Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Already got a Vagrant Story vibe from the demo, but I'm 8h in and that vibe has only gotten stronger. I'm delighted.

I do have criticisms - e.g. exploring isn't as rewarding as in other games, combat is often rote, etc. - but overall it's extremely my jam. The performances are spot on, the music's top notch, and the world is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

MechaX posted:

I got past the first big point of no return and out of anything, I think the Game of Thrones comparisons are going to drive me more insane the further we get out and the more I play.

This poo poo is Vagrant Story/FF Tactics in 4K, except they can show more bodies and blood than they ever could in their original games. For god's sake, the part I'm at right now screams "Ramza's Act 3 Heretic Arc"

I generally agree; been saying the same thing since I finished the demo. IMO their explicit callout of GoT is partly for marketing and name recognition. While Vagrant Story/FFTactics callouts would resonate among folks like us, they're relatively niche in Square's pantheon

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

pro tip: do not gently caress with Goetz.

me whenever Goetz is on screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Svf76f4ZfU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

second crystal dungeon spoilers

i'm very pleased with how jill's whole mini-arc was handled. i didn't expect much different considering the general tenor of the story, but she starts by saying "i am going to stab this man" and ends it stabbing that man. clive doesn't try to dissuade her, he isn't killed by falling rubble or some other happenstance to keep her hands clean, she doesn't bemoan or regret the act afterward. she just going in treating it like a grim but necessary chore and then wipes her blade and moves on

Same. I also appreciated her saber salute and Lady Maria Visceral Attack

isk
Oct 3, 2007

2023 has given us two of the best videogame pals: Turgle and Torgal

isk
Oct 3, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Trading Jill for Byron on my adventurers definitely seems to be trading up.

Not a knock on Jill, he’s just so much more fun.

He just rolled the R when he said "ruffians"

I love him

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Echoing others about the 4th Eikon fight. Genuinely let out a Ric Flair WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at the end

What a game

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Good golly, these sidequests. I know the gameplay itself is basic, sometimes tedious, but the rewards are incredible. Like, the skill points are often considerable, the crafting rewards can be exceptional, and the information is frequently next level - especially as the game progresses. Two in particular (available later in the game): Payback and For Great Justice. The latter's name especially lowered expectations, but wow, the execution. They pull zero punches. Other quests give not only worldbuilding but character development and greater insight into relationships. Why the characters have made their choices leading up to (and including) the events in the game.

Really good stuff. Don't sleep on 'em.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

bobby2times posted:

So anyone else scream along with the Titan abilities?

more of a growl but yes

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Go balls out and you might

:laffo:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a way to see your game time? I noticed the save file just shows what time it was when you saved and I can't find play time in the menu.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

Wow I didn't know such a short amount of displayed games/services was possible. Or is that just the only game you've played on it?

I pruned some things and uninstalled all my other games (already played the hell out of 'em)

Semi-related: The PS5 dashboard has too much stuff I don't care about. Even with the quick resume after sleep (which is extremely good), launching & playing games shouldn't have so many obstacles and distractions

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Azubah posted:

I really like how goddamn sinister the FF theme is in this.

:same:

Soken uses leitmotif in XIV all the time: I'm glad he continues that in XVI

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I agree. During the Titan fight when Ifrit-Clive used the Mother Crystal's aether to make loving rock boxing mitts and then we started punching each other's fists like DBZ I was looking at the screen in a way that I was almost like the sheer audacity of these mother fuckers and just laughing. It was absolutely absurd.

you are already cursed; you just don't know it yet

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Just realized something, post 4th crystal: Since the creator of the Enterprise made Clive the captain, that makes him Mid's ship man

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

i definitely prefer this hot-and-cold pacing and the obvious allocation of budget and effort to the approach of several other big-budget games this generation, especially from western studios. this is the first mainline final fantasy game in maybe a decade that had a steady hand at the tiller and sometimes the consequence of that clear vision is that it focuses more on some parts of the final product than others. the lauded "everything for everyone" games like forbidden west, god of war ragnarok and the last of us make me want to put my loving head through a wall

:same:

IMO FW and Ragnarok set out to simply be *more* in every way than their previous entries, and each ended up with a ton of cruft

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Have they really done this since Schrier left

Schreier isn't a gem, either; IMO he's a glorified ambulance chaser with little regard for staff-level devs (he claims otherwise but his stories often hurt 'em and he keeps doing it)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Just killed an S-rank without taking any damage. When this game's combat is on (which is frequent IME), it feels so good

