Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jill had the same problems a lot of supporting characters did in this story, where it seems like the writers remember to flip a switch every so often to turn her on and then throw her back into the bin until she needs to come out again. She rarely gets any dialogue outside of her own chapter that isn't purely expository.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 30 days!)

that what happens when you don't have a real party system and a need to give real party members their own story arcs.

Shiva is either just the weakest one, or Jill just sucks at using it as a dominant it feels like.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Oxxidation posted:

the game's treatment of jill became inexcusable for me in the next arc, where she primes again only to get taken down in a single swing by Worst Character barnabas. it really threw into relief how ineffectual she is throughout the game - even in her own arc, her biggest contribution was creating an ice wall for a boss fight arena

That whole Barnabas scene really took me out. For me, it didn't make Barnabas look incredibly skilled. It made Clive look like he didn't know how to fight. Jill's contribution in her arc was just as pathetic. After she primes, she makes an ice wall and then when the boss is defeated, she says that she must end it, but the game says nope and makes Clive destroy the mothercrystal

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

I think we could spent another 10 pages or so on whether Clive died at the end or not

I think it's possible he lived - I wouldn't be surprised by a DLC Scene of Mid and her super-fast ship showing up and getting him off that beach. Would explain the book. :shrug:

theCalamity posted:

I just beat the game tonight. Didn't like it. The story was bad and the storytelling made it worse. An example of that is when Dion starts destroying Twinside and killing a bunch of people for no reason. It is only after the Bahamut fight do we find out that he was manipulated by Ultima. Up until then, it's an uncharacteristic moment for him that doesn't make me intrigued as to what changed in him, but made me think that I missed something Speaking of Bahamut Jill just complete sat it out with no explanation as to why. They really did Jill dirty in this game.

This really strikes me as a case of what I've seen called 'Narrative Collapse', where you didn't like a story, so all the things that you'd forgive in a story that you liked really stuck out and bother you instead. Seeing a character do something inexplicable and only explaining it later is a pretty standard storytelling device. Sorry you didn't like the game.

I was thinking about 16 while riding the bus yesterday, and I finally realized why it reminded me so much of 9: it's doing a very similar thing of being very self-aware in its incorporation of plot and world elements of previous Final Fantasy games.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

clive's moveset rules, the issue is the game gives you very little reason or time to explore it on a normal first playthrough

From what I've seen of other people playing, the issue seems to be that most of Clive's toolkit is objectively inferior and there's an "optimal rotation" of sorts where you use the Shiva dash thing constantly while mixing in Zantetsukens and canceling out of stuff.

This bothers me, because it feels like that stuff is far more important than the actual "action-y" parts of the gameplay.

This doesn't impact most of a normal playthrough at all since you unlock stuff gradually and playing "optimally" isn't necessary, but I basically hit a point where the way to "git gud" was to perfect execution of this specific sort of rotation that used abilities I don't even enjoy using.

My answer was to "just not use those abilities," but it feels bad that I'm basically hurting my own performance by doing so and I can't "git (as) gud" through the actual action parts of the gameplay.

Edit: Added in spoiler tags for ability names just in case

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 26, 2023

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

I think it's possible he lived - I wouldn't be surprised by a DLC Scene of Mid and her super-fast ship showing up and getting him off that beach. Would explain the book. :shrug:

I was being ironic

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

I was being ironic

Yeah me too

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ytlaya posted:

From what I've seen of other people playing, the issue seems to be that most of Clive's toolkit is objectively inferior and there's an "optimal rotation" of sorts where you use the Shiva dash thing constantly while mixing in Zantetsukens and canceling out of stuff.

This bothers me, because it feels like that stuff is far more important than the actual "action-y" parts of the gameplay.

This doesn't impact most of a normal playthrough at all since you unlock stuff gradually and playing "optimally" isn't necessary, but I basically hit a point where the way to "git gud" was to perfect execution of this specific sort of rotation that used abilities I don't even enjoy using.

My answer was to "just not use those abilities," but it feels bad that I'm basically hurting my own performance by doing so and I can't "git (as) gud" through the actual action parts of the gameplay.

Edit: Added in spoiler tags for ability names just in case

Game is easy enough that you can use whatever you want.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

Game is easy enough that you can use whatever you want.

Yeah, but my point is mainly that it doesn't really succeed at being "an action game with depth" like, I dunno, Devil May Cry or something. Like I mentioned, these things aren't problems when you're going through the game (since you don't even have everything unlocked for most of it), but in terms of keeping people playing and talking about it long after release they kinda are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, but my point is mainly that it doesn't really succeed at being "an action game with depth" like, I dunno, Devil May Cry or something. Like I mentioned, these things aren't problems when you're going through the game (since you don't even have everything unlocked for most of it), but in terms of keeping people playing and talking about it long after release they kinda are.

