Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

only about 5 hours into the game so far.
liking it. I totally skipped out on FF15 because I didn't get the vibe at all and the combat system bored me to tears and gave up on it very early.

This one is still pretty different in terms of final fantasy, but the presentation is very digestible, and I'm a bit more invested in finding out the world and lore. Everything feels very cinematic and epic in a fun way.

Only complaint is that the main characters designs all seem very bland, they look like they all got run thru a Create-a--Character engine rather than someone actually designing them specifically. Other than benedickta, who has a perfect bitch face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

just me, or does this game feel souls-like in the way it handles exploration and finding loot

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Paul Zuvella posted:

How on earth did you come to this conclusion.

maybe not exploration, just the going thru areas.
only a few hours in and going thru a castle. the layout just reminds me of Demon Souls a bit. and how all these random glowing bits of items on a few ledges.

also....are there no real party members in this?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

in other FF, you would have to equip things. here, it seems you just get all of them automatically for free with the eikons.

didn't expect this game to be a Persona game

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

as much as the gear in Tales games was more trouble than it was worth, spicing accessories effects onto eachother would have been neat

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

lol, so for a while, I thought Benedicka was actually the same person as Anabella, because they both had the same karen haircut.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

they both were kind of acting the same, and also thirsty. and sounded the same.
was like oh, when Clive didn't really react to her. and took some time to read thru the lore entries a bit.

i dunno, could still be a twist later on

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

They need to add item slots for my dog

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

they should have just made at least the main characters more distinctive than generic 'Create-A-Character' european fantasy character designs.
is CId from FF or The Witcher
Maybe its on purpose so the eikon forms is that much more mystical

Jill is fine.
Can we get Clive some blue hair.

Managed to get 2nd set of abilities
Enjoying the new wind abilities.
Was like wow, this benedicka is really mean, but really interested to see how her character develops, hope she doesn't stay dead.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

how old is Cid suppose to be that he keeps saying he's an old man. He doesn't look that much older than Clive

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Jill seems fine now, but she will skyrocket once she cuts her hair short again, hopefully.

Game does a good job of caring about what's going to happen.
Got to the cutscene there a random Mom gives up her baby because it turned out it was a bearer. Ice Cold.
Cid using a crystal now to light his smokes.
Still a bit iffy on how many nations are actually present.
There's the barbaric ironbloods, the holy empire, and I think there's a republic or something?
I thought the branded was at least like a magic seal on the person to keep them a slave, but its just a regular brand I guess.

Shame that there's no real party members. Like Jill is hanging around, but I barely pay attention to her or Cid in battles.
Also wish there was a better way to separate events and chapters when trying to talk about it. Since there's a new title every 10 minutes, so you can't actually try to say anything without vaguely spoiling it before the actual spoiler to describe what you wanna mention about

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Even for 8, there was a crafting aspect to them, and finding the recipe books to craft them to unlock limit breaks

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

at first i thought the regular battle music was weak, but then it gets to that nice little tune 20secs in. reminds me of the best part of the FF13's battle bgm when it hits that high note

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

does the dog going to get any character development soon

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

On way to first mothercrystal
Isn't Jill suppose to be with me? Weird that she's absent from the scene when Isabella was flirting with me a little.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i need to be more aware of parries, dodging/counter just seems to easy that I forget about the other one. I just end up accidentally doing it when spamming attack and almost get hit

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

is this a pokemon game, these people keep giving me gym badges as proof i'm to be trusted

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

enjoying a bunch of the sidequests, even if most of them give like 15exp pts and useless gil.
the variety gives some really nice color to the world and the npcs living in it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

1st Crystal
noooo, RIP Cid. Also, is every party member of Clive going to get killed in this game?!
*gasp* the hooden figure in Joshua. Nice to see he's not a chickenwuss now.
And wow, another time skip.
I have to play with the lightning powers more, but man, for lightning it feels really slow and sluggish. Gonna take getting used to juggling the 3 abilities.

I know many said it already, but man are the equips boring. Like not even like 'fire sword strengthens fire skills' or 'storm sword strengthens wind' 'sword increases movement speed or something for variety. bleed? are there even DoT skills in this game?

its just oh fire sword just deals regular damage, the wind sword too, and oh your dad's sword? you replace it right away from the shop that's +5 more atk

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Is this the most mature FF ever, with the body count and sexual implications

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

This is the first game on PS5 that I gotten an overheating alert and it turned off.
Happened twice so far, and the thing is in open space.

Anyway, got to finishing the 2nd Mothercrystal.
Found my bread and butter atm with combining the Balls of Fire aura around me + ball of lighting. It just freaking melts the stagger on elites and bosses.
Hunts is kind of annoying, they're fun, but looks like I can't even check Hunt info while moving around, I just have to memorize the details on the board.

man, for a minor mob character, the line reading from The Medicine Girl was so well done. Potions, ect

Thought it was neat that she passed by Jill, and shows up again interacting with Joshua, having the same villagers showing up in two different situations like that really helps keep the world alive. If it turns out she's the real evil god, or at least a wandering one, it be something.