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Agreed

Also, echoing others in this thread that Polygon's review shows some serious media illiteracy. Just finished the 7th Eikon, and the slavery / free will theme is central throughout. And it's reasonably apparent! Like, it doesn't take collective analysis from thousands of folks, nor is it as I_know_writers_who_use_subtext.jpg as Death Stranding

Game owns

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Just got to the final mission. Some folks don't like the sudden surge of side quests and hunts here, and I can understand that. Me, though? I'm looking at it like

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Begemot posted:

In the latter parts of the game, one of my biggest frustrations is fights with lots of weak enemies. One big enemy with a stagger bar? No problem, I can annhilate them efficiently. But I always just end up doing the regular combo on weak enemies, and even with finishers it feels like it takes forever. I know I should use more eikonic powers, but I got in the bad habit of saving them for enemies with stagger bars, and it's hard to break that.

The Bahamut O move is perfect for fights like that! You can start it up and get up to level 4 in no time if there are a bunch of enemies grouped together. Just a few dodges and you're done, and raining fire down upon them, it's great.

Flames of Rebirth and Earthen Fury are pretty great against crowds, and they bias towards damage instead of stagger. Once you get enough SP to have 4+ ults, you can save things like (5th Eikon) Diamond Dust and Aerial Blast for stagger power.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Couple questions about abilities

Do you guys get much use out of the ultimates? It seems like they take so long to come back online that I'd rather use something I can spam three times in the same period of time. And they're so expensive AP-wise that I can't mix and match like I can with the other abilities.

And speaking of which, what abilities do you guys use? I have the Lightning Rod/multi-hit abilities on a lot of the time, but I'm not super excited about it, kind of a pain when stuff wants to move around on you. And other than that, I don't really know which abilities are better than which. I've basically never swapped off the starting two Phoenix abilities, which seem great, and Gouge, and then the rest of the other slots are basically random based on whatever sounds interesting. (I've only got 4 Eikons right now, btw)

In late game, 4/6 of my abilities are ults. Some are great for crowd control and overall damage to lighter enemies. Others delete health and stagger bars of larger enemies. Outside of that, I'm generally dodging and powering up various O abilities. Stagger -> ult/O chain is not unlike Lift -> Smash combos of Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Clocked in 79 hours with the end credits rolling right now. Holy poo poo!! What a game. A thoroughly textured world with great gameplay, ridiculous art, consistently excellent performances, and a terrific story. Easily a 4/5 for me, maybe a 5/5. Extremely happy to start Final Fantasy Mode.

I'd love to see what this team could do with a longer (but still healthy) runway.

A few random bits:

- Pleasantly surprised by the relative realism of the game's weapons (including Clive's). Several get wild, and that's OK; some variety isn't the worst thing. Still, several seem heavily based on surviving historical examples or high-quality replicas (which makes sense, considering Clive's sword is in the UK's Royal Armouries for the next few weeks). Only complaint is most folks use 2h weapons with 1h, but I get why.

- How 'bout those snappy load times? Happy to see more devs leverage the PS5's storage architecture.

- After finishing the demo, I could see why the dev team mentioned Game of Thrones as an influence, but I felt more of a FFTactics/Vagrant Story/Tactics Ogre Reborn vibe. I think that carries through the entire game. Plus, the ending is, you know, good.

- I'd be interested in the team's motivations behind the last two antagonists. I kinda get where they were going, but they felt ponderous to me. Definitely not a "love to hate" thing.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

i also appreciate how most of clive's weapons are big chunky broadswords. the more exotic designs felt weird on him. the ramuh weapon especially looked like it would hurt to hold

I geeked out a bit when I realized most of them have good distal taper. Even (endgame weapons) Ragnarok / Gotterdammerung, which look massive upfront, actually have a thin profile - just like a proper longsword. I was gonna criticize their hilts for not being big enough / pommels not weighty enough, but nope, they work when you look at them from all angles.

A transmog system would be :kiss:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

You’re not wrong but I’d say this is a logical outgrowth of do what works and only selectively break the mold to get the drat thing out the door. I’ll take this weird lumpy backwards poo poo if it means the main story/cutscenes/base gameplay are on point. I’m just glad it’s done and we got it and it’s good. But I think it makes sense to do what you know to reduce overhead/unnecessary labor.

Agreed, especially considering the unevenness of the last 2 (arguably 3) mainline FFs. They needed a solid win, and they got it

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Bruceski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yhgDoJQtBc you might enjoy this, a replica-maker was commissioned to make Clive's sword.

