Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

So ready to air juggle monsters with my cool dog while sick tunes from Soken play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I can imagine Yoshi-P is thrilled to have been able to work on something that's not XIV.

But even beyond that you can tell they really put love into this one.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I got lucky and snagged a PS5 a few years ago during The Scalper Apocalypse. It's a rad as hell console, would recommend.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

There's gonna be a 2nd set that has Replicant tracks but yeah no Drakengard in the pipeline I don't think.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Yeah the article headline is clickbait, even inside the article the most they say is "leaks say there's intimate moments involving a gay character". While my old, jaded, gay heart would love to see a gay sex scene in a Square title I highly doubt that it's gonna be that much.

Regardless good on them refusing to censor whatever it is. Sucks for our FF fans in that part of the world though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/jackal27/status/1654248499817398273

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm digging the bleak, dank vibes. I wanna go explore the Southeast where the whole area sounds like a Post-Apoc Lovecraft Coast.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I've had a PS5 for years y'all are behind. :v:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Doublehex posted:

Honestly, I though XIII-2 was one of the weakest Final Fantasy scores. 80% of it was forgettable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uncwKFZflS0

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

Welp. Got to that first point of no return.

Went from there all the way to when you unlock Hideaway 2 and I am emotionally drained and exhausted. It wasn't a long play session, but it was a good one.

I've been enjoying tackling this game in like 3 hour chunks. Really savoring everything.

I'm at basically the same point, bit further ahead.

I'm astounded at how, somehow, (Major Character Spoilers) Joshua has rocketed up to being a top favorite character. I don't know what the gently caress he's up to but goddamn he got badass over the timeskip, never would've figured he'd become so cool based on how he was as a kid/in all the marketing.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm on the other side here where I can tolerate the FPS jumping around more than the godawful motion blur smear of trying to move my camera in graphics mode.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Slimy Hog posted:

Sorry to drege up a sorta old post, but I thought of this when Cid calls the situation with the mothercrystals An Inconvenient Truth

Also I loved the dumb joke when Cid referenced a nick name of his Cid the Vicious

It took me longer because I'm dense. It hit me in the head during the scene with Cid at the brothel before the crystal raid where they talk about how the people in power don't care about damning the world as long as they get what they want.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

triple sulk posted:

please for the love of the founder i'm so tired of these interim bullshit padding quests, just let me get back to the eikon battles

Eat your vegetables Clive.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

Got a question about Clive's brand. I'm past "disc one" so to speak in (the first point of no return). The game shows that people are born branded. Clive gets branded sometime during the first time skip. I'm at the second time skip where he's unbranded himself and some other bearers somehow. Is it explained how he gets branded? Do we see how he figures out how to unbrand himself or does that get explained? Dunno how those scars in the shape of a brand fool people.

If my questions are answered within the story later on, then I'll be happy with knowing the game tells me later.

You're conflating two different terms.

People are born Bearers. This means they can cast magic without being near a great crystal or having a crystal shard on hand. Being Branded is what it means to have the tattoo. Once it's figured out that people are Bearers they get branded like cattle and treated as sub-human.

Clive would've been branded when he was taken prisoner. He's not actually a Bearer because he wasn't born with the innate ability to cast magic, that was all given to him by the Blessing of the Phoenix. Of course to people out of the know about that they'd just conclude he was a Bearer.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Regarding Jill & 2nd Crystal Stuff

Honestly even if she does nothing the rest of the game that whole section was rad as hell. Loved seeing Jill get mad and unhinged. The hint of unrestrained crazy in her voice when she says "Oh... we destroyed it." was very good. Always love a good unhinged girl boss moment.

Also love that she tells Clive her plan to murder an rear end in a top hat and there's not a single speech about how vengeance isn't the way or that she shouldn't have to bloody her hands to move on or some bullshit. Clive is just ride or die for her and says "you got this babe I'll hold your flower".

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Well holy drat everything involving Twinsides & the 5th Eikon was loving wild as hell.

The bros fusing and having a Super Saiyan fight with Bahamut in Space was balls to the wall nonsense in the best loving way imaginable goddamn. And then Dion chucks a spear at a fake child for the 2nd time in one day. Watching Annabella's entire world just crumble to dust was immensely satisfying and I couldn't feel the slightest bit sorry for her even as she slit her own throat. Good riddance World's Worst Mom.

