Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I was iffy about the combat style in this game until after I played about an hour or so of the FF7 Remake, which was enough to sell me on it 100%. Starting Octopath Traveler up right afterwards was enough to convince me that I am totally over menu combat with random encounters and I never want to see it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

The chocobo brains are the only part that’s an embellishment on how gross classic tanning was.

Brain tanning was a real thing. IIRC, it was commonly used by Native Americans to tan deer hides.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If the face movement was designed around English, then imo English is the main language and Japanese is the dub.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I got a PS5 primarily for FF16, and I've been having a lot of fun going through games from the comfort of my recliner and my TV. Playing a longass RPG like Persona 5 would have kinda sucked if I had to spend the entire playthrough sitting at my computer desk.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm a big fan of the actiony combat style in new FF games, honestly. It just feels so much more impactful. The big fights against Garuda wouldn't have felt nearly as good if, after all of that build up, we just squared up against each other and took turns hitting each other.

I never want to see it revert back to the menu-based combat. Difficulty wise, it feels a bit too easy but eh. Final Fantasy games have never been about difficult combat, and CBU3 is very big on the whole "you should never feel like you're too bad at video games to complete the story" thing. Easy first playthrough with unlockable harder modes is their thing.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Oh man Clive's uncle is way too positive a relationship for this game, he just showed up at my place and gave me thousands of gold without even asking. He's for sure gonna die in the next few hours :ohdear:

A talent is 10,000 gil. He gave you 20,000,000 gil.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The equipment complaints I've heard about this game have always struck me as a bit weird, because FF games have never had any kind of complicated itemization that I can remember. It's almost always just "newer sword has bigger numbers so you use it", with a few exceptions like "weapon damage depends on your health" and materia slots/AP-growth in FF7.

The vast majority of the time in FF games, I get a new weapon and it has better numbers and I equip it and sell the old one and that's all the thought it requires. Same with armors. FF7R probably has the most complicated itemization in an FF game that I can recall and even that largely broke down to a straightforward "this is the stabbing sword" and "this is the casting sword".

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The feeling I got was that Quentin was very specifically arranging things so that Clive wouldn't be there, because he didn't want to risk somebody either stealing his kill (legit worry with Clive) or getting all preachy and trying to talk him out of vengeance (probably not a real worry with Clive).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think it was more fitting that it was a fight between Clive and Barnabas, instead of being between Ifrit and Odin.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zeruel posted:

objectively, Titan has the best fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Also, you can probably count the amount of times Clive primes on your fingers without running out, because he only does it for eikon fights.