Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I bought a PS5 so I can play this. The anticipation is killing me.

It's wild to me to me that we haven't had a proper Final Fantasy game without any weird development drama since FFXII in 2006. Fabula Nova Crystallis really hosed up the company for 15 straight years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

FF12 has extremely notably production drama. Matsuno left SE before the game was complete due to it. Yiazmat is an oblique reference to it

I should have been more clear in my wording. I am more so looking at how all of the games since FF12 have had so much baggage due to their ties to bigger/other things.

The only single player FF games that we've gotten that weren't remakes/remasters were part of Fabula Nova Crystallis that spiraled out of control.

The legacy of the crystals have shaped our history for long enough indeed.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

All I'm trying to get at is that it has been literal decades since we've been able to get excited about a single-player Final Fantasy game that is a new title and not a remaster or remake or sequel or connected to any other game in the series.

It loving rules.

I feel like a teenager again with how giddy I am.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Clive is the first totally new mainline single player protagonist since 2006, since that’s the year Lightning and Noctis were revealed.

I'm hootin! I'm hollerin! I'm a loving idiot and I just want to play Final Fantasy XVI!!!!!!!

In all seriousness though, I tend to not be super excited when it comes to video game releases. I've never been one to react to an upcoming game in the way the gametrailers guys did for Shenmue 3. Even my favorite games or like a new FFXIV expansion, I'll be excited, but it's more of a "Yeah, I'm looking forward to that. I'll get it when it comes out."

Something about this game is different though. The last time I felt this excited for a video game was... maybe Witcher 3 in 2015?

It feels good to be excited!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Goddammit there's currently a lucky draw event to get tickets to a meet and greet with YoshiP here in Malaysia in the city that I live in but to enter you need a receipt for preordering a disc copy of XVI and I have a digital PS5.

It's mildly tempting to spend cash on a useless disc just to have a chance of meeting YoshiP (and the chances aren't too bad because there's like 80 tickets reserved for local Malaysians) but ehhhhh. Gonna see if I can find a friend who has a disc PS5 and I can get them a gift I guess if it works out.

Just buy it and then cancel your preorder?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Terper posted:

Clicked on the link and then immediately de-clicked

I shall not watch...!!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The dog better live. :mad:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1-ENcur_14

Here's another one that is up for the moment.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tekne posted:

Watch minutes of glorious violence against animals and appliances by Clive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW0jPCdR9mg

gently caress. This looks sick as hell.

For those worried about spoilers - it's just two fights against hunt enemies.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I forgot that since this is releasing based on US Eastern time in America, I’ll be able to play at 9pm on the 21st.

gently caress playing a demo. 10 days remain.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The demo will be the intro to the game, and you carry over that progress to the full game. This is perfect in my opinion. I don't think I would really be that excited for the demo if it was just a small slice somewhere later in the game.

I just don't want to have to wait to play more. I want to sit down and play without limit. I get why people are excited for the demo and go hog wild. Personally, I want to play a few hours and then have to wait another 10 days to play more.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If people care so much about turn based games - Dragon Quest is right there.

Let FF be weird and do new things all the time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

punished milkman posted:

any video game writing that uses the word “indefatigable” is good

I hope we hear someone order us to run to the larboard side.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

As someone whose first FF was FF8, Ifrit always was special to me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

If you dislike playing characters named "Clive Rosfield" and "Noctis Lucis Caelum" equally then you can always play 14 and go adventuring with, uh, ... *checks party list* "Lost Child", "Fanatic Posadist", "Xxsephirothhh Fourtwenty", and "Catman John".

https://twitter.com/Yelix/status/1164883642809769986

Bonus -
https://twitter.com/olivebrinker/status/1297235907976638464

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

We are all 7 days and 3.5 hours from playing this game in full.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I haven't preordered a ps5 game yet. Do games unlock at midnight in each region by region or is it all at like midnight pst?

It unlocks midnight eastern time. So 9pm Wednesday for the wbest coast.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Halfway through my workday on Thurs for me then at GMT +8. I didn't take time off to play, oh well.

Meanwhile my job is just about to enter a massive two week crunch period with long hours during the week and maybe some weekend work through the rest of the month. Perfect timing. :negative:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Itzena posted:

Thunder God Cid needs to be verbose imo.

Jesus christ. I just realized that since Cid is the Dominant for Ramuh he actually is Thunder God Cid. drat you YoshiP!!!!!!!! :argh:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

They said this is a 40 hour game. The first 2 hours are in the demo. The other 38 hours are just hardcore gay sex.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Looks like the game is starting to get out there. I'll probably go dark on this thread after today.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/TempestRyuno/status/1669411566335213578

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Apparently full story leaks are out in the wild already, so be careful for those who are trying to avoid spoilers.

Yeah. I'm out of this thread now. I have zero self control and reflexively touch black bars.

Time to unbookmark the thread.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

TBH it would be nice to have a black bar/spoiler thread where people can talk about story and then a general/mechanics thread where black bars and story talk are banned.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many archaisms are we gonna hear like in FF14... anyone going to be "in their cups"

you and yours

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Argue posted:

I was under the impression that installing from disc didn't install all the resources from it, and still required the disc to be in the PS5

Generally, nowadays discs install everything and just use the disc as a "validator"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Disc basically have two purposes for the consumer -

1 - You want to be able to trade it in/share it.
2 - You don't have the data speed/caps need to download the full game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Clive is the best. FFXVI is gonna be the best. And Ben Starr is the best because Ben Starr, like me, understands that FFVII is the best Final Fantasy.

FF8-2? No. FF8x2. FF16.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/nightskyprince_/status/1670137396325761025

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I was going to say "I wish we could have seen the true version of FFXV we would have gotten with the original vision." but even that is a loaded statement because which original version? FFXV? FF Versus VIII?

The answer is both. :unsmigghh:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I AM A BIG loving MORON AND I JUST WANT TO PLAY FINAL FANTASY XVI

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am traveling for up to a month starting on June 23, and I think 1. how unfortunate the timing, and 2. the slightly elevated chance that I could die or be incapacitated before getting to play FFXVI lol

Yeah, I have the unfortunate timing of just being in the middle of a crunch period for work so between now and July 4th, I have very limited play time. I'll be surprised if I make it more than 10 hours into the game over the first two weeks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

ifrit’s been one of the chump starter summons for decades, it’s trippy to see him portrayed as an ominous walking nuke

Ifrit always held a special place to me because he's the first boss of FF8 and FF8 was my first FF.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Isn't he also a twink?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I can't believe I'm going to be playing this stupid loving game in 31 more hours.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Can we get a thread title change to signify this as the SPOILER FREE ZONE I WILL SUMMON IFRIT TO KILL YOU IF YOU POST SPOILERS

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I think it's valid to find them pretty basic because they are. You do them if you want to see more of the world and characters. (Likewise if you skip them I can see thinking some stuff falls by the wayside because a *lot* of the classism/racism stuff is tackled more in-depth there.)

I haven't played the demo yet so I'm not sure if there are side quests in early section but are side quests all voice acted?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It feels like from a developer perspective its really hard to do side content in an RPG. How do you do something that is more than just fetch / kill quests and make them all meaningful? its a ton of extra work if you want complex side quests, especially for a modern day AAA RPG.

I was thinking about that on my commute today. There is a constant complaint about side quests but like - what do people want from side quests?

Even games like the Witcher 3, which has a ton of side quests, can be reduced down to 90% of the side quests being "run over here. kill this thing. okay come back."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oyjldkh5kE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I wonder how much effort it will take to get the platinum.