Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Kuraibu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That world map looks really neat

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I got lucky and snagged a PS5 a few years ago during The Scalper Apocalypse. It's a rad as hell console, would recommend.

I camped out at a GameStop at 3am for a drop of four consoles in my immediate metro area back when they were impossible to find. Was it dumb? Yes. Did I get one? Also yes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Takai looks like he needs to sleep for four days straight.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Man it feels good to be genuinely hyped for a new FF.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

RatHat posted:

The kaiju battles look like glorified cutscenes but they sure look cool

Also lol that they need 2 NPCs dedicated to explaining the plot

EDIT: Have they said anything about graphics modes yet? I'd be pleasantly surprised if there was a 60 fps performance mode

There is. 60fps performance mode in 2k I believe, and 30fps 4k.

e;fb

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Can’t wait to listen to the full Penetration Suite that was composed by Soken and takes up an entire disc of the OST

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

clive fucks, you know it, i know it

Clive will gently caress Jack

The ultimate fist bump

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
According to the Takai GameInformer interview, they aren’t even working on a Day 1 patch lol. They’re that confident the game is solid out the box.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
*hears an Icelandic accent*

So where in England are you from

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Remember that FFXIII started production in 2004 as a PS2 title. That was always wild to me.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mordiceius posted:

All I'm trying to get at is that it has been literal decades since we've been able to get excited about a single-player Final Fantasy game that is a new title and not a remaster or remake or sequel or connected to any other game in the series.

It loving rules.

I feel like a teenager again with how giddy I am.

Clive is the first totally new mainline single player protagonist since 2006, since that’s the year Lightning and Noctis were revealed.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Man, I wanna play the demo but I also kinda want to wait until release day and just dive in blind. Conflicted.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tekne posted:

I want to see the climax, final boss, and a scene from the ending compacted into a 2 minute trailer tyvm.

I’m sure by 12:30am on 6/22 there will be multiple videos on YouTube titled “FFXVI FINAL BOSS!?” with the fight smack dab in the thumbnail.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFXVI is the demo for the demo

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I did not call off of work on the 22nd and 23rd but lmao if they think I’m actually going to be productive those days.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

the last few years are probably the best shape the FF series has been since 1998 and I see that trending upward for the rest of this decade

Honestly I’d say peak FF was about 2004-ish. The franchise still had a ton of goodwill from VII-XI, X-2 was a pretty successful experiment, and there were the first rumblings over XII and Advent Children. Everyone was loving hype over Final Fantasy around then.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

I’ve made my peace with the fact that Final Fantasy has drastically changed directions since the PS3 era and isnt coming back. I would love a return to the series going back to parties and multiple characters joining you through most of the game, but it just isnt going to happen anymore. Xenoblade Chronicles is the game series youre looking for.

Seconding Xenoblade Chronicles if you need to scratch that particular itch. All three are extremely good games with great (and sometimes wacky) party-based mechanics, amazing open environments, and really good stories. Bonus if you love getting lost in Side-Quest Hell.

I feel like they’ve carried the torch on that particular style Final Fantasy used to dominate, while FF proper has been continuing to reinvent itself from the ground up.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The demo will appear in your download queue if you close your eyes and wish really hard

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The core experience is whatever FFs they played closest to ages 12-16 and thus deemed “real” FF.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the game comes out in a week. It is extremely done

Yoshi-P wakes up in a cold sweat the night before release day and realizes he forgot to put the final boss in.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lmao at so much of the trailer material just coming from the opening cutscene Jesus Christ

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Whichever article stated that this is a PS5 game with the soul of a PS2 game was dead on. And I mean that in the most complimentary way. XVI is very much its own thing, but the ever important FF vibes are all there, and makes me feel like I’m playing X or XII again for the first time.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Party is Clive with limited controls over Torgal, plus AI driven guest characters.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
People over on Twitter and Reddit are confirming the demo is an old build. Demo is v.1.01 and apparently they were playing v.1.03 last night at the XVI event. So maybe performance has already been smoothed over.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Can’t wait for Metia, the very conspicuous and mysterious red star everyone prays to to become extremely relevant in the story at some point lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Injuryprone posted:

Oops all meteors

I’d also throw some money in for ancient lunar orbital space station.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest FF14 is a close comparison

And FF12. Honestly, playing this felt like a bit of a throwback to those days, in a fun way.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The planet’s dyin’, Clive!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah parts of the Eikon fight felt like I was watching a flip book but gently caress it, it was fun as hell and that’s what matters to me

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mainwaring posted:

My bingo card has adult Joshua villain arc on it

Look, he really loving hates carrots

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I was unexpectedly checking the Active Time Lore constantly and loved it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want there to be the dumbest, story-derailing twist 70% through. It’s all aliens. Clive is his own grandfather. Valisthea is actually the moon and the moon is the real planet with an ultra-future civilization. Idc

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Ibblebibble posted:

My crack theory is that Clive dies 75% of the way through the game and Jill is the MC for the rest of the game.

Final boss Clive

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Clive backwards is Evil C :tinfoil:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

bobjr posted:

I do like how everyone instead of quippy one liners and taunts just yells gently caress all the time like they're too pissed off to say anything else.

“gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress” is the most real line in the entire franchise.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yep, my FF-fan best friend almost immediately wrote off the game as “oh so they sold out and now it’s DMC, skipping”. He’s come around a bit more since then, but some people were really stuck on a lack of a controllable party.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I still think we’ve seen almost nothing from the second half of the game.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Purple Clive is grape flavor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

jokes posted:

Can I just

loving

See Clive’s dick

Clive’s dick is modeled with more polygons than a XIV 1.0 barrel.