Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

triple sulk posted:

9 on both IGN

Whoa it might be better than Hogwarts Legacy??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

That at least I can understand since there is stuff that is consigned largely to the ATL stuff. I thought it was neat but I'm sure it will annoy some people.

Is there an indicator when ATL has been updated or do I have to keep pausing to see if a new popup is there

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It is very good and as a long time Final Fantasy XIV enjoyer I was delighted to spot leitmotifs from it.

Oh hell yeah

ImpAtom posted:

It generally updates by scene but you can review it at your base.

That said there are two cases where it spoiled something in advance for me. One was revealing the name of a major villain long before they appeared and another was revealing a character death before it happened. (Though in the latter case it wasn't a huge surprise.)

Good to know; appreciated!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Mainwaring posted:

It's 4:30am in the UK and I just woke up because it's too hot and sweaty. I should probably try to get back to sleep but I know that ff16 is installed and ready for me..

Ifrit is calling

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I agree for the most part but it's kind of immersion breaking when said overheard conversations repeat every ten or so seconds if you happen to be running back and forth

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

There are also a ton of people who got 16 that also wouldn't be interested at all in 14, an MMO.

So far the standout for me is the story/characters/voice acting, everything else is mid for me but I think the bad performance plays a big role there. Tried doing Quality and everything pretty much looked the same but even more sluggish and jittery

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Absolutely play FFXIV, the game is free for the first like 100+ hours.

I regret wasting my trial period, I wanted to level fisher past 60 and I wasn't even at level 40MSQ. Could have milked at least 200 hours from it easily since I didn't focus solely on msq.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

pezzie posted:

They didn't even stop making games like those. They just stopped naming them Final Fantasy. Go play Octopath Traveler 2 (I haven't played this yet I should take my own advice)

It's easily my GOTY, such a beautiful, lively fantasy world especially for a game of its style. Thinking about doing another run after I get through XVI.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Skeezy posted:

XVI kinda makes up for Tales of Arise for me. I get a Tales vibe from this and I’m loving with it.

If you're into Tales games I'd recommend Ys8 or 9, they scratched an itch I also felt from Arise. Much less grand than XVI of course, but they're action heavy games with an emphasis on exploration.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Had the same 'problem' recently too but I think it only vanishes in non combat zones

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

How do I go about finding these Hunt quests? I've done all the green sidequests and I'm at the first? point of no return, haven't seen any indicators for them. Or are they not a thing before said point?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Not available just yet, and even then you'll only get a handful to start with but they eventually blow wide open.

Ah, I don't mind that, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Thank you, though!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

I am very tempted to go find a farming spot and slam a bunch of AP down my gullet so I can finally liberate Judgement Bolt from Ramuh’s otherwise unimpressive moveset.

The final 5500 to master is taunting me

Lightning rod is great with will o the wykes and gouge on staggered enemies

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

BTW, Clive's change in appearance as he gets older is very silly. His hair just gets bigger! And he looks like someone deliberately dressing sexy for a costume party or something.

See when I got to that point my first thought was "now THIS is an ff protag"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Arist posted:

Speaking of the third Eikon, I switched in Lightning Rod out of curiosity, not super impressed by the description, and :popeye:

Mix it with will o the wykes and gouge on a downed enemy for hilariously fast stagger multiplier buildup

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Are there any notable spots for grinding AP in mid-game?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Just do sidequests. Some of the renown rewards are huge chunks of AP

So just keep my path up, nice to know. Thanks.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Spoilers for scene where you get your fourth eikon set

I'm glad someone clipped this because I heard Patrick Star and it's just so drat funny to me

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/633523896565497876/1122999364651069511/SPOILER_SPOILER_188f45395d755-master_playlist.mp4

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

I don't know why, but I can't stop myself from giggling when I see his hands bounce up an inch every time he slams the ground.

Hahaha I didn't pay attention to that before and now I'm in the same boat

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a way to see your game time? I noticed the save file just shows what time it was when you saved and I can't find play time in the menu.

