Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

is zansetsukening everything still the strat after the patch

Looks like Bahamut's now sweet as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

McTimmy posted:

Looks like Bahamut's now sweet as all hell.

Always has been

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

Always has been

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

is zansetsukening everything still the strat after the patch

Theres no nerfs so Zantetsuken is still strong but theres more incentive to use buffed skills.

Zantetsuken is also not very good for points in Arcade Mode because it kills things too fast.

Think of it in DMC5 terms. You could speedrun everything with the OP hat weapon or you could just have fun instead

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 18, 2024

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It also gets super boring

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Only got a little bit into the new DLC. Its really pretty!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The second new Eikon is Ultima. No plot relevance though. Same ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The DLC is... okay? It's neat to have another EIkon battle but that is the bulk of what it really has going for it and honestly Omega is probably still the high point of both DLCs. The plot is kind of forgettable aside from Clive punching a baby and it has this weird air to it that they intended to do more and didn't have the budget. \

The new Eikons are neat but absolutely ridiculously overpowered. Both have the same issue of their O button being 'transform Clive into a better form' which is neat but also makes it harder to justify the other EIkons. The addition of more cutscene attacks (and REALLY good ones) also kind of exacerbates the issue the game already had with them.

It's fine. It's fun enough. It was neat to revisit FF16 again. But it's the definition of forgettable DLC.

Ultima the Eikon Skillset basically just gives you access to a bunch of his moves. His O move makes you grow wings and hover around kind of like Bahamut and changes all of Clive's attacks. It's really bluntly a "here is the OP thing since you finished everything else in the game"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 18, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

love my boy clive, love my girl jill.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Tbh I dont mind the new abilities being ridiculously powerful because I am planning to take these toUltimaniac mode which kinda kicked my rear end as the stages got longer and more difficult

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So how long is the DLC if I'm a completionist? Not including the Kairos stuff.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

How fast could one blitz through the game on Final Fantasy Mode to access the DLC? I’d gotten just past Garuda and I’m not sure if I want to just go back to my NG file or push forward to do the DLC on NG+

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

How fast could one blitz through the game on Final Fantasy Mode to access the DLC? I’d gotten just past Garuda and I’m not sure if I want to just go back to my NG file or push forward to do the DLC on NG+

To be honest I'd go back and do your NG file because that way you can use the new Eikons in FF mode from the start instead of rushing through to get to use them for like ten minutes at the end.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Im playing the dlc on normal post game save. My FF mode save was still nowhere near the end because I've been messing around in arcade mode.

This game rules but they made the difficulties really annoying to unlock

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
When can you access the DLCs? I think the first was postgame, is Rising tide too?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

RatHat posted:

When can you access the DLCs? I think the first was postgame, is Rising tide too?

Right before the final boss

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

You have to have Origin unlocked.

Edit: Also be warned that Leviathan in the DLC is probably one of the harder Eikon fights, at least on FF mode. It still isn't hard but it has a shockingly tight DPS check at one point which seems to be stonewalling people. If you're used to just button mashing as Ifrit you're not going to get through, gotta at least do the s-s-s-t combo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You also need to have done the sidequests that put Joshua and Jill in your party

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the buffs to Ramuh feel really good, Blind justice does a ton of will damage now and is really good for building up stagger multiplier since you can set it up in advance and then detonate the orbs right after the boss is staggered.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ah lawl how do you counter waterspout

Ultima's abilities look insane but Im lacking AP to master them drat. Time for another playthrough

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 19, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dont understand the Leviathan Eikon boss fight? He does his tsunami ability and it just goes straight to Game Over. What am I missing?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

You have to have Origin unlocked.

Edit: Also be warned that Leviathan in the DLC is probably one of the harder Eikon fights, at least on FF mode. It still isn't hard but it has a shockingly tight DPS check at one point which seems to be stonewalling people. If you're used to just button mashing as Ifrit you're not going to get through, gotta at least do the s-s-s-t combo

I hope Square fine tunes this fight with a patch. Its really difficult.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I dont understand the Leviathan Eikon boss fight? He does his tsunami ability and it just goes straight to Game Over. What am I missing?

You are failing the dps check. You need to be using both of your cooldowns to do extra damage and also use ifrits magical bursts at the end of melee combo.

