Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jetrauben posted:

I will say (second mothercrystal spoilers) Jill neither being playable during the Iron Kingdoms digression or getting the starring moment to actually destroy the Mothercrystal and instead collapsing due to exhaustion after having spent all her energies protecting you... is certainly a CHOICE, and not one I'm a fan of. When Joshua gets a little playable segment as a kid, you'd think they could have given Jill her own playable mini-sequence for her to resolve her own issues.

:agreed: I was honestly surprised that it didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megasabin posted:

2. Did anyone else notice that something was very wrong with the animations for (5th eikon) Clive's Mother during the Twinsides scenes? When she became upset and flailed her arms or swung wildly with the sword, it looked so bizarre. Like the animation was moving twice as fast as everyone else. I guess they ran out of time and she mostly just sits the rest of the game.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. It was pretty wtf

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JackDarko posted:

I died a bunch trying to precision dodge poo poo at 30fps. Became less of an issue at 60fps.

Combat is always locked to 60fps :ssh:

Xalidur posted:

I wouldn't say deaths are the only challenge factor either. In FF16 to deal 25% of a boss' HP bar you need to do multiple magic burst combos, manage your Eikon power CDs so they're all usable during the stagger window, etc. In Dark Souls to deal 25% of a boss' HP you hit R1 a few times. Fights are just much shorter in general.

That goes both ways. Nothing in 16 is killing you in a hit or two either.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JackDarko posted:

I just checked and you’re absolutely right. That’s so strange. Thank you for clarifying this.

I wonder what feels different to me about frame-rate. I’m on an LG OLED with VRR on FWIW.

No idea. VRR turns off when you dip below 48 fps, but I don't think that the dips in combat are that bad.

Harrow posted:

Not in graphics mode. Graphics mode is a locked 30 the whole time; frame rate mode is a locked 60 during combat.

Are you sure? iirc the DF article said that graphics mode is 30 whereas performance tries to stay at 60 fps, but struggles. Both modes jump to 60fps as soon as you start a fight.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

Yeah, the DF video shows combat scenarios running at 30 FPS in graphics mode. Performance mode does struggle outside of combat and jump right to 60 FPS in combat, though.

One thing they brought up is that frame rate mode drops the internal resolution to 720p at times to maintain 60 fps during combat, something graphics mode doesn't do. They pointed out that if you look closely you can see how blurry things get in frame rate mode during combat (though honestly I don't know who has time to look that closely during fights in this if they aren't specifically testing performance for a video and article).

You can see it at this timestamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oyjldkh5kE&t=1664s

Ah, my bad. I guess I didn't remember correctly. Thanks for clearing that up.

JackDarko posted:

I died a bunch trying to precision dodge poo poo at 30fps. Became less of an issue at 60fps.

Turns out I was wrong and framerate mode did help you dodge better

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ibblebibble posted:

loving finally someone mentions Leviathan, but the only detail is that he's lost. Not even an ATL entry! Man I wanna know more about what the water snake got up to and why he's missing.

I need dlc for fishing with Leviathan. HOW DID THIS GAME NOT HAVE FISHING?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thundarr posted:

I'm clearly missing something with (5th ekion ability) Megaflare. It takes forever to charge up, I can't do anything but dodge while it's charging, and it seems to just do some crummy AoE damage that doesn't outweigh the casting time even a little. Also somebody upthread mentioned level 4 Megaflare but for me it caps out at level 2. Does Mastering it make that much of a difference? I was hoping this would be better than Ramuh's ability but I'm just not feeling it.

On top of what everyone else said: you use it for even more damage during a stagger. Firing off a full charge and then staggering an enemy will give you a great damage boost.

Also you can press triangle when looking at abilities to see what the upgrades do.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I finished the game too and think it's a solid 8, the lack of proper 60fps or even 40fps mode is the only major negative for me. The story and gameplay were both terrific. The boss set pieces have set the benchmark that god of war previously did. Ludicrous, over the top fun.

I still think annabelle was the true villain of the tale, to such an extent I felt she took the easy way out, and her death gave no catharsis at all. I can't remember disliking an antagonist so much

Count me as another person that was extremely disappointed with how that spoilered plot was resolved. Just completely unsatisfying.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

What would you have liked to happen?

Arrested and executed for their crimes. :colbert:

Or just life in prison so they can live with the knowledge that everything they tried to accomplish has failed.

Or literally any other ending besides what we got.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

psychoJ posted:

alright, just got (late game spoiler)Shiva. is she worth replacing Ifrit/Titan/Bahamut or should i just keep my loadout

Give it a try. The special effect works on bosses too.
I didn't use it because I couldn't be bothered. The ult does a ton of stagger damage too with a relatively short cooldown iirc.
I barely tried any of the skills that eikon had(besides the ult) so I can't tell you if they are good or bad.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Almost Smart posted:

The hardest part of the Svarog hunt was fighting the camera and actually locking onto the stupid thing. I got my first game over after getting trapped on the edge of the map and not being able to see what the hell was happening. Bested it on my second attempt though at level 38.

