opposite of this. he got a new show on netflix or something and explained why gender is a spectrum and people got mad at him. I didn't watch it or pay attention
this electricity episode is pretty good though

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I run and own a big warehouse electric cord sales shop and this is the only kind of cable we sell. Non of those pussy any other types of cables.

Anyone "safety conscious" drat idiots that don't want to risk a bit of death everytime they plug something in don't deserve electricity!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

I run and own a big warehouse electric cord sales shop and this is the only kind of cable we sell. Non of those pussy any other types of cables.

Anyone "safety conscious" drat idiots that don't want to risk a bit of death everytime they plug something in don't deserve electricity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtJJC0nWs9s

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That's ok, I'll just use this adapter to plug in my 50 amp lighting system

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sentient Data posted:

That's ok, I'll just use this adapter to plug in my 50 amp lighting system

that will either blow the breaker or set your house on fire. Good luck!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Becauase its almost april

You dummy

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

get a soldering iron and make it yourself, it’s easy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Three Olives posted:

If you plug both sides into the same outlet and shut off the power to your house the power just loops around your house instead of going back into the grid giving you unlimited free electricity.

Obviously the electricity cartels don't want you to know this so they just banned them.

It's what iron man did to his heart

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

pencilhands posted:

looked at me like I was an idiot and told me to get the gently caress out.

Whoa.

It's like you were posting, but in real life!!!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojti7LOjEKU

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
simply look at the cord of lights for one second before putting it up and put it up the right way instead of the idiot way. lol

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

pencilhands posted:

I hosed up setting up some christmas lights on my roof and needed one of these to connect the two strings together. When I went to the hardware store and asked for one the guy at the counter looked at me like I was an idiot and told me to get the gently caress out. What gives?

Because the color is kinda ugly, op.

Maybe if you had asked for a mellow mauve or cool beige instead you could already electrocute yourself and others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

pencilhands posted:

It's actually because you told them you were trying to setup Christmas lights in March. They didn't what type of power cable you were looking for. Hope that helps.