Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

this means it's as good as cyberpunk 77 on launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

If you have the auto evade ring you also don't need the auto heal ring, no? Since you'll never take damage.

I don't think it's a huge issue since these acessoires are strictly better than the small bonuses you get from other items. If you have them equipped you don't need normal acessoires.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

triple sulk posted:

One of the biggest cons I've noticed so far with XVI is that there's no banter with your party in the open areas and they're kind of just there.

Yeah! This is the one thing that FF15 did better than FF16. The boy band just commented on everything you did and I miss that Jill and Cid never talk to you during sidequests.

That's about my only criticism though. I don't mind the reduced RPG elements since FF has always been very shallow when it comes to this (with the exception of FF5, but Square has released many games in FF5's style). Like, I played a bit of the original FF7 just a while ago and it was brain dead easy. Some people seem to have forgotten that Final Fantasy's unique selling point never was that it was "deep" but that it was the most bombastic RPG series with the greatest production values.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I love the counter abilities like Heatwave and Rooks Gambit. So fun if you manage to land them. The Heatwave upgrade seems really good too, since you do more waves - 2 normally and 4 on a counter!

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

It says in the description of the lightning rod that it does more damage if an enemy hits it. So I guess you're supposed to use it as another kind of counter.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Is there even going to be a DLC?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Almost Smart posted:

I’m no game designer/programmer, but I feel like the game should run a lot better than it does. It looks good, but not that good. It’s also nowhere near as expansive as something like Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or TotK, which both still run around 30fps despite everything else they’re pulling off.

It kind of reminds me of Stranger of Paradise and I wonder if the same inefficiencies that tanked the performance in that title are also at play here.

Digital Foundry believes that they use ray tracing for the shadows (which do look very good) so I imagine that takes a lot of rendering budget. I don't think it has anything to do with SoP since that was a different dev team and SoP looks like utter garbage, especially compared to FF16.

e: i should add that SoP owns and is one of my favorite games with Final Fantasy in it's name

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Frame rate mode was probably a late addition after they saw that it's a feature that games are supposed to have nowadays. I would likely not use it even if it ran better since the cutscenes are all at 30 fps and I'd find the constant switching between 30 and 60 to be jarring.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Maybe i'm the minority here but thank gently caress the itemization is so simple in this game. I'm tired of needlessly complex loot systems where you have to sift through piles of garbage.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

:same:

That's why that one IGN piece about them preferring God of War Ragnarok's systems baffled me. All the customizable bits in that game sucked and didn't do anything to enhance the overall experience.

lmbo really? God of War system is way worse because on the surface it seems more complex, but the number that accounts for almost all of your damage/armor is just (your gear level) - (the enemy's level). Everything else is fluff that barely matters until you get to specialized endgame builds. FF16 is at least up front about simply being "make number go up".

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Otto's quest :smith:

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I'm kind of annoyed that Gigaflare seems strictly better than Judgment Bolt for damage during stagger, the animation for Judgment Bolt is way better.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

SettingSun posted:

A fair bit. You're not that close to the end.

The whole game strikes me as very deliberately designed. Not a one thing strikes me as an obvious 'they cut this for time'. Even the gear, which to me feel more like a stylistic choice over anything else. A lot of games, especially RPGs, feel like they are held together by string and hope by the back third of the game at latest, and I didn't get that feeling here. It was refreshing!

Yeah it feels very deliberate. The level curve is also something that's tightly controlled. You can't even level higher than 50 on your 1st playthrough. Think they wanted to avoid giving you anything that would unintentionally trivialize the combat completely (besides the easy mode accessories), since it's already pretty easy. You can still do some insanly powerful Eikon ability combos but you have to actively work for that.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Re:ContinentI believe it's intentionally vague to leave room for a possible 16-2. That being said, what would make most sense to me is that Ultima created humanity on Valisthea and later (but still in the distant past, maybe even before the Fallen) they spread to the outer continent from there. Only Valisthea has magic and mothercrystals though (as far as we know), because it's naturally rich in aether and thus vital to Ultima's plan. What's happening on the continent isn't relevant to him.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah if you actually pay attention to the side quests instead of immediately writing them off because they're GREEN QUEST ICONS, there's a lot to like. Lot of good side characters and stories.

Not sure if people complain about it here but I know in other places people act like the game drops the bearer abolition stuff as the game goes on but if you do the side quests it absolutely does not.

It doesn't really do it in the main quest either if you think about it for 5 seconds. Free will against submission is the central conflict of the story. Every villain in this game is a kind of slave driver, they just get more and more extreme as the game goes on. I'm shocked but not surprised that no video game journo noticed this.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I love it because lasers are rad. The final eikon may deal more damage overall but has no lasers.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

The fact that it moves you away from the enemy can make it whiff more easily sometimes. I prefer raging fists since it moves you forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

You have a lot more enemy combos with healing/shielding enemies which can be annoying to deal with but still p easy overall.