Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
game of thrones had global pop culture in a deathgrip for years before its producers hosed it up so badly the whole thing vaporized, but you still smell the leftover smoke from time to time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
every item and accessory have lavish descriptions and the description for young clive's sword notes that it's shorter than average to accommodate for its intended wielder's smaller size

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

every item and accessory have lavish descriptions and the description for young clive's sword notes that it's shorter than average to accommodate for its intended wielder's smaller size

having now finished the demo, my impressions alternate between the above image and :stonklol: with increasing frequency

i knew joshua was in for a bad time the minute his face appeared onscreen but did not expect him to be literally ripped to shreds as clive screams himself hoarse trying to make it stop. there's a level of intensity in these performances i can't remember seeing last

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i imagine most people's first reaction to a tonberry or cactuar would be something like incredulous puzzlement

it would also be their last reaction

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
when someone makes a post and you ask yourself the question "trolling or idiot" then it's best to just not engage

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
why did it start to feel lovely to you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

funkymonks posted:

Feels like 15 cut an entire 2nd open world section. It really felt like a FF6 inspired area was meant to happen and got axed due to development hell.

probably more than that, the environments outside the train rides were modeled and explorable

but the boys’ road-trip was part of its dna from the start, discounting the FF Versus version which was dead on arrival anyway. it still has one of the strongest emotional cores of the series under the jank

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
an FF flagship title sounds like it'd be more work and effort than yoko taro's comfortable with. he's always been pretty upfront that he prefers to leave things to his collaborators but a project like that would mean a laser-intense spotlight over his head for years

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ifrit’s been one of the chump starter summons for decades, it’s trippy to see him portrayed as an ominous walking nuke

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in 15 he was a bigger deal but only in backstory, he’s a glorified zombie of Ardyn’s by the time the party encounters him. probably still counts though

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
reviews of big name jrpg’s are always tiresome because half the articles seem to be written by people with no familiarity or interest in the genre and half the remainder are curmudgeons grousing that it’s not enough like games from 1999

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Eurogamer also gave a middling review, with the complaints being a story that drags a bit and sidequests. That said I only read the last paragraph (which I tend to do) in the review so don't quote me on this.

Honestly I tend to look at reviews as a general vibe; like if it has mostly positive reviews then I am comfortable getting the game, if it is middling then there is something I should know, etc. It is okay to not like a popular game and vice versa, and I feel it is a little dangerous to hold up a review as proof of the quality of a game (or lack thereof) because ???

that was one of the curmudgeons. it spent a lot of time wishing it was in the party-based format with a couple paragraphs set aside to call it racist

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
show me Iceland. you can’t

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
noctis lucis caelum’s fun country road-trip was just the prelude to CLIVE ROSFIELD’S TORMENTOUS NIGHTMARE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
a grading system definitely would have been appreciated, combat feedback is great but it’s so easy that it feels flat

FFXV was a mess mechanically but fights in that one felt more like a bonding experience with the Boys, between the chatter and the photos. this is more like cutting grass

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
second eikon fight spoilers

me halfway through benedikta's second phase: man this is stylish and all but i'm still sleepwalking through this combat

after being hit with Deadly Embrace: OW. OW. OW. OW. OW. OW. OW.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Books On Tape posted:

Boss fights are definitely easy but what I can’t determine difficulty of is boss battle rewards. What do you have to do to get the extra loot? There is no grading system so far.

i don't know if it was dummied out after early builds or something but the grading system only applies to optional arcade-mode refights and there aren't any rewards. you get the same prizes regardless of how you perform

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I’m very confused about this early plot stuff. Demo through the sections just after the end of the demo spoilers.

I’m really confused about Clive thinking that someone else killed Joshua. I understand he was probably not in control of his actions and likely was having some sort of out of body experience. But he was clearly conscious and observing what was happening and would like, know if he was not in control of his own actions.

On top of this, the super secret lore zone, which is in a neutral voice and tells you tons of poo poo that clive has no way of knowing acts like it was someone else as well.

So what gives here? Did the game just do a really bad job of showing what was actually happening?

your name is clive rosfield. you have been treated with mild scorn your whole life because you were incapable of channeling an eikon and your main reason for living is the health and happiness of your little brother. do you choose to believe a) that you turned into a heretofore-unheard of eikon and ripped your brother to bloody shreds in a fit of mindless rage, or b) literally anything else

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

As one of the only three people on this planet that enjoyed 13, I am confused that people aren't upset about how you move forward to enter circular arena for most of the zone design so far in this game.

i've noticed the similarity, but what got people irked about 13's railroaded design wasn't just the linearity but how it only allowed you the shallowest interaction with the world itself. even at the beginning 16 has the hideout to anchor the party and the setting doesn't feel nearly as much like a theme park