Almost every character action game also has optimal rotations which will deal more damage than anything else, occasionally with degenerate tactics. (i.e: The weapon-swap in Bayonetta meaning that bazooka legs were going to do cartoonishly more damage than anything else.) If all you want to do is do the most damage in the shortest time possible there is always going to be a best.

The key is that using inferior weapons you enjoy using more is just fine. The reason to have a wide variety of weapons in any game is to give players choices to do what they enjoy most, because inevitably people are going to spade out what the optimal path is.

GateOfD posted:

that what happens when you don't have a real party system and a need to give real party members their own story arcs.

Shiva is either just the weakest one, or Jill just sucks at using it as a dominant it feels like.

It's neither, again, something the story explicitly explains. Jill is almost used up. She can't go all-out balls-to-the-wall because she will die because the people controlling her didn't care if she died. In comparison the other Dominants are used more sparingly (and the game even calls out that Hugo almost never primes anymore for explicitly that reason.) She absolutely should have had at least one big moment to shine on her own but the game spends a lot of time talking about how priming is basically terrible for you in the best of situations and the only reason Clive is able to do what he does is because he's got some abnormality that lets him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 26, 2023

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Also, you can probably count the amount of times Clive primes on your fingers without running out, because he only does it for eikon fights.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

the_steve posted:

WRT Jill: It's because Priming takes a toll on the Dominant. It's hard to tell since her outfits cover pretty much everything from the neck down, but it's pretty strongly implied that she's suffering from a fair degree of the Crystal's Curse. Not as bad as Cid's or Joshua's cases, but still pretty rough for her. Plus, someone needed to keep an eye on Mother of the Year to make sure she didn't try to pull anything.

Jill spoiler(why are we talking in here and not the spoiler thread?) Well there's one part where her outfit is NOT covering her at all and they did not have her visibly suffering from the Curse. Makes you wonder if the note never got to the animation department or if the cutscene was finished before they decided how much priming should have impacted her. Or maybe they just decided they wanted her to look good naked, and gently caress the continuity.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The speedrun strat in DMC5 is spamming the hat weapon because its so OP.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

Or maybe they just decided they wanted her to look good naked, and gently caress the continuity.

Phrasing

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 26, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Speaking of action combat, I'm still on my FF mode replay, and I reached Necrophobe again and I think it might be my favorite "normal" fight in the game? He's super aggressive but every attack is extremely fair to dodge, all the stuff with his options he does looks amazing, and ofc it's a great reference to FFV (we stan).

I recorded my fight, which also shows my current fav loadout, just my favorite low skill high impact stuff (except for Titan counter ofc). I tried Lightning Rod strats when starting FF mode but found it way too finicky - especially putting one down to stagger and then after the stagger cutscene having the enemy end up nowhere near the rod drove me up the wall - and I finished the game with heavy Odin strats so I wanted sth else.

Unfortunately, I thought it was much quicker than it was, so the first few minutes are cut off (I told the PS5 to save the last 5 minutes of gameplay, turns out the fight was much longer lol time flies when you're having fun). Just some cool action, obviously it's spoilers if you're not there yet. I hope the name of the boss doesn't count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39d9pyTkxH8

Also, some other funny stuff I wanted to share with the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhhc9iaP3K8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-4vbF2nQAU

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Simply Simon posted:

I tried Lightning Rod strats when starting FF mode but found it way too finicky - especially putting one down to stagger and then after the stagger cutscene having the enemy end up nowhere near the rod drove me up the wall

As long as the lightning rod is still active, you can hit the button again and place it wherever you are. I used that alongside the orbiting fireball skill to get almost anything half staggered, especially if it's a large boss that just settled/knocked back for a few moments

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

As long as the lightning rod is still active, you can hit the button again and place it wherever you are. I used that alongside the orbiting fireball skill to get almost anything half staggered, especially if it's a large boss that just settled/knocked back for a few moments
Oh poo poo, that's amazing to know! That changes things a lot - it's much clunkier then. I might go back to it, because it was fun, just really frustrating when I thought it was forever placed wrong somewhere. Otoh, it's also really annoying how Clive keep prioritizing it...but yeah, I'll probably experiment more. Thanks!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New DLC featuring Omega out tonight, second DLC featuring Leviathan in Spring 2024.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RecsFD6SWfc

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

:circlefap:

Edit: I'm so glad Kissinger didn't get to see this trailer

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ibblebibble posted:

New DLC featuring Omega out tonight, second DLC featuring Leviathan in Spring 2024.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RecsFD6SWfc

Wait, like, the Omega dlc is available now?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yes they suprise dropped it without any warning

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah it's 10 bux. I'm waiting warmly for some reviews

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Someone will probably beat me to it but I'll be playing it today

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't think the DLC is going to affect my personal GOTY deliberations so I will probably wait until January before getting around to it

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I would like to hang out with my friend Clive some more

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess I just feel a little suspicious. Either they were pretty much lying when they said they had no plans for DLC at release, or they weren't and this seems incredibly rushed (the announcement the DLCs were entering production was in september).

