Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Please be good! Final Fantasy single player mainline games have not been good since FFXII, and that released in 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Terper posted:

Final Fantasy XVI is a full-on action RPG, with combat that can be compared to Dragon's Dogma or Devil May Cry. You play as Clive, and only Clive–other characters join your party and fight by your side, but you cannot control their actions or equipment. The only exception is Torgal, who you give actions to and can combo with, as seen in the above video.

This part makes me sad. Final Fantasy has been getting further and further away from having a cast of characters that work together to save the world. I want a new FF game that has a diverse cast of people with their own stories and goals, working together against an epic world ending enemy. That is what Final Fantasy is about to me, it's a core identity of the franchise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Terper posted:

It has that (they've said). You just don't control them.

I guess it'll depend on how many characters are in your party, and if they come and go from the story.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Convince me not to buy a PS5 for this

Buy a PlayStation 5 for this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tekne posted:

The game is absurdly beautiful, and I'm equally excited to hear the themes Sokken has composed for these areas as I am to explore them.
https://twitter.com/finalfantasyxvi/status/1639705413930168322

New combat footage including unseen Eikon fights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vle0gxTYY1g

Jesus there went any doubts I had about this game. Please be June 22nd already?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

Gosh dang I am sorely tempted to spend almost $600 so I can play this dumb game

do it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A goon sold me a PlayStation 5 on launch day of the system.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help! My balls! they are gone!!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Man it feels good to be genuinely hyped for a new FF.

Yeah! I feel really good about this one. Square has been learning and perfecting their real time combat systems. If we had only FF15 to go off of, I would be very concerned. But everything else they put out since then, and the Devil May Cry 5 combat designer being on this, makes this feel like a sure thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That 20 minute presentation was a lot, and every single bit of it was positive and awesome.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if the dog is going to smoke a blunt

Edit: The dog will die because he went into battle high. An anti-drug cautionary tale.

The dog in Tales of Vesperia, smokes weed for the entire game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PS5 on launch day haver. :getin:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Will there be a public demo we can play on PS5?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tekne posted:

They did announce a demo that is the first part of the game with transferrable save data. No clue on when it's dropping, but maybe it will be during the big LA event a few weeks before release.

Thank you, I was wondering if I actually hallucinated that. I hope its this Wednesday.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol I am sure there are people who have legitimate reasons for being uncomfortable with sex scenes in video games (or any media for that matter), but that person is likely not one of them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yep called it, a Christian weirdo. I can guarantee they spend the rest of their time supporting anti-trans laws, and going to Trump rallies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What do they mean by soul of a PS2 game? Is anyone at Polygon even old enough to have played PS2 games?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Something i'm not seeing people bring up, but the preview builds that game press got to play had frame rate issues. These will hopefully be fixed for launch. In performance mode though it tries to target 60fps, but really struggles to get there, it dips really hard according to Easy Allies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm just sort of use to it at this point, bad performance on current gen consoles seems to be standard for whatever reason. And then its gotten to the point where PC ports of AAA games are never worth buying anymore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Like June 8th or something, around that time where we get the demo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

I am annoyed that my company arranged a teambuilding event on the 24th so half my weekend is gone to that.

It’s mandatory for continued employment? Or you’ll at least be punished for not attending? Cause gently caress that. I am taking a day off work to play FFXVI, possibly more if I haven’t finished the story yet, but FF games are not really that long unless it’s FF14.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tekne posted:

This is a soulless grimdark FF and I'm cancelling my pre-order.

We are getting so close.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/SOKENsquareenix/status/1667035412936953857

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Wheres the freakin demo

This Sunday.... hopefully.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gologle posted:

The demo will release after the official game launch then

By after you mean after the official launch of.... Final Fantasy 18.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

gently caress this game is going to own so hard

It really does seem like its going to be amazing. So excited.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Even when FF7 released, there were things about the SNES games that were better. I like the expressions that were possible in the sprites of the 16-bit games. You couldn’t do that in the PS1 games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

roomtone posted:

i haven't really been taken in by the combat/monster lore heavy advertising for this, and the lack of a proper party, but it occurred to me that really there hasn't been a 'proper' final fantasy at this point since 10, maybe 12 counts (i like it), but man it's been a long time. over 20 years. you'd think at some point they'd realise they'd strayed too far and make one which gets back to the core of the experience people loved, like what capcom did when they started their recent remakes and back to basics before building up again, but square just doesn't really work like that. they're always experimenting in different directions, there's no real core identity or feel to final fantasy beyond mainstream japanese.

i'm not really saying that positively or negatively it's just like - what even is final fantasy, anyway.

I’ve made my peace with the fact that Final Fantasy has drastically changed directions since the PS3 era and isnt coming back. I would love a return to the series going back to parties and multiple characters joining you through most of the game, but it just isnt going to happen anymore. Xenoblade Chronicles is the game series youre looking for.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am happy about the return to standard fantasy setting of the earliest FF games, but I hope for FF17, they go back to the more strange setting again. FF10 is my favorite as well. Both for setting, and characters. Now will FF16 have characters that I love as much as I do in FF10, remains to be seen. I am leaning towards no, but I am positive I’m still going to love FF16 either way for its own merits.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JBP posted:

I haven't pre-ordered the game because there doesn't seem to be any benefit. I'll probably preorder it for preload later.

Yeah, waiting for pre-load to be available.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The FF16 demo is available now with the purchase of PlayStation Magazine and comes on this months demo disc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I forgot that since this is releasing based on US Eastern time in America, I’ll be able to play at 9pm on the 21st.

gently caress playing a demo. 10 days remain.

The demo will be the intro to the game, and you carry over that progress to the full game. This is perfect in my opinion. I don't think I would really be that excited for the demo if it was just a small slice somewhere later in the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jesus gently caress can today get any better as a gamer?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Demo launches tomorrow.

at 1am! I have work tomorrow, release it tonight. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://na.store.square-enix-games.com/final-fantasy-xvi-plush---torgal-puppy

Get your Torgal puppy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay finished both parts of the demo this morning, and gently caress me, this game goes really hard and I love every single second of it. Absolutely brilliant and perfect.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Argue posted:

There's a lot less motion blur if you change the graphics mode to framerate-focused from graphics-focused, so that's both of your complaints addressed!

Would prefer to just disable motion blur altogether, but yes this appears to be correct. Its reduced.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Skeletome posted:

The motion blur's still there and the framerate's still inconsistent on the framerate focused mode ):

Yeah the inconsistent frame rate in performance mode is a big bummer. Hoping future patches will be able to optimize the game further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The good mom to evil mom ratio in final fantasy is actually pretty even isnt it? Trying to think of which moms there are. Aerith had a good mom, and Hope had a tough mom. Garnet had evil mom, and now we have Clive. Am I missing anyone though?