Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

how dare you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This questions segment, holy poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've never heard of this outlet so I'm going to take this report with a grain of salt, also

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There will be hardcore, full frontal gay sex in Final Fantasy XVI.

God willing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RatHat posted:

To be clear, FF16 being banned in Saudia Arabia is 100% real. It's just the reason that might be untrue

That's what I mean, yes. I know it's actually banned.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Terper posted:

Also Ben Starr is a cool dude, very charming, his favorite ff is 8

https://twitter.com/The_Ben_Starr/status/1657843162214281216

:yeshaha:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

Both of these characters will be traumatized. It is the contrast that makes it truly Grimdark.

In fact, we've already seen the dog be abused by Benedikta in promotional material.

tbf the dog abuses the hell out of benedikta in return

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

roomtone posted:

i haven't really been taken in by the combat/monster lore heavy advertising for this, and the lack of a proper party, but it occurred to me that really there hasn't been a 'proper' final fantasy at this point since 10, maybe 12 counts (i like it), but man it's been a long time. over 20 years. you'd think at some point they'd realise they'd strayed too far and make one which gets back to the core of the experience people loved, like what capcom did when they started their recent remakes and back to basics before building up again, but square just doesn't really work like that. they're always experimenting in different directions, there's no real core identity or feel to final fantasy beyond mainstream japanese.

i'm not really saying that positively or negatively it's just like - what even is final fantasy, anyway.

you, uh, you sure about that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just finished it, very excited for the full game.

I'LL FUuUuUuUcking KILL YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Concurred posted:

as annoying as it is, absolutely 100% make sure you're checking the lore archive during cutscenes because it changes constantly depending on who is in the scene / something new is mentioned

I wish it had a history and didn't seemingly cap at five entries.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly, I understand the impulse to hold back, since I almost did too. I thought I might want to save the demo for closer to release so the wait would be less agonizing once I finished it and couldn't play more, but now that I've played it I'll say it finds a good place to stop. I'm interested in more, but the demo feels relatively self-contained.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SirSamVimes posted:

The game said that rewards from battle vary based on performance. If I got nothing from the morbol or dragoon fights except gil and experience, does that mean I am terrible at video games or do they just not give you anything because you're about to lose it all?

Considering I got like two gil from all the random pickups, I expect nothing carries over

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gologle posted:

I'm pretty sure hooded guy is Clive himself from the end of the game who uses the power of time travel to ensure the events of the game happen so the world can be saved.

Minus the "saving the world" part, this is just (spoilers for a popular manga/anime) Attack on Titan

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

What element is Typhon (spoiled because it shows up in the trailers but isn't in the main advertising)?

I had initially assumed Typhon was water and they had decided to sub it in for Leviathan for whatever reason

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nomura not being involved is a regrettable black mark but I have confidence regardless

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many archaisms are we gonna hear like in FF14... anyone going to be "in their cups"

If I don't hear the phrase "mummer's farce" I'm going to be very cross

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The lip sync for different languages can be a massive storage data sink, especially for anything pre-rendered.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's good art, I know it's not actually Akihiko Yoshida but it looks just like his stuff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you can justify the score well enough through your writing there's nothing wrong with giving even BOTW a "bad" one.

Unfortunately, I don't think Jackson has done a very good job of justifying their opinion.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

'we've lost one of the greatest RPG series ever' lmfao

seems like a very melodramatic reaction to two games in a row in series of sixteen games (absolutely more, but we're counting weird here) being action focused

also, when was FF a serious, deep RPG series, cause, uhhhhh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I should really experiment with the other abilities, I'm focusing too hard on the raw star ratings so I haven't really swapped out any of my starting abilities yet besides swapping in Ifrit's fire dash, which seems sick as hell.

I watched a streamer use Heatwave to great effect as it loving chunked the Will gauge of a midboss when they countered a spell.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Who on earth cares if the layouts are mixed up? That’s no reason to gate it behind beating the game first and if DMC and Bayonetta do the same then great, sounds dumb there too.

remixing the layouts is a great reason to do this, actually

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay but that's? not what you said???

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just did a sidequest called "Caulk and Bawl". Jesus christ, Koji.

Will scooping up a dozen or more little dudes as they splatter against the windshield of Ignition ever stop being funny? Signs point to no.

It rules so hard. Every time I fire up Ignition it looks like I broke an animation or something in the best possible way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh man I think I figured out a reveal early and if I'm right the irony is delicious

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What’s your theory

A couple hours after the end of Oriflamme, and mostly just a theory: I think the cullings of Bearers that Clive's mom has been initiating are attempts to find and kill Clive because she realized that her new heir doesn't have the Blessing of the Phoenix and she's freaking out

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He is large and a friend

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I seem to be triggering some king of slow mo during combat that interrupts enemies and allows me to get a few free hits in. I'm in Sanbrequois pursuing Benedikta so I'm not too far in. How exactly does that slow mo get triggered? It feels different from perfect dodge.

That's a parry, it happens when you attack an enemy at a certain point in its attack animation. The window is pretty tight and I've never done it on purpose, lmao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, that Byron scene in Port Isolde was loving adorable

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't love Ramuh's Eikonic Feat but Pile Drive is just hilarious

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hi-Fi Rush

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

Btw, how useful is the third Eikon's Circle ability? It seems a little awkward to me. Is it worth using on individual bosses/minibosses, or only when initiating combat against groups of enemies? Re-applying it in the middle of combat against groups seems like a pain.

It's mostly just useful at the start of encounters with groups because of the chaining effect, yeah

Speaking of the third Eikon, I switched in Lightning Rod out of curiosity, not super impressed by the description, and :popeye:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just did the Hugo boss fight and got the fourth set of eikon powers. Question about that fight: There's a move he uses called, I forget, Geocrush? The one where he gets really big and does a massive AoE. How, exactly, do you avoid that? It killed me once and almost one-shot me from full health on the second attempt.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lmao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jetrauben posted:

I know at least one of my friends who aggressively dislikes playing male leads ended up feeling like XV represented Square deciding that female audiences didn't matter.

Not to rag on your friend, but this is still an extremely silly attitude that makes no sense if you consider it for even a moment

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JackDarko posted:

Question regarding the third Eikon you get.

Am I supposed to be able to equip Ifrit? I purchased Ignition and Wykes, however, when I navigate to Gear and Eikons Ifrit isn’t listed.

Feeling like I’m either missing something obvious, or I’m supposed to master the skills and equip them into either Garuda or Phoenix.

Ifrit shares an Eikon slot with Phoenix and you can equip its abilities onto Phoenix freely without having to master them first. Ifrit also does not have its own Eikonic Feat, so you can really just consider it bonus Phoenix abilities.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

54% and about the same point, I have no idea how it's tracking this lmao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Are we all looking at the same stat on the home screen? Because there's one next to the quest name that's progression through whatever quest you're on, and there's another in the bottom right corner that's total progression through the game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

theCalamity posted:

That dude asks why people think it’s not “their Final Fantasy” and brings up the Skill Up review and then proceeds to speculate what they think is different now, but that Skill Up review goes into what they feel is different

to be fair, skill up's reasons were bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Update:

Arist posted:

If I don't hear the phrase "mummer's farce" I'm going to be very cross

HELL FUCKIN' YEAH