Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah FFXII was absolutely the beginning of the clusterfuck. That game came out two years after it was supposed to.

My favorite FFXII production thing is that the plot synopsis they gave during the reveal has no resemblance to the actual finished storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ibblebibble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeqyEzK87z4

Try this, it's the youtube music upload.

Video not available

e: spotify track also down

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 9, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mordiceius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1-ENcur_14

Here's another one that is up for the moment.

Oof the quality makes this hard to listen to

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ytlaya posted:

If the demo is released tomorrow, I wonder what time it will be released. Hopefully at a time when I can actually play it before going to bed.

Zero chance it comes out before the end of the six hour stream imo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So it's gonna be out at midnight my time

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Spermando posted:

Rino is notoriously unreliable and his source doesn't specify what time the demo will be out, it's simply an ad they ran too early.

Yeah but it's also the most obvious answer. The demo's not going to be out before the stream is over. They want you to watch the stream.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ytlaya posted:

Just to make sure I wasn't missing something, the game is very strongly implying that Clive himself turned into Ifrit and killed his brother, right? Like there's stuff from the previews that seemingly contradicts that (namely Benedicta/Waloed having the "Dominant of Fire" in their custody), but I'm not sure how else to explain Clive collapsing instantly before Ifrit appears and somehow being present for Ifrit killing his brother - seen through a filter similar to Joshua's when he was Phoenix - plus the firy guy/hooded guy seemingly being someone who only Clive could see

Yeah but given he was straight up watching Ifrit kill Phoenix from a third person perspective there's definitely more to it than just the obvious.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
shoutouts to my man wade

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I’m upset about wade because I read his little blurb thing in the active lore guide and he’s just a dude who almost died from logs that got healed by Joshua and I want him to be in the whole game

the second any wood collapsed near him I was like "OH NO WADE LOOK OUT"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

bobjr posted:

With how much Clive’s mom hates him I was wondering if she was even his biological mom, or if he was an affair baby or something

Nah I think he's her son,. it's just that she's so wrapped up in the Rosarian noble bullshit that she cares nothing for Clive or Edwin and even only cares about Joshua so far as his existence means "everything is in its rightful place".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this combo video is making my brain expand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pStFbNH22S4

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Motto posted:

It's called a parry but personally I'd describe it as being able to clash and deflect with your own attacks rather than a dedicated parry move. I haven't played the eikonic challenge thing yet but I think one of titan's abilities is more like that.

Yeah Raging Fists has the same timing as the regular parry but while the regular parry gives you Bayonetta witch time Raging Fists is just one big frontal close-range AoE attack

Terper posted:

By the way there's a lot of additional information you can get on skills if you press Triangle when hovering over them in the Abilities menu

This is how I learned the actual way to use Garuda's wire is to wait till enemies are at partial stagger

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Argue posted:

Am I accidentally shifting between eikons without noticing, or does L2 not always cycle them in order? It feels to me like sometimes I find myself on Phoenix when I was expecting to switch to Titan, but it could be that I'm just not attentive enough

It's always in order so you must be missing out

I wish clive shouted things when he changed eikons more. He does it occasionally but not always.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the only summon not in promo material they've publicly commented on was Alexander and that was them saying they couldn't find a way to fit it in

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's definitely quips and one-liners after Cid shows up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There is explicitly an ancient fallen civilization called "The Fallen". You can see the ruins and robots in trailers and screenshots.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ytlaya posted:

From what we know so far, there are 7 Eikon "forms," each with 3 abilities* (btw if you didn't notice, each Eikon in the Eikonic challenge has another ability you can unlock and assign/use).

There might be more, but I wouldn't count on it since the UI seems to only have space for that many. But that's still a lot.

* not counting the circle ability, like Phoenix dash or Titan block

There's four abilities minimum. Each Eikon gets a ability that's the summon's iconic attack as a hard-hitting high cooldown ability. You can see them in the launch stream battle demo. In said demo you can also see Phoenix has like six abilities (Rising Flame, Scarlet Cyclone, and Heatwave from the demo, Flames of Rebirth as the super, and then 'Ignition' and 'Will-o-the-Wykes' after those) so the same might be true for the others as well.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 15, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah the Ironblood seem like a fantasy version of any given mutant genocide group that fights the X-Men so you're probably going to murder them en masse and not be expected to feel too bad about it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The dodge rings have a flaw in that they only seem to trigger if something is like immediately about to wack you with a normal attack and not on abilities

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I said come in! posted:

No pre-load yet?

