Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Biggs and Wedge are a reference to Star Wars

Actually, I was surprised that the soldiers you fought with in the tutorial mission weren’t named Biggs & Wedge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I can’t wait to see the sad sack who is the dominant of Fat Chocobo

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ytlaya posted:

Wrong. George Lucas (who sees further than any of us) was making a reference to the Final Fantasy series.

George Lucas is a Time Lord

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

My first playthrough was 55 hours for an "All marks and sidequests" playthrough.

After spending like 200 hours on Tears of the Kingdom, this is welcome news lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

jokes posted:

Clive’s Crappy Life is a succinct way to describe this game

RIP Thomas Hardy you woulda loved FINAL FANTASY XVI

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m sure this has been pointed out several times but the icon above the health bar of the Notorious Marks is the Rogue Tomato from FFXII and that loving owns. Amazing little detail.

Edit: I didn’t notice until now that it’s the hunt board icon too. Game owns.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 5, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What’s the point of the arcade mode boss refights, anyway? Do you get anything for doing them?

I have two complaints about this game so far (I just finished Drake’s Breath). First, I keep getting a million crafting components but there’s nothing to craft! I kept getting new recipes early on and then got nothing for a long time. I did the blacksmith quest so eventually I can make some good stuff but for now it’s a very slow trickle. Why not let me craft accessories or something??

Second, regular big enemy fights (including Notorious Marks) have an invisible boundary which, if crossed, cause the fight to end and the enemy to walk slowly back to their spawn point and get all their hp back. This has happened to me in the middle of fights a few times and it’s infuriating. Either mark the boundary or lock me into the battle, but don’t let me accidentally run away! This is especially stupid because a lot of enemies have attacks that move them a long distance. It might also be triggered by getting too far away from the enemy? Either way, it’s a bad choice for enemies with attacks that move them all over the map.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bewilderment posted:

If you're gonna chat about the ending maybe do it in the spoiler thread so this one doesn't turn into endless pages of black bars.

Though while we're comparing FFs, I've been working through Stranger of Paradise and now I want that kind of action combat in FF16's more open environments. Go play SoP, people, other than its tedious loot system it's pretty good!

It’s extremely good, the combat and class system is awesome and it doesn’t pretend to be something it isn’t. It leans into the ridiculousness.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The trash mobs are very timid and mostly easy to kill in flashy ways, human enemies can be annoying in large numbers but that’s mostly because finding and locking onto the magic-user so you can kill them first is annoying. Big enemies and bosses are decently fun in that you have to get good at dodging/blocking and then go to town on them when they’re staggered. But you have to force yourself to try new things because there isn’t really anything so difficult that you need specific loadouts. I assume this changes on hard which I would probably enjoy more. Maybe they should have had hard be an option from the beginning?

The big flashy boss battles and kaiju Eikon battles are great fun because they’re so ridiculous.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It wouldn’t be the internet if there weren’t a person stating their opinion as fact, let’s be real

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 17, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m having a tough time with the Darkness trial because I don’t really understand Odin’s abilities. I get that the attacks are weak because you’re supposed to build up to using Zantetsuken, is that all there is to it? It’s the only trial I have left and I’d like to finish it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

While you have your sword out Odin gets a big boost to his Zantetsuken for parrying and a smaller one for narrow dodge/counters. You want to be using that whenever your abilities are on cooldown. Rift makes it easier to time parries if you're having trouble.

I managed to do it after a few more tries. It was annoying.

I also beat the game. I enjoyed it a lot! I understand some of the complaints about the combat but I didn’t find it boring, since I tried to switch things up and use different abilities. The story, characters and voice acting were good. I did all the side quests and appreciated the world building in some of them. They took the time to give complete story arcs to some of the smaller characters which was nice!

I ended up running with:

Phoenix with Ignition and Flames of Rebirth
Bahamut with Satellite and Gigflare
Garuda with Windup and Impulse

I liked Bahamut’s moves a lot, Satellite and Impulse shred the stagger gauge and Gigaflare does ridiculous damage to staggered enemies. I could also use Deadly Embrace on stunned bosses then immediately punch them directly in the face with Windup. I had fun with it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jolo posted:

I just got the third Eikon set of powers and am kinda bored with this. I'm not even halfway done am I? I'm having fun some of the time but not enough that I wanna spend another 20 or more hours on it.

The slow trickle of abilities can make the game drag on for sure. You’re at the point where things are going to pick up and the middle third of the game is probably the best part. The next two Eikon fights are awesome and the story flows along smoothly. I liked the plot and characters a lot. If the next section doesn’t grab you it probably isn’t worth continuing.

It helps if you get good at killing trash mobs and mini-boss enemies as quickly as possible. You don’t have a ton of abilities yet but you get some awesome ones pretty soon.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I booted this game back up since the DLC is coming out and I finished FFVII Rebirth. For the trophy for beating a boss without taking damage, is it just a boss you fight at Clive? Like if I redo Eye of the Tempest does it only count Clive vs Garuda and not Ifrit vs Garuda?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat Echoes of the Fallen. I forgot how fun this game can be. I know some people frowned upon the simplicity of the combat but they give you so many tools that you can use to feel like a total badass. I’m feeling inspired to go back and beat it on Final Fantasy mode after I do The Rising Tide

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mysidia is neat, it’s nice to be in an area that isn’t a swamp and has actual sun. Leviathan’s Megaman Arm Cannon owns.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I don’t understand the trophy for killing multiple frozen enemies simultaneously. I used Diamond Dust which froze like seven enemies and the second part of the attack killed at least three of them at once and didn’t get the trophy. Trophy is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Arist posted:

Pretty sure they have to be frozen by Cold Snap.

The description of the trophy literally says diamond dust is an option