Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Anyone have a bug that prevents them from changing settings and how can you fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I doubt many people play DMC for its difficulty anyway. DMC is fun and all but outside bosses you are dealing with fairly passive enemies and your only real enemy is that one projectile that ruins your SSS rank.

This is why its kinda hard to replicate DMC combat outside the context of DMC.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FFXVI gameplay is good. Not excellent but good. The bosses have good amount of variation and punching the ground so hard enemies go flying never got old.

I just wished they wouldve incorporated the score and rankings into the main game but theres always arcade mode

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 21, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Miss Mowcher posted:

The “Quest complete/Enemy Slain” screen interrupting the end of epic boss fights and other pivotal moments is so bad lol how did they leave it there, it breaks the pace of so many emotional moments

Thats the best part and also serves a practical purpose in a game that has like 3-4 phase boss fights

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I watched Ongbal use Rook's Gambit in some of his no damage videos and I've been really sleeping on this skill. It recharges fast and deals really good stagger damage as long as you use it aggressively. I'll definitely have to use heatwave more as well because most bosses poo poo out projectiles.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

To add to my previous post, it seems that Rook's Gambit is slightly stronger than Raging Fists while latter has a more lenient counter window. Rook can also be activated in midair which makes it more flexible to use in case your combo is about to get interrupted. Like one of the better bread and butter combos without cooldowns I've seen is:

aerial burning blade > enemy step, 3 x magic burst combo > downthrust > magic burst. Deals more damage than a basic combo and is pretty easy to activate if you practice a bit.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Only some sidequests left and the final dungeon.

I think my biggest gripe with the game is that it runs and maybe even looks worse than its predecessor FF7R. I don't think FF16 really benefits from all these open areas that are probably the reason why the game has trouble running at a decent framerate and resolution on PS5.

FF16 could've easily been a more linear or at least more condensed experience because the gameplay leans so heavily towards real time action and you don't really have to spend time customizing your character or searching for useful items.

That doesn't mean the game has to be non stop action all the time without any slower story beats or sidequests, I just wish they had done something else that isn't done at the cost of performance. Like maybe you could return to previous areas but they aren't huge sprawling fields, just relatively small dungeons or something.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

What I really wanted was the Devil Buster from DMC4/5 aka Nero's grab.

Eikonic Buster

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did you never use Garuda when enemies get to 50% stagger?

Obviously, but I want to do enemy specific wrestling moves. Doing deadly embrace on bigger enemies looks rad but I still want to suplex and drop kick dragoons like in DMC4.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 26, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Odin fight rocks.

it's easily the hardest fight in the game because there's very little scripted sequences. It's an all out brawl with multiple phases and Odin gets more and more moves as the fight drags on.

it's also clearly influenced by Vergil duels from DMC3.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

While there's a good variety of abilities, the game heavily favours hard hitting ultimates so you can do maximum damage during stagger.

This makes less powerful, utility moves less desirable due to limited ability slots.

Note this only comes to play in FF and Ultimaniac mode but I do think staggering is not a very good mechanic in this game.

I wish we at least had more ability slots or some way to have more than 6 of them.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

You unlock the ultra hard Ultimaniac difficulty mode after you beat the game.

Twice.

And yes it does get deeper at that point because enemies are more aggressive and you need to for example break their super armor before you can juggle them

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Augus posted:

You only need to beat it once and then Ultimaniac is an option in Arcade mode during NG+

Unfortunately you need to unlock every stage again so technically its twice.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

she was there in spirit because I drank 5 high potions, 5 strength tonics and 2 Lionheart potions

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FFXVI is story first gameplay second by design. Unfortunately they locked all the difficulty options behind NG+ so most people have already stopped playing by then.

In Arcade Mode items are almost nonexistent and on harder modes you need to clear the entire stage without dying. There's also a scoring system but its not very intuitive.

It's more an action game than an RPG but the action part is locked behind the story.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FF is more than its mechanics and personally I feel this game does deliver loads of FF stuff. I loved all the small nods / references to past FF games especially in boss fights

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I can't remember if Stranger of Paradise had debuffs but it's older cousin Nioh definitely had they were super busted if you could stack multiple ones on the same enemy.

