Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hellioning posted:

The advantage of me not having a PS5 means that I cannot actually listen to the part of my brain that tells me to day one purchase all Final Fantasy games and now I can actually obtain more information to see if I like it before it comes out on PC or I get a PS5.

i would simply day one purchase all final fantasy games

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RatHat posted:

I bet it's a lot less intimate than people are expecting, like it's just two dudes kissing with their shirts off or something.

It’s gonna be the gay version of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8e5Ej4uyto

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

YoshiP said he was gonna move AAA ARPGs forward. What’s the one thing that those games all lack? That’s right, full penetration.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

really enjoyed a lot of the music i've heard so far but this is a bit heavy on bombast, it's just noise after a while

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, seems like I didn't miss much sense it just repeats (for the most part).

I kind of agree with what the other poster said, though I'd describe it as being a bit too "busy."

its a really lovely heavily compressed upload

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ibblebibble posted:

People wanna gently caress be dragons.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

roomtone posted:

i haven't really been taken in by the combat/monster lore heavy advertising for this, and the lack of a proper party, but it occurred to me that really there hasn't been a 'proper' final fantasy at this point since 10, maybe 12 counts (i like it), but man it's been a long time. over 20 years. you'd think at some point they'd realise they'd strayed too far and make one which gets back to the core of the experience people loved, like what capcom did when they started their recent remakes and back to basics before building up again, but square just doesn't really work like that. they're always experimenting in different directions, there's no real core identity or feel to final fantasy beyond mainstream japanese.

i'm not really saying that positively or negatively it's just like - what even is final fantasy, anyway.

final fantasy is about vibes

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m gonna sink so much time into arcade mode, the combat feels amazing

hope the lack of HUD options is just a demo thing tho.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 12, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DrakePegasus posted:

It’s been a good month for laughably, unapologetically evil moms in Final Fantasy.

:hai:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

this combo video is making my brain expand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pStFbNH22S4

Gonna need to do a lot of experimenting with Torgal because wow I definitely underestimated him

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Overbite posted:

Not a fan of the eikon battle at the end of the demo, felt like something out of Star Wars Rebel Assault or another FMV shooty game. Move the cursor around the screen and press a button while a video plays in the background (i know its real time, shush). Not the most thrilling gameplay.

Haven't done the bonus battle stuff yet but I'm hoping the combat later on is more involved.

Also I hate game of thrones so that's a big strike against this, but oh well I'm a Final Fantasy mark so I'm gonna play it anyway.

you will enjoy the eikonic challenge part of the demo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many archaisms are we gonna hear like in FF14... anyone going to be "in their cups"

there needs to be at least one boss that kills you if you don’t know what “larboard” means

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Final Fantasy and Elden Soulsborne have always taken heavily from popular western fantasy, game of thrones is popular western fantasy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when you get into buttons having different functions depending on the context, that’s when rebinding starts to become really complicated. immortals fenyx rising was one case where on paper you could bind whatever you want to whatever else you want but in practice it was a massive pain in the rear end to use anything other than the default bindings because of how many different actions would be assigned to a single button, it was almost impossible to find a set-up without any conflicts

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dodge being on the shoulder button is Objectively Correct tho

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dpulex posted:

Hopefully something happens to knock him down a few pegs

this literally happens in the demo that you played

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mainwaring posted:

Remember folks, if number bigger then game better. And the most important thing when big number is to lord it over game with smaller number.

which is why XVI will be the best FF, because it has the biggest number

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I know FF Mode remixes enemy placement but does it change anything about the boss fights?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Agents are GO! posted:

Look if people wanted to access every bit of game content then they should've not been disabled. Git gud n00bs, respect the designers artistic vision to exclude people. Disabled folks aren't really people anyway. :smuggo:

excuse me sir are you lost

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the settings in general are pretty barebones which is pretty weird. The lack of HUD options is particularly surprising, you’d think that’d be a no-brainer for a game that looks this good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that review comment of “Clive has to slowly realize slavery is bad” is weird to me because I’m only a few hours in and the whole thing seems pretty clear-cut already?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bell_ posted:

I'm playing this out of obligation,

there’s your problem

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The game does feel kinda bare outside of the main story tbqh, there’s never much to do besides just marching along to the next objective marker. the story and combat and presentation are all excellent so far tho and I’m having a great time.

