Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RatHat posted:

My big worry is this’ll influence game development in the future since Saudia Arabia just invested a fuckton of money into the industry recently.
the issue is saudi arabia is a fairly small gaming *market* so catering content for them is a deadend road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Is the demo just a cutscene? Lol and :bravo: if so.
its the intro story and then you get to play around in a combat dungeon from later in the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i mean, any acknowledgement that sex exists gets you the #1 spot here.
ff14 acknowledges sex a lot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

seymour's mom was good but also kind of hosed him up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sephiroth had space mom

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Thinking about it, of party members who are parents.
FFII: Josef (dies)
FFIV: Cid (survives), Tellah (dies) (Yang/Cecil/Rosa in the sequel)
FFV: Galuf (dies)
FFVI: Cyan (survives, family dies), Strago (survives), Shadow (Dies),
FFVII: Barret (survives)
FFVIII: Laguna (survives)
FFIX: Technically Vivi (seemingly dies.)
FFX: N/A (Wakka and Lulu in sequel)
FFXII: N/A
FFXIII: Sazh (survives)
FFXV: N/A

Not a great lineup TBH.
red's implied to be a parent at the end of ff7 also!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RatHat posted:

Have the devs said if there will be more weapon types or is Clive stuck with a sword?
Seems like rather than different weapons the various eikon modes are the substitute for that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the zack/aerith stuff was a decently big part of crisis core and ff7r leaned into the love triangle stuff more than early game ff7 did but in terms of new mainline ff, nah. unless you wanna count a few subplots in 14.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

i never understood people's problem with clive, the games have always had a mixture of regular guy names and weird bullshit

americans have this gene where they associate completely normal names with stuff they make up in their heads about politics or whatever. its very tragic and we must all pray for a cure

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

After I beat Gigas, I got a tutorial telling me that if I do especially well against bosses, I'll get a reward. I didn't get a reward from any of the subsequent bosses.

I wish it hadn't told me it was grading my performance. I could've been satisfied if getting some loot from a boss were just a random thing, but knowing that it's based on some arbitrary (and unexplained!) threshold of performance is just really grinds my gears. I hate, hate, hate when games do that. That's why I don't usually play this genre. If the game thinks I'm not doing well enough, it should just make me lose. Letting me continue but saying I should've done better is just insulting. It's going to be difficult to ignore it but I'll try. Why even have it?
getting it is a bonus, not getting it isnt a punishment. its not that it doesnt think you're doing well enough, it's just a bonus for players who want to try extra hard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ff14 trial ad, yoshi-p is on that grindset

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this game isnt game of thrones, its ultraman

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think thats how jrpgs have been paced for like 20 years

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that eurogamer review seems pretty banal outside of the weird assertion that there literally isnt a single non-white person in the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The Polygon article where they’re shocked Clive has to learn slavery is bad instead of coming out of his not at all terrible mother’s womb with the inherent knowledge is pretty cringe too
the only thing you need to know about gita jackson is that when kotaku published a sexual assault victim's name without permission she went 'we cant retract this, or else gamergate will win'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah 'i wish the cast was more diverse' is a totally fair critique but like. there are darker skinned people in the game. you see them. plenty of rl middle eastern people have hugo's skintone and hes from a country obviously inspired by the middle east. its weird how multiple articles directly point him out but then act like hes the whitest man theyve ever seen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people are just really bad at viewing things in context anymore, at least when it comes to social justice related stuff. the stupidest by far ive seen is when great ace attorney got translated and the game - which takes place in 1899 - depicts the british being racist to the japanese. not even super harshly, just dismissive and condescending. multiple sites were confused by this and wondered why it was in the game, acted like it was some kind of mistake, and i absolutely saw at least one site call capcom racist. against the japanese. brilliant.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

And just at setting aside their personal desires/expectations.

For example - I don't like Breath of the Wild. I like the more traditional style Zelda games. I've twice sunk countless hours into BotW and never could muster enough motivation to beat it. I love the shrines, but found every other aspect of playing the game to be a chore. That doesn't make the game bad though. The game isn't trying to be the same thing as classic Zelda games. If I review it by trying to force it into that mold, I'm not reviewing it for what it is.