On that note I feel like Stranger of Paradise style of action rpg fits FF series a lot better than FF16's pure action. Mostly because RPGs tend to be super long which might be bit too much for DMC style combat that mostly comes down to player skill.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Peggy Edson posted:

Yeah that's certainly an opinion I guess. If you like button mashing and occasionally healing then this is the game for you!

Why do you think an action game needs status effects.

FFXVI has its problems but the last thing it needs is status effects. What they should've done is added a harder NG difficulty that increases enemy aggression instead of locking it behind Ultimaniac

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 16, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yeah I don't see it the way you do obviously and there's no point in arguing because I don't consider the combat tedious at all. It's great fun just needs to have more challenge like Ninja Gaiden for example.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 16, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I wish we had more than 6 ability slots, balance be damned because I like almost all of them. Just have separate cap for ultimates. 4 Eikons would still be pretty manageable.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The only thing I agree wih is that ultimates skew the gameplay balance bit too much because they damage they deal and one of them has practically infinite range. The regular skills are fine and when you got a solid setup, they flow really well together in various ways.

Luckily the ultimates aren't really necessary except maybe in Ultimaniac but that mode is so incredibly hard (with no checkpoints) that I've given up on it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nah Gav goes the entire game but in reverse order like Dante in DMC4

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Also you have to ask actual people for tips because it's impossible to Google anything.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

the_steve posted:

Can finally add myself to the list of people who beat the game.
Definitely having some feelings there at the ending, mainly a combination of Sad But Not Really Surprised, and confused at the post-credits scene. Well, just the one part of the post-credits scene.

Really wish there had been more of an epilogue, though I guess that what happened to the rest of the main cast wasn't really the point of the story.

That remains to be seen because they just announced 2 DLCs for the game without any specifics but those could be pretty substantial like the Yuffie dlc in FF7R

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The consensus seems to be that FF16 was alright but theres not much to talk about is there? It feels like it was made in a hurry so they could get it out before FF7R part 2. It didn't live up to the expectations set by FF7R part 1 either.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 7, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

For an action game (with little to no rpg stuff) the discussion died fairly quickly which was a bummer. People still talk about their favorite action games in other threads because the best ones are very replayable.

I hope the dlc improves Clive's moveset and also tweaks the Arcade mode.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I have also issues with how they implemented Arcade Mode. It takes 2 full playthroughs to unlock all levels on FF mode and Ultimaniac (I really don't feel like doing this because the story has a lot of filler but at the same time the game expects you to do a lot of the side stuff again to get the good NG+ gear, some of which can be used in Arcade Mode).

Also the difficulty in Ultimaniac mode in general feels pretty good but it has no checkpoints and this sucks the fun out of it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I dont want to know how much they spent on Cyberpunk and people still called it rushed for a good reason.

Just the framerate issues alone make me think they didnt have the time to optimize the engine I'm pretty sure they absolutely had to get the game out before 7R for some dumb reason

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 7, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The speedrun strat in DMC5 is spamming the hat weapon because its so OP.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yes they suprise dropped it without any warning

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Someone will probably beat me to it but I'll be playing it today

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

you need a save before the final battle with Ultima. Its in the PSN store description.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Based on the pricing (10 eur for the first dlc, 24,9 for the expansion pack and they are promoting that expansion pack includes both DLCs for a discounted price), the first dlc will probably be a short dungeon and boss fight type of deal and the main meat and bones will be in the second dlc.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

As long as you have your Game Cleared save you should be good. The game even warns you not to delete this save or save over it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yeah good accessories are going to be really helpful for Arcade Mode if you are into that thing. Sounds good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

gently caress that was a good boss. Also it was actually hard even on normal mode.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The dlc is cool and sorta makes up for the lack of a proper final dungeon.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

2nd dlc will probably have some OP poo poo thats balanced for Arcade Mode since that mode has preset stats but you can still equip accessories and eikons.

I never got around to starting FF / Ultimaniac arcade mode until after DLC so now Im trying to beat it before 2nd dlc.

I kinda hope they would introduce new difficulty for story mode though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The environment artists have been working overtime. The new area looks gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Reive posted:

God I can't wait to jump back in, been holding out until both of the announced dlc packs are out.

Out of curiosity how hard is final fantasy mode compared to a first run? Shame it's ng+ only

Fairly easy. Not much different from your first playthrough except enemies are higher level to match your endgame abilities

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 24, 2024