So Surprised that Wade survived. At first I was like "oh its you..sorry that I just killed like 10 of your guys" But afterwards, they were still around and mentioned that you spared them.

Jill was quite the monster there during the fight. Clive once again fails to call upon Ifrit when he wants to. Is this game an allegory for impotence?
Dying at how Clive and Jill's romantic moments keep getting blocked XD.

drat, Anabitcha is really evil. Sad that Benedikta is actually dead? :( Wanted her to join my group.

After meeting Wade, got a tutorial prompt about Party Members.....err feels like this was left in by mistake under a build when you actually have party members.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the dodging is actually kind of a challenge once you take off the baby ring

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

how do you actually get the multiplier up, just use different moves?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

just met Mid
my god. sorry Jill. New best girl is here.

pretty sweet fight before

Hugo fight was awesome. Of course as with a new eikon, not sure how to add it to my mix. Feels weird since before I would just spam whatever, dodge with rook, but earth seems very wait for the attack and counter. and hold moves.
and good dog just became a gooder dog. Gav does so much background stuff in this game, why is he so drat talented.

I kind of feel bad for Hugo, I can see why he's so angry at Clive, maybe if things were different, they could have been friends. Brutal when his hands got lopped off.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Was there some kind of convergence about slavery stories for jrpgs. All the latest installments of the various bigger tiles were similar.
Tales, Xenoblade 3, and this are all slavery themed

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

lol, the desert area part is funny

This crazy Uncle Byron just having fun when the everyone else is suffering, because he's flithy rich.
The part in the inn, where he just stuffs the food in his mouth and jumps behind the counter was some Scooby-Doo stuff. And him paying the inn lady for the damages lol. And him bribing the crystal thief with a pearl worth 500k gold to find out the location.

Joshua upstairs just makes more entertaining. Love his assistant. Wonder how much easier everything would be if he wasn't so secretive and just joined up with Clive and told him everything.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well actually I loved every sidequest and want to kiss them all on the lips

i love the sidequests, but feel they were put in more organically than an obvious the game telling you to take a break.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the rings are for journalists

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i have no idea how much i have left, which I think its a good thing for pacing?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I love this Medicine girl, someone buy something from her already!
Barnabas looks a lot like Clive's father. Harbard has a very punchable face
Finished Drake's Fang

man, Dion's father is such a dick. I want to know more about Joshua's attendant.
Poor Hugo, I feel Clive is a bit too hard on him. Sure, he killed some of your guys, you killed some of his. Call it even.
Crazy fight, so many stages. May he and Benedicka find eachother in the next life.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

did the first part of Mid's ship, I think some were talking about it a few pages back.
It wasn't that bad, but I can see why some might say it sucks
the good part is choosing who can go with you for the small errands. Got to spend some rare time with Tarja
The bad is running to the other side and back to tell someone something. Why don't you bunch go and tell them yourselves?! You all live in the same area. Its not like you need permission for everything. Each of you have your own agenda and self run business.
Especially you, you blacksmith. Charon is right next door, tell her yourself if you wanna to look closer at some of her products.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Wonder what people’s take are on this where it’s there 1st final fantasy game

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i do miss needing to have actual inventory management and MP, and there actually being a squeeze spending too long in a cave or dungeon. and having real treasure chests and equipment

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

wish you could preview the music tracks before you buy them to know if its the cool ones

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Goetz's voice lines are atrocious. an outlier in an otherwise pretty competent voiced game.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Bahamut done

Pretty fun encounter. Not sure what I liked more, Titan or Bahamut.
God, Annabella is such a bitch. But the way she went out was brutal.... Rather that a giant rock fell on her instead.
So was that kid ever actually real? Since it just vanished into dust, and Ultima just illusioned there tricking Anna and the King that there was actually a kid there?
Poor Dion, like Hugo, he was just manipulated hard into this big scheme.
Ultima's reason to what whatever he's doing is pretty basic as far as humanity hating entities go.

Nice for Joshua and Clive to meet again for real. Though, I did not expect Joshua to do Dock into Ifrit and have both fly together.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

what does the japanese say in place of all the fucks

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

If it’s one thing video game journalists can’t understand, it’s eastern video game story writing

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

don't think i'm a fan of Bahamut's abilities, not into long charge moves. i rather just throw one huge thick thunderbolt.
also lol Clive sure loves accidentally almost killing Wade's men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i'm kind of been using the wisp of fire shield thing as a major clutch.
seems to absorb a good amt of damage and during that time, seems to give me hyper armor from minor hits so i don't get interrupted while spamming