To me, BotW is a 2/10 game. If I were to review BotW, it would be a 9/10 because it is very good at what it is trying to be.

id give botw a 7/10, objectively. scared?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean if youre using all 3 slots for the accessibility rings why would you want or need other accessories. is +5% fire damage worthwhile when youre automatically dodging and countering everything

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people in real life do things and experience them as out of body experiences and then dont assign them to themselves. happens a lot with like, drug trips.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

The voice acting in this game is really impressive and has carried all the scenes for me so far, even the ones that have been pretty generic. In fact, this is probably gonna be the first FF I willingly play through with the English dub instead of the Japanese. Having tried both versions, not only does the English just seem to fit this whole GoTish aesthetic better, it seems like they literally animated the lipsynch to the English voices instead of the Japanese ones. Which is kinda wild to me, though tbh I haven't played a JRPG in like four years so maybe that's just the norm now.

that definitely isnt the norm for JRPGs at all but it is the norm for jp games with bigger western fanbases than JP ones. like sonic does that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Geckoagua posted:

Skillup review dropped, and I don't want to yuck any yum but I agree with all of it. I really am not seeing as much as people in this thread are seeing in FFXVI, so much of it feels directly lifted from FFXIV which is incredibly dated in itself. Maybe FF just ain't for me anymore. Interesting points about the game design, regardless of where you fall on opinion though.

'we've lost one of the greatest RPG series ever' lmfao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest I doubt we go back from the action genre. But this was kind of inevitable so I don’t know why people are suprised
eh. i doubt they'll ever go full turn-based again but i could see them making it something closer to tales with more delineated rpg battles than 7r or this, even if combat is still real time.

but yeah, it really seems like people who have very little experience of the series outside of the big entries because ff16 is extremely in the mold of crisis core, type-0, stranger of paradise, and 13-3. (and dirge of cerberus but i dont think i wanna mention that one.) like crisis core especially is an extremely beloved entry in the series in japan, i dont think its unreasonable for a mainline game to explore that solo character action, stripped back rpg elements direction more. screaming about how parties are dead forever because one game was largely solo.

i wonder what the reaction would have been if ff tactics had been ff8. 'oh, so now everything's grid-based? forever?'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SettingSun posted:

-Heavily skewed cutscene/gameplay ratio.
its a final fantasy game yes

SettingSun posted:

-No party members, both in combat and narratively.
wrong

SettingSun posted:

-Puddle deep itemization.
true of a lot of ff games

SettingSun posted:

-Heavy character action focus combined with a lack of more complex tactics like elemental resistance/vulnerability and character development strips the game of its RPGness..
the deep complex tactics of hitting the water boss with a lightning spell for more damage. no ff game has really had complex strategy. like he mentions 'debuffs' and who on planet earth has ever used a debuff in an ff game?

SettingSun posted:

-Lame sidequests with poor rewards.
thinking the writing in them is lame is fair but i cant really recall any sidequests in most ff games with big rewards. there's like a couple huge ones, like the wutai sequence, per game, and then one thing like triple triad, and then a bunch of ones that just give margical weapon upgrades in the last 3 hours of the game.

SettingSun posted:

-No real exploration of field areas.
also true of other ff games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

Debuffs are pretty important in FFXIII but that's about it (not counting rebalance mods like FFXII Struggle for Freedom or whatever since those are mods and not representative of the games themselves)
ff13 debuffs are sorta weird because they arent really optional things that are a part of strategic depth like in some turn based RPGs, there being a whole class based around them makes them pretty core to the experience imo. so they kinda feel different to like, casting Slow or whatever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think its less about the literal things that happen in the world and more the atmosphere and how the presentation depicts that world. you can have a series set in the modern day that feels more intense and heavy than a story set in hell with demons tearing people apart for instance. i can get saying this game's atmosphere feels heavier than most ff games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Rebirth should be more flexible by giving you more playable characters at least. Though God knows how they will make Cait Sith fun to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epggn0n8aws

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf dmc and bayonetta are like, 6-7 hours if you skip the cutscenes on a repeat playthrough, not 30. so there locking the difficulties to ng+ makes more sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you get some hub areas later on with a decent number of sidequests but dont expect 'ignoring the story' to be a thing you can do for ages

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

critical thinking skills are not taught in schools especially in relation to media so people can make careers out of having the stupidest opinions ever if they generate clicks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Books On Tape posted:

There shouldn't be scaled level enemies.
this series literally pioneered the concept of level scaling. ff8 was one of the first big games to do it after experiments with it in stuff like nethack and 7th saga

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Books On Tape posted:

It wasnt good in FF8 either.
i also dont think it was good in ff8

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'they dont want ff to be an rpg series' is pretty ridiculous when it's one game in a series where the level of rpg stuff has always varied, especially if you step outside the mainline stuff and look at like, crisis core, type-o, etc. or if you wanna look at more tangentially related stuff, vagrant story and kingdom hearts. this sort of thing has always been related to the ff series and is a big part of its legacy.

and all the high level staff have talked a bunch about the core of the FF series is that each game is different. if you'd prefer more RPG stuff sure but i dont get the arguments that 'this isnt FF' or 'ugh, this is what the FF series is going to be, forever, now?'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

disagreeing with a review isnt getting defensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

clive's moveset rules, the issue is the game gives you very little reason or time to explore it on a normal first playthrough