Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm thinking of stopping the legacy of the crystals from shaping our history for any longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

(whole game jill context) Jill's weird, I guess they felt like it wasn't final fantasy without some kind of love interest component but it suffers for really not being that big of a focus of the story. I'm sure people will compare it unfavorably to eg ff10, maybe that's fair and maybe it's not, I dunno.

I guess I'd say, ff16's story is already massively overstuffed with just everything imaginable, something had to give in terms of what gets foregrounded and you feel that in a lot of places

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Jill's sidequest later where you basically just follow them on a date.

I mean the entire premise of that sidequest is straight up "Jill's depressed because she no longer has any agency or particular relevance to the action." You can argue whether the quest mitigates that successfully, but it's telling even the game itself acknowledges it's an issue

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'd say FF15's story is basically broken to the extent it doesn't even really rise to the level of being worth criticizing. Lots of criticisms you could level at it are fair but you're kind of criticizing a dumpster fire.

FF16's story has lotsa problems but people at least find it worth engaging with on that level

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bland posted:

I'm usually the last person to go off on one about representation because frankly it's not particularly my lane, but Jill is just a weak character in general even before dealing with the fact that she's supposed to be the female lead. Despite being the "party member" you spend by far the most time with, she rarely actually adds anything to scenes where she's present, and often the game seems to entirely forget she's even present at all.

(general game spoilers) Separate from how she's written in main story cutscenes, I think the way they structured the game in terms of party members constantly joining and leaving really hurt in this respect. Jill can be present for like almost all the side content post timeskip, but isn't guaranteed to be, so they had to write everything around her maybe not being there. She rarely gets like one or two lines commenting but it's a band aid. I feel like it would have been simpler to implement, better for the character, and not really even change that much else if she just permanently joined in the open world and could be actually written into the sidequests

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

My favorite story arc so far was the Holy Empire family. That was some really compelling poo poo, and had me most glued to the screen.

Tbh I don't care that much about (halfway point spoilers) Ultima. Their motivations just seem kinda silly and I feel my interest waning whenever they're on screen.

I'm sure this will be a common take and it's one I share. The story really pivots around bahamut in a lot of ways and I don't know if any of those ways are particularly good

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

(more whole game ruminating) I guess I feel like ultimately they sacrificed quite a lot of other more interesting directions in order to do the obligatory final fantasy killing god climax.

Just feels like their hearts weren't really in it, the earlier game of thrones esque stuff had more passion yet feels incomplete because it's all effectively dropped once odin and ultima hijack the story

Caidin posted:

Does the Empires Bearer Suicide Squads ever even come up again at any point past the intro?

Maybe it gets mentioned once or twice? But I think the honest answer is no

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ralph skillup's not that popular on this site at the best of times so he's not going to get much benefit of the doubt from your average poster. I think he had some fair criticisms, I don't think anyone can deny some of the more obvious flaws (gear) but reasonable people can differ on the weight of those problems.

Certainly considering how he weighs them it takes some real gymnastics to explain why he likes FF14 so much though

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

JBP posted:

Do you get anything for doing combat trials?

They each give you damage up accessories for the corresponding eikon's ultimate :stoked:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Much like the whole game, a little bit of editing down would have gone a long way to improve that fight. The substance is okay, it just repeats too much

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jillchat There's a giant crystal thing you can see to the north from the northern coast of sanbreque that never comes up in the game. I feel like that plus whatever the deal is with leviathan plus some backstory about jill and the north is a pretty likely thing to do in DLC. Not that it's much of a defense of how the base game handled it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

e: disregard, I got confused about what is included in each edition

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 27, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

More whole game context general jillchat I liked the suggestion someone had earlier that the dynamic where jill was pretending to be clive's owner pre-timeskip was interesting and maybe could/should have just been extended post-timeskip. Maybe I missed something but really it's kind of strange that to my memory no rear end in a top hat bigot people post timeskip call out clive for being a branded/runaway branded considering the giant obvious scar where his brand was

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean FF16 also drops to 720p in framerate mode which I do find a bit embarrassing for them

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Klungar posted:

As far as the realm is concerned, being Branded is permanent and cannot be reversed under any circumstance. The ink has some sort of poison embedded in it that is supposed to kill the Bearer if it is attempted to be removed, and even with whatever removal technique Tarja has, still nearly half of the people who go through the process to remove the Brand die. That's why only Cursebreakers go through the removal process, because they are already dedicated to going out into the world and risking their lives in combat. For everyone else it isn't worth the risk.