Doesn't really matter if the final product is good I suppose, good luck gamers

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Second DLC: it looks like the Leviathan moveset gives Clive an arm cannon move based on the 2 seconds of it in the trailer which rules

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

I guess I just feel a little suspicious. Either they were pretty much lying when they said they had no plans for DLC at release, or they weren't and this seems incredibly rushed (the announcement the DLCs were entering production was in september).

Doesn't really matter if the final product is good I suppose, good luck gamers

the "no dlc" claim was always a crock (that one locked door in the blightlands had might as well had a giant CONTENT HERE marquee sign blinking overhead) but i'm also waiting for impressions, especially after how underwhelming the main game was

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm mostly wondering how playing the DLC is going to work, are you going to need a save at the appropriate time that it slots into the story?

Well if you do need to replay the game, I guess it's a good thing I haven't started my Final Fantasy mode playthrough yet.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

you need a save before the final battle with Ultima. Its in the PSN store description.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I gonna LMAO if they deliberately avoid using that door.

I will say I actually believe them in the sense that they probably had a bunch of DLC ideas and half-formed stuff that didn't make it into the main game, but DLC wasn't formally greenlit until they were sure the game was going to succeed.

I base this on their behavior with FF7R and how hosed the DLC situation was with FF15.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

WaltherFeng posted:

Someone will probably beat me to it but I'll be playing it today

I'm out of town until Tuesday, but it will definitely be one of the first things I download and play once I'm back home and settled in

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Based on the pricing (10 eur for the first dlc, 24,9 for the expansion pack and they are promoting that expansion pack includes both DLCs for a discounted price), the first dlc will probably be a short dungeon and boss fight type of deal and the main meat and bones will be in the second dlc.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

you need a save before the final battle with Ultima. Its in the PSN store description.

I can probably scrounge up an older save at that point. Hopefully.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

As long as you have your Game Cleared save you should be good. The game even warns you not to delete this save or save over it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I finished the DLC. (Did it on my Final Fantasy playthrough.)

It's effectively a bit of buildup and a dungeon that I'd say is roughly 1.5 longer than a usual dungeon as well as a little bit of extra. It's a neat dungeon, one of the better ones in the game, but still basically following the FF14 model of trash -> boss -> trash -> boss. The final boss is a pretty drat cool fight on FF mode. And yes, contains a remix of Omega's theme. There is however no new Eikon fight. It's pretty light on plot, mostly an excuse to learn a small amount more about the Fallen civilization and have your characters hang out a little.

In terms of new stuff, there's a new set of equipment that is basically the new best for everything but weapons which at least on FF was instead one step below Ultima Weapon. Finishing the DLC on FF mode lets you craft an alternative to the Ultima Weapon with the same stats but a new look.

There are a bunch of new "Bit" accessories which seem incredibly powerful. They do things like allow your stagger gauge to go up to 2.0 and have it build faster, have the enemy show a sign when you can parry their attack and increase the length of slowdown, give you boosted limit break stats, and give you a cooldown reduction on every perfect dodge.

If you liked FF16 enough to want another dungeon and a cool boss fight it's probably worth the $10 and it doesn't really feel half-assed or anything, but it isn't going to change your mind if you just didn't like the game. The next one is at least adding another Eikon (and an Eikon fight it looks like) so I imagine that will be more substantial.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yeah good accessories are going to be really helpful for Arcade Mode if you are into that thing. Sounds good.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Important question, is the trailer theme tune in this DLC or the spring one?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I finished the DLC. (Did it on my Final Fantasy playthrough.)
:words:

Good stuff.

I'll probably wait for the second dlc to come out and then play both at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Second DLC: it looks like the Leviathan moveset gives Clive an arm cannon move based on the 2 seconds of it in the trailer which rules

Looks like using the arm cannon move uses up the big gauge in the middle of the screen and doesn't have a cooldown, so blast away with Leviathan I guess. MCH Clive incoming.