I would probably want FF17 to return to a more ensemble cast but I’m cool with Clive’s Wild Ride

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Captain Oblivious posted:

Who on earth cares if the layouts are mixed up? That’s no reason to gate it behind beating the game first and if DMC and Bayonetta do the same then great, sounds dumb there too.

the lower difficulties gradually introduce stronger enemies over time so you can learn how each one works. The higher difficulty can throw strong enemies at you right out the gate because they know you’ve already learned how to fight them

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

So is skillup right that this is basically an single player MMO

no

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dpulex posted:

Other reviewers have this same problem. You all are getting really defensive about people not liking a video game

did those other reviewers also hallucinate a “Clive needs to be convinced that slavery is wrong” arc that didn’t actually exist or was the polygon review special about that

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s funny that Clive has godlike magical powers but can’t jump more than an inch off the ground

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

use your goddamn knees, idiot!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i do wish the eikon you were using changed more about your spell than the color of the fireball but the combat is still amazing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I got past the point of no return, game loving rules

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

game reviewers do not understand subtext and often only barely understand actual text

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Paul Zuvella posted:

Even when games have similarly bad sidequests they usually have you going through interesting or varied combat encounters, or going to parts of a level or map that you had not been to before. In other rpgs a lot of these world building things would just be scripted, in world events. Here’s a great example:

I get to Moore, there is a side quest that basically just exists to show me how loving racist these people are with a little girl who treats branded like pets. Instead of just having a scripted event when I walk up to the city where a little girl is extremely unphased by her branded being turned into a pebble, the game makes me click through dialogue, accept a quest that adds 10 seconds for me to prioritize it for no reason, walk 50 feet and then get another cutscene where the above happens.

Why did this need to be a side quest? The rewards are all useless, I’m already swimming in cash and experience doesn’t matter. Why put the pretense that these are anything but frivolous worldbuilding.

A bunch of quests i the hideaway are just excuses to make to talk to NPCs for some worldbuilding. These don’t need to be fed to anyone as sidequests. The players who are interested in talking to NPCs for worldbuilding are already going to be doing that

can you name some of these RPGs where sidequests aren't used for world building

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

triple sulk posted:

Why the hell Torgal doesn't just continuously and ruthlessly attack unless you spam the up button is a horrific design decision and I'm getting to the point where I should just equip the drat accessory because there is no reason you should have to keep hitting that on top of managing everything else you're doing

don't mash the up button, he does more damage if you time the button press to coincide with a combo fisher or eikon ability

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

What options are there for doing air combos?

The only ones that I've found are the charged sword jump attack (this is the one I use all the time) and I guess the Garuda Circle attack against large/boss enemies (I guess there's also the actual Garuda skill that sends you up, but I'm ignore cooldown skills here).

I haven't figured out a way to take advantage of the Torgal launch, though. Just normal-jumping and attacking with Clive doesn't seem to work well and is very difficult to time with Torgal's launch.

Another Torgal-related question - Would it be a decent combo idea to do something like Clive charged sword launch -> attack a couple times -> Torgal down attack (while enemy is still in the air) -> Clive slamming the ground attack?

These are good starters early on for enemies that can be juggled:

Torgal Ravage -> Phoenix Shift
Charged Sword -> Torgal Sic -> Phoenix Shift
Jump -> Deadly Embrace

you can also launch them using charged magic (and it gets you a score bonus called "charged lift") but I'm not sure how to trigger it consistently yet

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 25, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just got the 4th Eikon, the boss fight to get it was crazy fun.
gently caress yeah at Clive cutting off both Hugo’s hands with one swing
gently caress yeah at Torgal powering up
gently caress yeah at Jill murdering that one dude
I must now perfect guard everything forever, such is my lot in life

Game loving owns

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Son of Rodney posted:

It's just various amounts of button mashing to me, and while I realize there's a level of depth to it I feel like it's not worth the effort.

quote:

Which would be fine if enemies and especially bosses didn't turn into sponges which need way longer than they need to.
Hmm…

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Raging Fists is the most fun ability ever

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The game's pretty easy but I've eaten a few deaths to hunts since I've been going after them as soon as they're available.
You could probably get a decent challenge without waiting for New Game+ just by stripping off Clive's armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Harrow posted:

If they added the precision dodge/counter mechanic to FF7 Rebirth that'd be the perfect FF combat system for me

They won't, but still

FF7 Remake did have some stuff like Cloud's Punisher Mode having a counter on startup and Yuffie's Brumal Form but yeah I doubt there's gonna be any sort of universal perfect dodge mechanic. FF7R is pretty set on being a hybrid system so you're often supposed to mitigate damage rather than avoid it entirely