Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

The Human Crouton posted:

Turns out that gameplay can be discarded.

Yes this is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

runaway dog posted:

I hate this argument, 12 was the first time they truly changed up combat in a meaningful way. 1-10 all have the same basic turn based combat, adding jobs or making leveling weird or making those turns happen on global cooldowns doesn't really count as changing up the battle system, it's more variations of the same system.

Hard disagree, FFX and FFVII feel completely different.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Legs Benedict posted:

i do they're all pretty cool

Yeah if you actually pay attention to the side quests instead of immediately writing them off because they're GREEN QUEST ICONS, there's a lot to like. Lot of good side characters and stories.

Not sure if people complain about it here but I know in other places people act like the game drops the bearer abolition stuff as the game goes on but if you do the side quests it absolutely does not.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Thundarr posted:

Yeah this is more or less why I was disappointed in the fight. I was hoping for another rumble using Ifrit but almost the entire fight is a tense battle on foot, in the dark. The payoff in the form of getting big and Hulk Smashing Odin never comes, though the mid fight cutscene is admittedly very cool.

I liked Odin more because while Ifrit stuff was neat I thought it wasn't as fun to play as it was to look at.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

God I tried doing the Phoenix Chronolith trials and wiped on the 2nd round lol, it felt like I was doing so little damage... I had no problem with clearing the Shiva one

I did not notice this the first time I attempted any of the trials but you can change up your equipment between stages. I didn't tackle the challenges until post game when I had already ran to every shop and bought every accessory (though I think there's a few field and dungeon chests that I missed, I had 2 accessories for most but not all of the non-ultimate abilities). Swapping my accessory load-out was essential to me clearing the challenges.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

FireWorksWell posted:

Great Greagor's Gash

Such a wild curse. Imagine people went around saying "Mother Mary's oval office" all the time.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
The combat system is deep in that there are a lot of different options that all play differently and you can tweak a lot. It's just all meaningless because the enemy variety kind of sucks and you don't really need to do any nuts stuff with the abilities to beat the game. The combat shines in the Eikon challenges, it really shows you "hey we made all of these themed abilities that really work well with each other, but you can only every choose 2 at once unless you spend a lot of ability points!"

Maybe things are different on the hard modes but I never felt like there was a reason to switch what Eikons I was using besides "Here's my trash loadout, here's my boss loadout."

Every FF game should just use the FF7R system going forward, that poo poo is dope and some of the most fun I've had actually playing a game.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's always always a mistake to go into a game's thread before you've beaten it if you actually care about spoilers.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Peggy Edson posted:

lol this fuckin game doesn't even have statuses? I was hoping that would get introduced by a boss at some point but I'm guessing that's a no. :reject:

Status effects are never fun or interesting so who loving cares. I don't think the combat is that good in this game but status effects definitely would not make it better or more interesting.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Bob Smith posted:

Hades and the Souls games are two examples that immediately come to mind that make use of "status effects" and buffs/debuffs as key mechanics in an action game.

To be honest I was only thinking of status effects from the "Enemies can blind/silence/etc you" perspective and not from the "You can buff yourself or debuff enemies" perspective. Buffing and debuffing are fun, so that actually would be a positive improvement.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I think they should have allowed us to switch what Eikons and moves are equipped in combat, or at least do the FF7R thing where you can hold down a button during a cutscene that leads into a boss to go to the menu before the fight actually starts and adjust your loadout.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

HD DAD posted:

Honestly I kinda miss stumbling blindly onto sidequests.

gently caress that, I'm old and I have no free time. I don't want to waste what little time and energy I have on hoping I chance into fun stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

the_steve posted:

WRT Jill: It's because Priming takes a toll on the Dominant. It's hard to tell since her outfits cover pretty much everything from the neck down, but it's pretty strongly implied that she's suffering from a fair degree of the Crystal's Curse. Not as bad as Cid's or Joshua's cases, but still pretty rough for her. Plus, someone needed to keep an eye on Mother of the Year to make sure she didn't try to pull anything.

Jill spoiler(why are we talking in here and not the spoiler thread?) Well there's one part where her outfit is NOT covering her at all and they did not have her visibly suffering from the Curse. Makes you wonder if the note never got to the animation department or if the cutscene was finished before they decided how much priming should have impacted her. Or maybe they just decided they wanted her to look good naked, and gently caress the continuity.