And then to wrap all that up all I can say about the scene afterwards involving Barnabas is:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Also regarding that villain:

Annabella is the exact kind of rear end in a top hat that would sneer at suicide victims and call them "undignified wretches" for taking such an action. So her watching everything she'd been doing for the past 18 years just instantly evaporate in front of her and then take that exact way out is a pretty good way to wrap up her entire character arc. She did unspeakably heinous things, it was all for nothing, and history will move on and she'll be lucky if she even ends up as a footnote in the history books. She got what she earned.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

In hindsight, even if it probably wasn't much of a twist Clive still having the Blessing of the Phoenix 13 years later is a good hint that hey maybe the Phoenix isn't dead.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Hey look buddy you might be one-hundred percent correct but you're still outta line. :v:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I think I saw people way back say E6 felt weak but I've been loving it a lot. Maybe one of my top favorites.

Diamond Dust just loving nuclear strikes stagger gauges. Ice Age is decent damage for it's low cooldown and works well as something I don't feel bad using outside of staggers. And of course the circle dodge is rad and you can really abuse even the short mini-freezes from it. I might also just be biased though because Jill is rad and Shiva is rad and ice powers are rad and it's just kind of all playing exactly to my likes.

Current Loadout:

Garuda - Lightning Rod/Ignition
Shiva - Ice Age/Diamond Dust
Titan - Windup/Upheaval

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I always find it fascinating how people seem to memory hole how FFX was literally just a giant long hallway with like one big open area breaking it up.

I say this as someone who loves FFX!

It's a giant hallway.

I do not comprehend how you can call XVI more linear when it actually gives you open areas to run around and lets you explore around the world *much* earlier than FFX ever does. I won't argue against the fact that XVI doesn't really have much going on for exploring out of your way like yeah it's bits of 2 gil and random monster parts and poo poo it's whatever but it's still a drat sight more open than FFX.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The legacy of the sidequests have shaped our history for long enough.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Mid's ship questing was what everyone was bitching about?

Really?

....I must just have some otherworldly tolerance for this sort of thing because it didn't bother me in the slightest. I realize I am an outlier though lol.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Yeah Hugo went out of his way to murder tons of innocent bystanders just to get at one man with absolutely zero remorse for doing so.

Clive reacting to his sob story with essentially "So what? gently caress off" is the correct way to respond to him.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Semi-Relatedly, a detail about the whole "why do they have Benedicta holding this fort": Clive asks why they'd even go through the effort to capture a fort they have absolutely no chance of keeping and Cid mentions it must be one of Barnabas' complex secret plans. This doesn't ever get mentioned again but thinking back on it after later plot Barnabas was absolutely just throwing Benedicta to the wolf. Ultima wants Clive to Mega Man all the other eikons and realize his true potential as a vessel and Barnabas was only ever serving Ultima in the end. The extra benefit of using her head to incite Kupka into a rage spiral was just like icing on the cake.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Well I finished the game.

I will never emotionally recover from this.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

runaway dog posted:

don't feel bad, I can't even watch a friend play the msq without occasionally getting misty eyed after beating it.

I was already crying through the ending but as soon as they started showing Torgal realizing Clive is gone I just loving lost it. Anything involving dogs just gets me immediately everytime.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Nan'll have your heads.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Some of us like big giant softy himbos. Also give the guy a break he was raised by abusive parents.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'll be the hipster and say I still found Shiva to be my favorite and best eikon.

The freeze dodge, especially when upgraded, can just really give you loads of free damage & stagger and in the biggest surprise in an FF game very few things are immune to it (and when they are it's usually just during specific attacks). Even the final boss is susceptible to getting frozen in place. Add on top that Diamond Dust just absolutely deletes will gauges. The ice orb is also fantastic once you get used to the fixed distance cast, great for parking on top of a staggered enemy similar to Lightning Rod. loving love Shiva.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Harrow posted:

What was everyone's favorite endgame loadout? Mine was:

Shiva - Lightning Rod, Diamond Dust
Odin - Rift Slip, Dancing Blade
Bahamut - Impulse, Gigaflare

If you want to try again (it's worth it), here's the trick: use Dancing Blade. Don't bother with the Arm of Darkness special mode if you're not feeling it, you don't need it. Dancing Blade alone will fill your meter really quickly, and it's the key to doing absolute shitloads of damage.

The golden combo is to put down a Lightning Rod next to an enemy who's either frozen or staggered, then use Dancing Blade, and by the end of the animation (which freezes time while it's happening), you'll have a full meter and can let loose a ton of damage.

Not needed to beat the game at all but it's worth learning because god drat is it cool.

Garuda - Lightning Rod, Ignition
Shiva - Ice Age, Diamond Dust
Odin - Gungnir, Dancing Steel

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

You can even Permafrost the final boss it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Y'all are mid.