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

'we've lost one of the greatest RPG series ever' lmfao

jfc is that an actual quote

the series reinvents itself with every loving entry! every sub-entry even! why do people keep pretending to be surprised by it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the combat honestly feels more reminiscent of asura's wrath than devil may cry. feedback and animations are still great and the techniques are varied enough to keep me engaged but the second big eikon fight's QTE's had me checking my watch even with all the spectacle going on

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I would like the poop bearer to perhaps find a new chapter to marvel over

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
post-kingsfall spoilers

me: okay this mystery man twist seems pretty obvious now, guess it'll be another four or five hours before that shoe drops

game: we're revealing it now, idiot. good job working it out two minutes in advance. sit the gently caress down

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this story is running on too many layers of dramatic irony at once, it’s very stressful

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MechaX posted:

Honestly the journalist discourse on the side quests is kind of strange to me.

Like, it sucks how it doesn't have very few but a little longer side quests like 6 through 10. But like, I guess we could go back to 12 and 13 where it was all Hunts, but 16 has Hunts too so I'm not sure what the major malfunction here is.

Yeah 15 had more side quests but a lot of that also boiled down to "go here and get jumped by a bunch of monsters" and I don't remember nearly enough people complaining about that hitch in priority of everything else.

15 was held together with spit and glue so complaints about the repetitive quests need to wait in line with all the others. 16 on the other hand seemed extremely confident in itself from the start so it's raising some eyebrows how content-light it is in certain key areas

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I could have sworn the HUD disappeared whenever you weren’t in combat but now it’s hanging around in any region that might contain hostiles

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Did I miss a scene or was this just awkward editing: You witness the citizens of Eastpool get slaughtered and thus decide to join forces with Cid. Cit tells you next stop is Oriflamme to visit your mother for ordering said citizen's deaths. We then get a "meanwhile" scene of Oriflamme's king being evil and talking about starting a war of expansion. Then cut back to the hideaway and Cid is in media res talking about how the mother crystals are actually evil. Feels like very sloppy editing in the segue unless I missed something.

...cid was talking about attacking the mothercrystal. that's what he meant by "pay a visit to Mother." you say it right there in your post

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i only just started to notice it after the first point of no return. in fairness you don't exactly have a wealth of elements to choose from for a long while

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yes, you get a popup message with a yes/no prompt before you visit area that triggers it, pretty standard

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
after having just passed said first point of no return my biggest concern (other than the easiness of the combat) is that the game can hold on to its pacing. so many big jrpg's crumble apart as they move closer to the finale like a rocketship leaving orbit but this has been doing well so far and in a manner that makes me hope there's like thirty or forty hours of it left rather than ten or twenty

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the basic magic projectile has three key uses: magic combos, long-range perfect dodge counters, and blasting smaller critters out of the air. seems reasonable enough, though i wouldn't mind more pizzazz on the projectiles themselves

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh yeah occasionally I make myself loving levitate with the Aero projectile, putting myself in a key position to downward slash whoever’s unlucky enough to be underneath, but I haven’t managed it on purpose yet

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
every time i encounter the black shields i Accept the Truth and slam them with ignition+phoenix whirl to insta-kill the lot, because i figured that's how clive behaves when he's mad

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if this newly introduced character does not shout “tally-ho!” at least once I will be sorely disappointed because they are the tally-hoingest person who ever drew breath

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i like how the first hunt introduced the Doom spell so i get whisked away to the game over screen before registering what the gently caress just happened. first and probably only time i'll see it, but at least it lets you know that these critters warrant more caution than usual

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Klungar posted:

Question about Eikons that is probably a spoiler, but may just be me being dumb. Who is the Eikon of the Element of Water?

presumably it's leviathan, but i haven't seen any mention of it where i'm at now while the others have been brought up exhaustively. it's possible the game takes place while it's still mid-reincarnation

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
second crystal dungeon spoilers

i'm very pleased with how jill's whole mini-arc was handled. i didn't expect much different considering the general tenor of the story, but she starts by saying "i am going to stab this man" and ends it stabbing that man. clive doesn't try to dissuade her, he isn't killed by falling rubble or some other happenstance to keep her hands clean, she doesn't bemoan or regret the act afterward. she just going in treating it like a grim but necessary chore and then wipes her blade and moves on

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the random encounters put up as much resistance as dandelion fluff but several times now my train of thought against bosses has run something like “jesus loving christ, calm down! stop! STOP!”

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I keep finding disabled versions of those training mode tablets out in the field. should i be doing something with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

Game really does feel like “babby’s first racism” sometimes. (Post point of no return spoilers)Clive sees another village purged by the black shields “Why would they do this???” Clive you’ve been seeing why for the last 10 hours. They’ve literally explained it to you, and you’ve know your mom was evil and petty for almost 20 years at this point

you maybe should have listened to the second half of his question. the purges are even targeting healthy bearers who could still be of use to racist aristocrats like his mother. he's not shocked by the fact of the cruelty but by the blood-gargling pointlessness of it