I understand all that, but really no one in the whole extremely bigoted world would think twice about someone with a giant scar on their face that is exactly where a brand would be? I guess I just find it a bit lazy from a writing POV

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I went for graphics mode after hating performance mode in the demo. The motion blur is awful yes but if I can help it I'm not playing anything in 720p unless it's on the switch

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Spermando posted:

83% completion question I'm heading for the last Mother Crystal, in Ash. It looks very final dungeon-y. Should I wrap up any sidequests now or is there more after this?

That isn't the point of no return

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Vitamean posted:

I've cleaned up all the side quests before what sounds like the last dungeon so I think it's safe to say this now: I think the most disappointing thing I've come across is that the game presents you with a blighted area on the way to phoenix gate, and you can even see that you can't use magic or charge attacks inside it, but then you never get any combat encounters with that limitation active in the story

I find that area is pretty sus for DLC/cut content/dare I hope some kind of secret considering it also has the mystery door that clive comments on but never opens

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Vitamean posted:

It's not like it has to be an entire dungeon, but it's weird that you see it and then don't have even a single encounter in a blighted area. I think those kinds of scenarios where you get briefly depowered are interesting, even if they're kind of shocking.

Learning that you don't even open the door there leads me to believe that the devs are lying about not being sure about DLC, because just lmao to leave that in the game otherwise.

What irks me is you also go through other supposedly blighted areas, namely southern waloed, and still have your powers so it's not even consistent.

And yeah I think they were lying about DLC for sure, even if it's just like a battle arena or superboss or something behind that door

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The "do something extremely mundane for a while so we can deliver backdoor exposition/make it feel like time is passing in the story/create more prominent peaks and valleys of emotion" thing is definitely the storytelling trick that feels most directly copied over from ff14. Truly blatantly so

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Midgame-ish spoilers? I feel like the part where you're helping mid with the engine was the most ff14 part of the game. Like helping someone solve some fantasy science/engineering problem and getting some minor gewgaws that would assist them is so profoundly ff14 and felt borderline copy pasted, to the extent I would bet money that the person who wrote that also wrote similar stuff in ff14

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I moderately like the game overall but I feel it has a bit of a scratch it and the paint comes off quality. I feel like for most people the less you think about it the more you'll enjoy it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I might have a lot of criticisms, but I will second or third or whatever I found this game much, much superior to god of war ragnarok

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Say what you will about clive but he improves everyone's material conditions with his signature policy of a himbo for every errand

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Vitamean posted:

this game's a pretty bad victim of FF14's msq design, except there it was so that they could spread out exp to get you to the new level cap but here it just feels like it's padding for the sake of being able to post "50 hour playtime!" somewhere. I think it's good to have downtime between set pieces but in this game part of that downtime is spending two or three hours in every new town which gets old after a while.

I think my main problem with the setup is that you pick up pretty quickly that exploration is discouraged. Every point of interest on the map will be the target of either a sidequest or a hunt eventually, and all getting there early will get you is a treasure chest with a handful of low tier crafting materials. I think the only time this wasn't the case were the watchtowers in Sanbreque, and even then all that really is are a couple waves of knights and a chest with, again, three blackblood and fifteen gil.

Some endgame quest talk the most interesting quests were the ones that took you to Balmung Dark and Mikkelburg - the former because it felt like a minidungeon ending in a boss fight and the latter just because the village was its own set piece for the quest. I don't think every side quest needed to be like this, but having some more of these spread out through the game would've helped alleviate a lot of the tedium. Balmung Dark was actually exciting because even if it was only a couple hallways it felt like a quest that could only occur here, and not some abandoned desert town or open field like the overwhelming majority of them.

I mostly agree, though I will say spending 2 or 3 hours in most towns is probably an overestimate. Granted, for good or for ill it definitely *feels* like it takes that long.

re endgame quest talk I felt pretty bad for whoever designed mikkelburg because the quest automatically teleported me away from it at the end. I would have taken a minute to appreciate the cool cultist town you made just for this dumb quest if you let me game :argh:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like what makes ff16 relatively unique compared to its contemporaries is just how low key some of the downtime activities are. Like most games have peaks and valleys in their pacing, but rarely to the level of the level of some of the unbelievably mundane chores clive does in certain sidequests. Of course it's partly the ff14 DNA coming through and that's probably the main other example.

