Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hi! I got the game a few weeks after release because so many people were hyping it up (after I really hated 15 and was lukewarm at best on 7R, and didn't feel the marketing for 16, I was hesitant), and was really pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

I played it for and with my wife watching - we do that for a lot of games - and she probably enjoyed it more than myself, she's super into Clive (and Cid and Gav and most other characters), while I like doing cool poo poo and trying new builds in the combat system. I started reading the thread from the start when we finished, and while I worked my way through it, she actually suggested an immediate replay on Final Fantasy difficulty, that's how much she liked it. I'm game, so we're back up to the events before Twinside. I forgot the last Chronolith (Ramuh's) before starting NG+, and while I could just go back and do that in the original save, I'll just do them all again, and all sidequests, because I'm gonna plat it along the way (so I need the AP rewards, and all the mementos).

I noticed when reading the thread that there's the expected divisive opinions on the game; some I simply disagree with, but for others, I gotta say it's fair. On the first playthrough we didn't really mind the sidequest dialogues too much, for example, but now we're skipping them all and yeah, if you strip the quests down to just gameplay, there's a lot of just walking fighting collecting. I mean, that was obvious, but now you don't even get some lore as reward, we know all that already. I immediately noticed how incredibly shallow the upgrade system is, though I did like how I could choose to do a difficult hunt or two earlier so I could get a better bracer quicker, which also meant I could skip a "normal" upgrade step, so it would end up being more efficient in the end.

Ultimately, I'd say the game has clear weaknesses which are mostly due to a very streamlined design, but that very focus is also its biggest strength. I do like the combat system a lot, which forgives a lot of weaknesses - Raging Fists countering will never get old - and the setpieces it guides you towards are insane. Also, I usually don't care too much about writing or characters, but yeah they really nailed Clive and most of the supporting cast including NPCs (gently caress you Gaute you useless moron tho, Otto should drown you).

Really happy about the reveal in the last few pages here that DLCs are in the works. Will gladly get them and play them with my wife, we're both open for any content, let's see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Speaking of action combat, I'm still on my FF mode replay, and I reached Necrophobe again and I think it might be my favorite "normal" fight in the game? He's super aggressive but every attack is extremely fair to dodge, all the stuff with his options he does looks amazing, and ofc it's a great reference to FFV (we stan).

I recorded my fight, which also shows my current fav loadout, just my favorite low skill high impact stuff (except for Titan counter ofc). I tried Lightning Rod strats when starting FF mode but found it way too finicky - especially putting one down to stagger and then after the stagger cutscene having the enemy end up nowhere near the rod drove me up the wall - and I finished the game with heavy Odin strats so I wanted sth else.

Unfortunately, I thought it was much quicker than it was, so the first few minutes are cut off (I told the PS5 to save the last 5 minutes of gameplay, turns out the fight was much longer lol time flies when you're having fun). Just some cool action, obviously it's spoilers if you're not there yet. I hope the name of the boss doesn't count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39d9pyTkxH8

Also, some other funny stuff I wanted to share with the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhhc9iaP3K8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-4vbF2nQAU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

As long as the lightning rod is still active, you can hit the button again and place it wherever you are. I used that alongside the orbiting fireball skill to get almost anything half staggered, especially if it's a large boss that just settled/knocked back for a few moments
Oh poo poo, that's amazing to know! That changes things a lot - it's much clunkier then. I might go back to it, because it was fun, just really frustrating when I thought it was forever placed wrong somewhere. Otoh, it's also really annoying how Clive keep prioritizing it...but yeah, I'll probably experiment more. Thanks!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Slowly working my way through the DLC as well after the holidays. Really cool so far, enjoying the views a lot!

Also, check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSmrkdyxH2I

(hope the boss name isn't too much of a spoiler? It's not the final one)

Blind no-hit :smug:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

We beat it yesterday evening and yeah that final boss ruled haha

It's a bit awkward that we started our NG+ playthrough before getting the DLC (or rather before knowing there would be one), now I can't use the cool accessories in said NG+ until way late, but them's the breaks

Maybe we'll wait for the second DLC to drop before going further? Otoh that will probably also be lategame/postgame difficulty and placement, so...