Out of curiosity, where does it rank in terms of difficulty among all the other hunts? It seems like there’s still room for a decent number more to open up.

imo it was the hardest hunt. Maybe there's another that comes close behemoth king, but not really.
It is definitely the hardest if you do it right when it unlocks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GateOfD posted:

just me, or does this game feel souls-like in the way it handles exploration and finding loot

gently caress no. The rewards from chests in this game range from useless to garbage. There is no reason to explore at all in ff16 because you won't find poo poo. Or it will be 12 sharp fangs in a treasure chest.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The worst part about the poo poo itemization is that they don't even have a cosmetic slot.

KonvexKonkav posted:

Maybe i'm the minority here but thank gently caress the itemization is so simple in this game. I'm tired of needlessly complex loot systems where you have to sift through piles of garbage.

Failboattootoot posted:

It didn't need to be a big mess like SoP but it would have been fine if some of the better equipment had stuff on it besides number go up. Number just go up pretty dull, but if you had a few weapons with additional effects like, I dunno, vampirism, one shoots lazers, one makes the ruda grabby hand grab multiple targets at once, etc, then it would be cool. Even just sticking some of the things they have on accessories onto equipment would have probably been good enough. Is 6 seconds off of gigaflare worth 15 attack and will? At least that's some kind of decision to make in this theoretical.

Yea exactly. I don't think anyone was asking for the recent trend of tons of garbage loot, but just interesting or unique effects on gear.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

jabro posted:

Is there a point of no return before the ending?

like they had for the time jumps

It's very obvious when you are about to go on the last mission. Also when you beat the game it puts you right before the final dungeon again so you can clean up whatever you missed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 2, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

Yes because it lets you cram more things into stagger windows and the slo mo is great (and also effects stagger refill) (also also it makes parrying easier which Odin really likes)

I haven't found it too difficult to cram everything into the stagger window provided you are using a few ults. If you are just using 5-6 regular abilities then yes I can see the case for it.

Use more ults

Solus posted:

I've just finished all the hunts and sidequests and I'm about to go into the final dungeon/boss

I'm really liking the following setup

Phoenix - Heatwave + Flames of Rebirth
Odin - Dancing Steel + Heaven's Cloud
Titan - Raging Fists + Judgement Bolt

Heatwave is really useful i've found - especially when you get annoying flying enemies. It smacks them out of the sky. It also does additional attacks and damage when you block a projectile with it

I set up a Rank 5 Zantetsuken before a stagger, and when the stagger hits I go

-> Judgement Bolt -> Flames of Rebirth -> Rank 5 Zantetsuken -> Dancing Steel -> Heaven's Cloud -> Second Rank 5 Zantetsuken.

I'm pretty consistently hitting 120k damage per stagger now - The Behemoth King hunt was a 2 stagger fight, with the guy dying on my last Zentetsuken.

Does Flames of Rebirth do more damage than Judgment Bolt? If not, it might be better to use Flames first to increase the stagger damage multiplier before using your big nuke.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

You can cancel out of ults too. Rift Slip the second the last bit of damage goes out. It's still more time to do stuff, like fit in a Zantetsuken or 2, which is going to be more damage than any ult except Gigaflare.

Legs Benedict posted:

i would use diamond dust instead of flames of rebirth in that setup, before judgment bolt. damage multiplier in stagger is based on will damage x number of hits, but a single dust will get you to almost 1.5 in a single go and is on a significantly shorter cooldown than flames

Hmm. Might have to swap something around to try dropping Titan's ult for Rift Slip(and a 2nd zantetsuken) and opening up with Diamond Dust -> Gigaflare instead of Lightning Rod -> Gigaflare.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

You can cancel out of ults too. Rift Slip the second the last bit of damage goes out. It's still more time to do stuff, like fit in a Zantetsuken or 2, which is going to be more damage than any ult except Gigaflare.

Good call. You were right.

So doing some testing at the training ground against a coeurl, rift slip is a pretty big dps gain if you can get a 2nd zantetsuken out of it. Getting in a 2nd zantetsuken gives me another 50k damage(200k vs 250k) when rift slip replaces windup.
The timing is extremely tight, at least it was for me, as a maxed out dancing steel and the 25% gain accessory still wasn't quite enough to fill up the bar to level five. I heard that it should fill up the bar completely with the 25% accessory, but I guess I was mistaken. This should be way easier on ng+ once you get the 50% variant, but there's basically nothing left at that point. But then you can drop rift slip for windup and you have a ridiculous amount of burst available during stagger.