Likely everyone will have their own favorite most boring thing clive does in the downtime content, for whatever reason the one that sticks in my mind is the sidequest where you tell the guys to go have a glass of wine at the bar

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I do feel like my enjoyment of the game would have been increased had there been some "here are the good sidequests" list available I could follow and skip the laughable ones.

Amusingly such lists do exist for FF14

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it's telling that most suggestions for improving jill seem to basically involve promoting her to a for real actual party member. Turns out there are various storytelling advantages to doing that over having the party constantly, constantly fluctuate

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess I just feel like, FF7R also had some really quite dull premise sidequests but they were elevated a lot by getting to hang out with the party, and the party's reactions felt very tightly integrated into them. Being able to write the quests knowing they'll be there makes a huge difference. Like so many sidequests in ff16 *can* be done with jill, joshua, and maybe even some of the randos who briefly join, but clive might also be alone, so they can never integrate any of them into the quests. I feel like that's the fundamental sin of the sidequests writing wise, even doing boring poo poo would be improved a lot if you could hang out with your friends a bit in the process

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Failboattootoot posted:

I just did a sidequest up around Tabor I think and was very surprised to hear Joshua comment on a sidequest I was doing. Just 1 quick throwaway line that I don't even remember but it happened. So far also the only time.

It's very rare but yeah it does happen, with jill also. Obviously it's the tiniest bandaid on the problem imaginable but I guess at least they tried something

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess my main clive criticism that isn't diving deep into endgame spoilers is he doen't really feel hosed up enough for his backstory (jill also). This game should have been to mom issues what ff10 was to dad issues

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

FF15 is hot trash, but I respect that it had a few minigames and I really felt the absence of minigames in this. Fishing especially, I can see the fish near the docks game let me :henget: them

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Post Twinside thoughts:

Man I am not feeling Barnabas and Ultima as end game antagonists. They really needed to participate in the early game in more relevant ways than looming in the shadows and going "will he win the fight? He did ohoho just as planned". After Twinside it really feels like all the plot threads and antagonists that matter or are of any interest have now been accounted for. Myeh.

I pretty much agree and I think in the long run that'll be the big common criticism of the story. Twinside is a very big pivot for the story and everything after it is much, much less interesting. I get that they wanted to make a "real final fantasy" and that means fighting god, but there are so many more interesting ways they could have gone, and it's not even a great execution of that concept anyway

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Which is silly in and of itself, because lol do you suppose the guys with the massive scar on their face in the exact same spot as the brand would be might be fugitive brandeds? Nah hasn't ever come up.

I guess the idea is that all the bigots are so ensconced in the prison of *sniff* ideology that they can't even fathom that possibility. That said I find that very dumb and it's mostly a highly lazy story contrivance

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mulva posted:

Like what is so baffling to people about "People don't expect this thing that is considered literally impossible to actually happen"?

I mean given how fanatically huge amounts of people in the setting persecute branded, I think loads of insane bigots would look at the scar where a brand would be and think it's makeup slathered over the brand or something like that. If that happened like even once I would probably be satisfied.

Without that it feels way too much like a contrivance just so that they didn't have to write the entire post timeskip with everyone treating clive like garbage like they did the pre

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Non-specific general rambling on the scar topic I think I get a little hung up on the scar issue because it just doesn't really seem to improve anything about the story IMO. It makes it so clive can be treated like a generic sword guy by randos, but why is that desirable? The story would probably be better if they committed to clive being branded and that being irreversible. He would need his friends to continue to intercede for him with normal people, giving them some chances to actually interact with the side content, etc. etc.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you're doing the side content, in a real pinch I think you could just bail on it and just do the main story and that probably cuts the length of the game in half or so. You'd miss a bit of good stuff but not really all that much honestly

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

SettingSun posted:

I bought a fancy new oled tv just in time for (after 5th eikon) the villain to cast an ugly purple filter over the entire world.

I think they were really proud of how the thing where the sun periodically shines through a little more brightly looks. Admittedly that effect sometimes looks nice. But yeah probably not so much that the world should look like poo poo for a large amount of the game

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You can probably limit it to ones given by your party members and/or major story characters and not have too bad a miss rate.

But honestly if you've reached the just want the game to be over point I don't think they're going to change that feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Deeply savoring the quest to tell some random townsfolk to go have a glass of wine, as though it were a glass of wine I was drinking