Tuesday at midnight.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Or Leon Kennedy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ytlaya posted:

IIRC preload is 2 days before release, so later tonight?

Midnight, yes

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kingtheninja posted:

Anything specific I should focus my AP on? I've just picked up Garuda and haven't really spent them on the more specific stuff.

golden rule of character action is always buy the cheap base stuff first

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The side quests are very Nier in that most of them are annoying wastes of time but every once in a while you come across an absolute banger like the two outside of Moore

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
ughhh why is the ost not until july I want to just listen to a certain boss theme over and over again

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"the game doesn't make you engage with the combat" is also true of DMC. It's totally possible to beat those games just constantly swinging your basic combo at everything - hell there's a reason that stinger spam is a meme: it's incredibly easy and effective. It's possible to beat high tier enemies by doing nothing but Stingering at them over ad over. The way those games make you engage with the combat system is rewarding you with the feeling of pulling off cool poo poo.

FFXVI is easy (and I definitely did not game over to a certain boss about ten hours in no sir not me) that I agree with, but if the buttons feel good to hit (they do) and you can do cool poo poo (you can) then that doesn't really matter to me so much.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dpulex posted:

lol the combat in DMC was never this braindead except for DMC2

My point was that any DMC does not require full mastery of its combat system or even like anything beyond a basic understanding of it to be completed as long as you're good enough at basic pattern recognition to avoid boss attacks. That wasn't a hypothetical in my last post; I have literally seen people just basic combo/stinger/maybe Million Stab their way through those games on default difficulties.

You don't have to engage with most of DMC's systems just like you don't have to engage with FFXVI's, but the point is engaging lets you do cool satisfying stuff and that's the real reward.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

doomisland posted:

Anytime I have to fight an Eikon its so boring Zzzzzzz

I think the third one is really cool idk

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Okay seriously who the gently caress is Skillup this is like the third time I've heard him come up and people act like his opinion some how has more merit than any other reviewer's

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

triple sulk posted:

You honestly get way too little XP for the random mobs with stagger bars, it's not worth bothering with them at all.

AP is more important than XP

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Books On Tape posted:

I agree and I love games like Last of Us but this is final fantasy. The more I think of it, the less I feel like its the linearity that bugs me. The RPG elements of this game are so watered down. I'm supposed to have a party to level/improve. There shouldn't be scaled level enemies. There's supposed to be a more innovative skill system than just gain AP points/spend AP points. This is the series that gave us materia and the sphere grid, and now all of that good stuff has been reduced down to basic poo poo. The story is excellent and the combat feels good and I'm playing for that but I disagree with anyone who says this actually feels like Final Fantasy.

Your perception of what makes a Final Fantasy does not match my perception of what makes a Final Fantasy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Books On Tape posted:

True. I'm old and grew up with 4-7.

So did I. But that Final Fantasy feel has never ever been about mechanics, it's always been about vibes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Okay got the fourth Eikon, need ability advice because I'm dropping Ramuh because I think the kit kinda sucks except for Judgement Bolt, so I need a new single target nuke to replace that. Any suggestions? Flames of Rebirth maybe? And yes I know I could just master it but I don't have anything I want to give up for it and that's a shitload of AP

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Just did the third fight you do as Ifrit

Goddrat

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I was kind of worried that (late mid-game boss spoiler? it was in trailers) Titan Lost was going to be the peak of escalation so everything after would feel underwhelming

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
y'all Gigaflare is so good

I'm killing some enemies in one stagger, getting 60k+ in at a time if I manage to pull off the full set up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

My personal limit break rankings:
(No spoilers but attack names)

Gigaflare
Diamond Dust
Zantetsuken Rank 5
Dancing Sword (only once you have the double-upgraded accessory that increases the amount you get)
Judgment Bolt
Earthen Fury
Flames of Rebirth
Aerial Blast. Aerial Blast would be better than FoR if its visual effects didn't block so much of the screen after it is used
Dancing Sword (without the accessory)

Where do you get that accessory? Side quest, hunt, or patron's whispers?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

triple sulk posted:

That was the most absurd boss battle I have ever witnessed in my many years of playing video games

it says a lot about this game that my immediate question is "which one"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I dunno there are a few bosses in this game that will absolutely gently caress you up while I can think of like...two bosses in the original KH I would call hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
People who have Bahamut (I don't think "you get bahamut" has to be spoiled right?) and use it, what did you put in the non-Gigaflare slot?