Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'll be playing in a commercial freezer. No overheating for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Some people had issues with that after having their ps5 repaired. Nearly everyone will have no risk of that issue.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

As someone who’s never played any FF but XV would you all be willing to share some of the lore about things in this game that are being carried forward, or are references, to things in prior games? I didn’t know Ifrit was from prior games. I also heard in passing there’s some guy like a shop owner or side character who appears in all the games like From Soft’s Patches? I love stuff like that and 100% can’t wait to play XVI.
The problem with this being the 16th mainline game of a 30 year old franchise means you basically have to read a manual to get all the references if you didn't spend your entire existence playing this series like some of us.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There is no question this game is going to review spectacularly. You'd hear from any number of not-reviewer people playing the game early trashing it if it was bad. Info like that cannot be hidden long.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I care the most about the music and it seems like the one thing with near universal praise.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm trying my damnedest to avoid spoilers so I'm popping in just to say that this early forest area is gorgeous. In fact the whole game is. But this forest is another level.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's a funny review comment considering the first few scenes right after the prologue concerning Clive's post-prologue condition.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In a way that's just harkening back to the FFs of yore where you just go to the weapon store and pick up your shiny new weapon.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oh jeez there's a photo mode? This game is incredibly photogenic...this is dangerous.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hhhhhuh. Interesting. Beginning to think the ability screen layout is a trick then.

Maybe we get the full suite after all?

If the leaked trophy list is accurate, you get everyone.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The first real boss kicked my rear end, twice. Mainly it's the dodging I'm still getting used to and I just ate hits the whole time. Even for bads like me the game is very lenient on restart. Fights are checkpointed and if you exhaust your potions the game will helpfully just give you more. I'm sure the higher difficulties change that but it's really nice for me.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'll post my thoughts in an hour after I watch that review but to me 'directly lifted from XIV' isn't a criticism because that game's quality is unreal. XVI was always going to wear that skin and I'm here for it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I did watch the whole video because generally speaking I like SkillUp. He does not recommend XVI for a lot of reasons that I think sum up to a betrayal of his expectations.

-Heavily skewed cutscene/gameplay ratio. He notes that this in of itself is not a criticism if there is an open post-game after the story to enjoy the systems, which this game lacks.
-No party members, both in combat and narratively.
-Puddle deep itemization.
-Heavy character action focus combined with a lack of more complex tactics like elemental resistance/vulnerability and character development strips the game of its RPGness.
-Lame sidequests with poor rewards.
-No real exploration of field areas.

For praise he loves the presentation, the music, the load times, and the combat on a broad level.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

He said it, not me. I do disagree with him.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah the itemization, while an actual criticism, isn't a bother to me. I'm getting enough of that playing Diablo I'll gladly take a game whose only consideration is straight attack up. Also every item in the game has a lengthy XIV-style description which I am eating up.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Also hey can the game borrow another thing from XIV and let me glamour swords over each other thanks

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The last thing I did in the game was the first real eikon fight and how cool it was is all I can think about this morning. Wish I were home to play more.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SkillUp meant it feels like a single player XIV, which it kinda does in everything but the gameplay. The tone, the pace, the cinematic direction, the sound, and the animations have strong echoes of it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I passed a point of no return a bit ago and I didn't expect the turn the plot took and this game rules. Incredibly bold of a Final Fantasy game to star a 33 year old protagonist and also stars a Cid.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The more I played the more SkillUp’s review just didn’t make any sense. Content creators are going to get a lot of content talking about the culture around the game rather than from it directly.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Got the 4th eikon set and this game continues to be great. I finally lasered in on what I think is my only criticism thus far is: the game zooms from plot point to plot point and doesn't give itself a lot of connectivity between them. The example that finally codified this for me was right around this point (4th eikon):

Kupka is razing Rosalith! Obviously he's trying to draw Clive out since it's an imperial backwater whose vicereine doesn't care about its wellbeing. Can't approach from the west-- they came in by sea themselves. Can't approach from the south-- they are blockading the only bridge. Gotta come from the north where Phoenix Gate used to be, through Stillwind where they aren't watching the blight. This is a cool attention to detail of the geopolitical machinations the game is going through great lengths to show. Except the very next scene Jill and Clive are already shown sneaking around Rosalith. Why go through the narrative effort of describing this dilemma if you aren't going to show it? This could *really* have used a travel montage or something.

This complaint borders on nothing because maybe this is a deliberate choice, but it definitely makes the world feel smaller.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Clive's out here looking like a boy scout with all the badges seals he's wearing on his person.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's funny when Jill sends Clive letters about hearing about his exploits, some of which she can be present for. Also just sending him letters about it instead of just talking to him.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can't get over how good this game looks.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You kids say the game is easy and I'm over here dying all the time! I went into the arcade mode to refight Garuda and got my rear end beat lmao

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Really effective psychological trick having your score tick down to 0 when you die in arcade mode.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The PS5 must do some wizardry with how it loads the game. It feels amazing to load an arcade stage basically instantaneously.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I still have a decade old tv so that might actually affect my perception of how the game looks. This game is driving me to spend an unreasonable amount of money on an OLED tv though...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The game does put a bunch of detail about branding and its implications in some midgame sidequests.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To be fair I'm eating up this political intrigue the game has going on. I actually look forward to updates from Vivian.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The whole game is extremely 14 in many ways. It's funny to catch something I recognize as a 14-ism.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Probably the most 14 thing of all is running errands for alliterative-named people like Competent Courtesan after just re-enacting the DBZ scene where Goku spirit bombs the poo poo out of Frieza.

I loved that in 14 and I love it here.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Business is slow at the Veil so its proprietress is having all the courtesans learn to read. One of them is complaining that the book is too big to hold for any length of time hahahaha

And they say the game ha no humor.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Are you a Dark Souls savant because I died countless times in DS1 and 2 and while I find XVI's difficulty comfortable it's miles easier than either of those.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That has to be a preference thing. I just finished that section myself and the groundedness of it is endearing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Broke: Perfect dodging with the berserker ring

Woke: Perfect blocking with Raging Fists

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Jesus christ this fifth eikon fight is some Platinum Final Boss poo poo and it rules.

11/10 game

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Suspend your disbeliefs my friends. Citizens of Valisthea dig scars.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's interesting to see what people in the setting tolerate from Bearers. There's an early side quest where Clive duels some soldiers in a garrison and they're not incredulous at the fact he can fight at all, but rather how good he is at it. Other characters don't pay much mind to Clive playing bodyguard as a cover either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I find the combat really satisfying (especially casting an eikon's signature move) but it really could have been elevated a cut above if the eikons changed more than your magic aspect when they are equipped. Changing the sword charge from burning strike to another element would have been incredibly rad.