My combo during stagger was megaflare lvl 4(can rift slip this if you want) -> limit break -> stagger the enemy -> diamond dust -> gigaflare -> rift slip -> judgment bolt -> zantetsuken lvl 5 -> dancing steel -> rift slip -> autoattacks to finish filling the bar -> zantetsuken lvl 5
Probably could've popped the limit break a bit later to further optimize the uptime but I'm not gonna retest.

Using diamond dust instead of lightning rod was definitely a good decision and easy dps boost. I went from 170k to 200k during staggers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Should I open with it, or use it after expending all my other skills? I'd normally think the latter, but my other skills are often enough to get close to full exhausting the enemy's stagger meter (which wouldn't leave me with enough time/opportunities to reasonably charge up the Megaflare).

Ideally you whittle the enemy down to near stagger, build it up and unleash it, then stagger them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

I don't want to turn this thread into TV talk, but like - what is the deal with OLEDs that make them better? Are they better vs glare? I have a Vizio TV that's an LED, I guess. I know jack poo poo about TVs but goddamn if I have any outside light coming in my apartment, I can't see poo poo on my TV.

Then you don't want an OLED. One of their main weaknesses is lower brightness and combine that with your natural lighting situation, you won't be having a good time.

Some of their pros are: excellent colors and contrast, per pixel lighting(so you can completely turn off a pixel or exact area to get the deepest blacks / best HDR experience), near instant response times(the best gaming monitors are like 2-4ms on average. OLEDS are 0.1ms) and maybe something else I'm forgetting.
Downsides are low brightness as mentioned and the possibility of burn in after years of use.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CuddleCryptid posted:

In regards to combos, do they actually, yknow, do anything? Other than locking enemies into an attack pattern of course. I tried to find online if they do increased damage outside of a stun state and all I found were people waxing poetic about "Player expression" so I'm guessing no.

I'm mostly wondering if it makes a functional difference to take a beat to do special combos and the like rather than just continuously sword comboing. Things like air juggling are fun but the biggest walls in the game are mini/regular bosses which can't get knocked down or juggled.

-Looks cool
-do more damage / stagger damage simply because you are using abilities and not normal attacking. But that has nothing to do with doing the actual combo itself so really it comes down to
-Looks cool

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bewilderment posted:

There's no point to mastering any of the E7 abilities that build meter if you don't actually have E7 equipped, right?

Correct.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Human Crouton posted:

I agree with both of these statements completely except for the conclusions. I think it is a bad game. It's a very bad game. I didn't realize that the demo was mechanically whole, and there would never be any depth beyond it.

God of War: Ragnarök was a better action RPG. I was seeking out armors and treasures, applying status effects, and managing side character abilities. Horizon Forbidden West was a better action RPG. The average game in the action genre is a better action RPG than FInal Fantasy XVI, and a better action game than Final Fantasy XVI.

What do we, as the player, even do this game? It's completely devoid of decision, and the combat is tedious and simplistic. Square, square, square, square, triangle? Forever?

It feels like this game would have been good on the Sega Saturn.

You could start by upgrading magic burst beyond level 1 :v:

I don't disagree with your criticism, I just want to bust your chops.

exquisite tea posted:

I think I would have liked the game more if they opened up the Hard Mode and style rankings from the start for the players who wanted it. Just mashing through everything is fine when you're playing a 10-hour DMC campaign for the first time but it gets real old after 50.

:same:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Human Crouton posted:

Video games have a trouble with parries overall. They never explain other than "just as the enemy attacks". Do I press the parry button when the enemy draws their weapon back, when the weapon moves forward, the frame between backward and forward motion, just before the weapon actually hits my character? Once you figure that out, you then have to experiment with each individual enemy.

And can I parry the giant hammer, or the semi truck barreling toward me?

I'd love to see a game where I can intuitively know when, and which attacks, I can parry when first encountering new enemy. Sekiro kind of pulled this off.

You can parry everything in Wo Long. Even fall damage. :slick:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ror posted:

Do people think the combat in FFXV is better than this? I played it but I burned out about halfway through and don't know if I unlocked all the mechanics.

I think FF7R's combat is easily better than this but I feel like I'm engaging with the system a lot more than I did in XV, which I never really got into a rhythm with. I'm interested in how people would slot SoP into the FF real-time action games too, that's one I've been meaning to play. Based on what I've seen it's 7R > SoP > XVI > XV

SoP > 7R >> 16 > 15

SoP can get insane and gives you a lot of options / builds. Shame about the terrible dlc structure and grind.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

What I really wanted was the Devil Buster from DMC4/5 aka Nero's grab.

Eikonic Buster

Did you never use Garuda when enemies get to 50% stagger?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1698131020946801125

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I finished the DLC. (Did it on my Final Fantasy playthrough.)
:words:

Good stuff.

I'll probably wait for the second dlc to come out and then play both at once.