Home screen, it should be on the middle right next to your total progress for each game.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Wow I didn't know such a short amount of displayed games/services was possible. Or is that just the only game you've played on it?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

Is the girl party member going to get a personality, agency, development, anything like that by the end?

I understand she's meant to be stoic but it stands out to me, and there's quite a number of times in cutscenes where the convo turns to her and it's like one word or a grunt. Not to mention at some point she's bound to get even less when Clive inevitably gets Shiva powers.

I'd love to be wrong of course

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Phenotype posted:

If you mash the jump button as you walk around town, it looks like Clive is skipping everywhere like an old-timey little schoolgirl.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who likes to do this.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Just finished the fifth eikon fight...holy poo poo, they just keep one-upping themselves there, huh? That conversation between Clive and his mother leading up to it was so raw, too!

E: Oh my, I spoke too soon...! This really is a loving mecha

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 28, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Megasabin posted:

2. Did anyone else notice that something was very wrong with the animations for Clive's Mother during the Twinsides scenes? When she became upset and flailed her arms or swung wildly with the sword, it looked so bizarre. Like the animation was moving twice as fast as everyone else. I guess they ran out of time and she mostly just sits the rest of the game.

Yeah at some point it zoomed out during her speech and she looked like she was moving 120fps or something lmao

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Macaluso posted:

So how exactly does Gouge work? Sometimes I can only get up to 30 but sometimes I can get up to like 55. Is it based on the enemy? Am I not hitting the buttons right? It's one of my favorite moves but after all this time I still don't really understand how it fully works

You just keep tapping its button to get the full use, unless I'm missing something it's worked fine for me that way every time.

E: Oh, that's what they meant.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

100%.

Oxxidation posted:

Garuda is utility over style and eventually I got strong enough to sacrifice the former for the latter

I dropped her for the fifth eikon and I don't regret it at all

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Namnesor posted:

Discovering the true value of Lightning Rod on a staggered enemy is when this game went from an A to an A+.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

The spoiler thread is fully unmarked spoilers and thus only for people who’ve finished the game. Here is marked spoilers.

They are referring to unmarked spoilers itt.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

what "tons of [unmarked] spoilers" are on this page

I was thinking about stuff regarding Jill from last page or so, and it wasnt a ton then either. I was wrong.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Macaluso posted:

What's up with the way this game tracks your completion? Mine says 91% but a friend of mine who is absolutely ahead of where I am says 84% (for reference I haven't gotten the last Eikon power yet and she has). We've both done all the green quests as well

I've seen the cutscene you referenced a few posts back about 30 mins ago in game and mine's showing 80%.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Last fight at Reverie dungeon I love how Clive and Barnabas are just talking at normal volume while being hundreds of feet apart, especially when one of them is just monolouging for most of it

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Doing chronoliths I found you can also use Satellite to fire off magic while you're channeling the feat too.

Remember that you have a taunt and you can charge up pretty easily once you have a handle on it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

No, Charon is the shopkeeper.

lmao

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

- Chests: Useless about 95% of the time, but rarely contain music tracks (that you can play in the hub area) or equipment

I'd count those as useless because the hideaway music is already great but that's just my taste

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

bewilderment posted:

I also failed the Garuda Chronolith at the first hurdle when I decided to go exploring and do it when I found it at the earliest opportunity. Does having a better sword help? I was at the final trial, lost because I had the enemy at 30% health when time ended.

You'll wanna focus on getting the deadly embrace > 4 hit combo time bonus, farming those early is your best bet.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Bland posted:

Looks like we're gonna need a tiebreaker here folks

The answer is yes

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Arist posted:

Man, I was really not feeling the last eikon until I swapped out the default skills and only equipped its ult. Feel much better about it now.

You can use it on a Lightning Rod to start its whole process if you're fighting something that's really zippy.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

You can punish, use a charged slash and repeat indefinitely if it's a smaller enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

gav is great but the best line in the game comes from another side character. late-game spoilers:

"They will fall, like oak before the woodsman's axe. GOOD THING I BROUGHT ONE!" :black101:

I do love that one, though my vote goes to (final fight) The only fantasy is yours, and we shall be its final witness! because it's corny in the best possible way