Yep, that's the one in the Royal Armouries! Tod and Matt are pretty great

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Currently going through NG+ on Final Fantasy mode. There's some good foreshadowing without getting into Hello, Mr Thompson territory. The subtitles have hidden delights; e.g. before we know Otto's name, he's identified as Curmudgeon

Also, I like how the humor is more about situational/character-specific cleverness than trashbag helmet wackiness

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I will say though that (6th eikon) probably dozens of pages back now but somebody brought up that it was kinda gross that Clive got Jill to surrender her power so easily. And they were right. And then a little later the game itself acknowledges this by having Joshua deck Clive and call him out for being an rear end in a top hat. He doesn't stay mad forever of course, but I feel like a lot of stories in the vein of FF16 would have done the first part and then never mentioned it again.

I love that exchange, especially the release at the end (6th Eikon):
GAV: Did I miss something?
CLIVE: Joshua didn't.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

Someone upthread mentioned this feeling quintisentially FF in terms of structure/vibes and I had the same thought. Some, probably not all, of the music is synth/MIDI, and I remember noticing a not unpleasant sort of clash between the oldschool music and the hyper modern visuals, and I’ll be damned if it didn’t all come together to kinda make me feel like this was a much older game than it actually is. Hard to put my finger on a couple chords combined with some string of dialog that I can’t even remember, but those slightly artificial strings—not a knock I like the music—landed so perfectly that I was sorta transported back to the PSX era for a hot second. To me it’s kinda like a brief moment where the whole essence of the thing became strikingly and fundamentally Final Fantasy in a fashion that goes way beyond mechanics. Like, after nearly 40 years of this series, they managed to zero in on something that holds onto the identity even if the gameplay is totally different.

I’m struggling to put this into words and might be crazy, but it’s something that hit me while playing it. Wish I could remember where it was. But that music has a kind of aged quality. Nearly Dragon Quest in its simplicity, but that’s what made it work. In another game it might have been jarring but in this one it was just nostalgic and perfect.

IMO it has the darkest renditions of Prelude and Final Fantasy in the series (and it works because they're used at the right times and with the right instruments)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Only thing bad about Mid is her full first name. It sounds like medicine

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Caught some FFXIV VAs here and there:

- Sanbreque's High Cardinal is played by Timothy Watson (Urianger)
- The Crimson Caravan's Eloise is played by Laura Aikman (Lyse)

Might be others; those are just the two I spotted right away

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Thought the end felt lacking. Still a solid game, but the end dropped it a bit.

might be related to

Paint Crop Pro posted:

I ended up skipping alot of dialogue and burned out pretty hard.

isk fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 4, 2023

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I do like not having to grind in an FF for once (more accurately, that the grind is hidden in quests / chests / hunts / etc)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Mr. Trampoline posted:

What FF games do you have to grind in

I remember grinding in I, IV, V (for JP), VI, VII (not 7R), VIII (Drawing), XII, and Tactics (for JP/Jobs)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

bewilderment posted:

So uh... at the start of the game nobody knows who this mysterious other eikon is, just that they're a "second Eikon of Fire".
At what point do they actually know to call this being Ifrit?

Telamon? That's actually a reference - not to FF but to the Wheel of Time fantasy book series. I actually laughed when I first saw that as Cid's last name; it would be like giving a scifi video game character a last name like Palpatine or Picard.

I had the same reaction!

I have won again, Cidolfus Telamon

No, it was her full first name that made me think of medicine

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

So, speaking of sidequests: I'm more or less at the last dungeon, any of the many sidequests that open up at that point worth doing just to do? At 53 hours in I've reached my "kinda wanting to wrap this up" point.

I enjoyed p much all of them. A few of are short (but worthwhile) chains

isk
Oct 3, 2007

A fix-focused patch just went live. 270 MB. Apparently an additional patch with more fixes is in flight.

Notes (spoiler - they're vague):

-Various minor bugs have been addressed.
-Game crashing issues have been resolved.
-Audio and dialogue-related bugs have been fixed.
-Glitches in the game have been addressed.
-Issues with textures have been resolved.
-Other minor tweaks.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I unironically love how some of the VAs snorted while laughing

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ror posted:

Just got to the second ”indefatigably” in the game, never saw it coming. If there’s a third I’m going full McMahon gif.

Mothercrystals are now battlefields

isk
Oct 3, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm enjoying that all of Blackthornes quests are just "Grumpy Gus strikes again 1 2 3"

I genuinely like how (Blackthorne progression) he gradually goes from "constantly gruff & curt" to "grizzled but caring grandpa"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

E7 is pretty great for crowds, especially when there's 1 big/slow boy that's easily stopped with E6 dodge

(not complaining, only an observation: I feel like I'm writing with chess notation)