I think the difficulty is fine I think people are just forgetting what abilities Ifrit has which is not suprising. I did too

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 19, 2024

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've not fought Levi yet. YoshiP say's a test of your Ifrit skills on purpose, which is cool, but also the last time anyone fought as Ifrit was probably 9 months ago so maybe there should have been a bit of a "btw this is how you play as Ifrit" section, or even in the training mode.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've not fought Levi yet. YoshiP say's a test of your Ifrit skills on purpose, which is cool, but also the last time anyone fought as Ifrit was probably 9 months ago so maybe there should have been a bit of a "btw this is how you play as Ifrit" section, or even in the training mode.

Yeah you literally need to use every button on your controller or you die. That's my non spoilery hint.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bold of them to make you go back to the PS menu and also share a screenshot on social media, seems a bit out of character for the game but i vibe

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The part where I had to use a paperclip on the tiny button on the back to reset the controller really threw me off. Weird game design.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I got hit by three of those attacks that you seemingly can't avoid (without perfect dodging?) in the back half of the fight until I remembered oh yeah the shield thing actually blocks damage

but he never used one of those attacks again before I beat him.

Pretty cool DLC. Am I misremembering or was there an interview somewhere that said the devs were originally planning on having the ending change after the DLCs were finished, but walked back on it during the development of this one? Feels like that's where the Ultima attunement would've originally come from instead of just touching the stone after finishing this one.

e: fwiw I'm fine with the "real" ending not being locked behind an additional twenty five american dollar paywall. Just sorta curious about how dev went here.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 19, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

I got hit by three of those attacks that you seemingly can't avoid (without perfect dodging?) in the back half of the fight until I remembered oh yeah the shield thing actually blocks damage

but he never used one of those attacks again before I beat him.

Pretty cool DLC. Am I misremembering or was there an interview somewhere that said the devs were originally planning on having the ending change after the DLCs were finished, but walked back on it during the development of this one? Feels like that's where the Ultima attunement would've originally come from instead of just touching the stone after finishing this one.

e: fwiw I'm fine with the "real" ending not being locked behind an additional twenty five american dollar paywall. Just sorta curious about how dev went here.

They hinted at it and then walked it back, and yeah the Ultima thing is very obviously leftover from when they were intending to have some kind of different ending. You don't make a new fighting style based around the main boss and then have it just randomly appear in a cutscene where Ultima goes "uh well you get some of my power I guess??'

I get the feeling they probably intended something bigger and didn't have the budget or didn't want to lock a 'good ending' past pay DLC.

I don't mind them sticking to their "it's intentionally ambiguous" guns but it does feel immensely lame that Leviathan isn't even represented as something Clive has in the final fight.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Think I found the "UI changes to primal battles" that the patch notes mentioned. The rail-shooter part of the Titan fight now has rings around the flying boulders to make it clearer that you need to shoot them down.

on a related note, god the Titan fight is still so sick.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Im having severe choice paralysis there's even more ability combos now and only 6 slots still

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I finally played (most of) Echoes of the Fallen just now. I am extremely rusty and died like six times to Sigma.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

I finally played (most of) Echoes of the Fallen just now. I am extremely rusty and died like six times to Sigma.

Sigma balls?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZsuuyAo5vY

This feels unintended

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I wish they'd release another balance patch that adjusts requirements for S ranks because even seemingly perfect encounter can be only B or A if you dont meet the score requirements.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I love this game and I’d say an advocate for it, but I have 0 interest in getting S ranks in anything. When the Clive dating simulator comes out I’ll be back at it again.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Cleared Kairos gate on normal. I used ring of slowmo dodging in the final fight because I had a bad feeling and I was right. I probably wouldve died and lost all progress.

All the bosses in this mode are very fun. I think they gave them new moves?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've just cleared it on FF difficulty (though it says it defaults to normal but the screen still says it's FF mode up top? :iiam:) and it's definitely fun.
Leviathan is a hard carry in that thing with it's insane stagger damage, but its dodge is basically a hard counter for both the big bosses on floors 15 and 20.

S ranking all of the individual floors to get the bonus fight would be pretty reasonable if it saved your best score on an individual stage or let you replay until you get S rank. If you have to single run it, gently caress that. The fight's nothing new to the game so it's not a loss to not do it.

Love that the final ultimate weapon you can get is a crystalised piss sword

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat Echoes of the Fallen. I forgot how fun this game can be. I know some people frowned upon the simplicity of the combat but they give you so many tools that you can use to feel like a total badass. I’m feeling inspired to go back and beat it on Final Fantasy mode after I do The Rising Tide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Omega shouldve been the final boss of Kairos Gate. Now that wouldve been quite intimidating.