Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Can finally add myself to the list of people who beat the game.
Definitely having some feelings there at the ending, mainly a combination of Sad But Not Really Surprised, and confused at the post-credits scene. Well, just the one part of the post-credits scene.

Really wish there had been more of an epilogue, though I guess that what happened to the rest of the main cast wasn't really the point of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BrianWilly posted:

So I'm still not finished with the game yet despite being at the literal doorstep of the final mission (Baldur's Gate sucked up 90% of my free time) but I just got to the part where Mid decided not to build the airship for which she had me scrounging for parts all game because it would :airquote: cause wars :airquote: or whatever and I wanted to throw her off the loving balcony :buddy:

I almost kind of respect the fact that we never get an airship. I mean, I saw hints that maybe we would throughout the plot, like the New Hideaway being the hull of an old airship that could have gotten restored somehow or Mid converting the Enterprise, but everytime I thought "Ok, this is where it'd happen", the game said "Nope!"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CharlestonJew posted:

It is a bit of a cockblock, but it would kind of ruin the whole “secret society we have to take great pains to hide lest every kingdom on the planet comes to wipe us out” thing if Clive owned the one and only working airship

Come to think of it, I'm honestly kind of surprised that The Executors never tried to blackbag Mid. I mean, their whole thing was suppressing information that they didn't want the general populace getting hold of, but they only showed up for that one sidequest of Vivian's.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ZiegeDame posted:

But by the time Mid decides to scrap the project, there are literally no nations left on the continent to wage a war. The entirety of the existing political structure is just Clive's uncle and his pals. The worst they could do is drop bombs on Akashic.

That is very much not true. Clive's uncle and pals are the only ones currently trying to mount a unified effort at restoring stability on-screen that we see, but there are still plenty of government authority figures holed up in private estates or whatever who were just trying to ride this out or do their own things. They just don't have anything to do with us in the main story, so we aren't being shown them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ZiegeDame posted:

"These people are never shown or mentioned, but they totally exist and are a problem" kinda encapsulates everything that's wrong with the storytelling in this game.

I disagree in this case because the story isn't about them. The world goes on and people are living their lives regardless of whether or not Clive is there to be involved. His story at that point was about going after Ultima, not playing SimCity

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ImpAtom posted:

Her pet projects are literally the important stuff. They get annoyed because she's eccentric and doesn't explain things but the tasks she asks people to do are for actual meaningful things.

Plus, the people getting roped into the quests to help her are usually the ones who are grumpy by default. They're pissy at anyone asking them stuff because they're just grumpy old men. It's nothing to do with her specifically.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

theCalamity posted:

I just beat the game tonight. Didn't like it. The story was bad and the storytelling made it worse. An example of that is when Dion starts destroying Twinside and killing a bunch of people for no reason. It is only after the Bahamut fight do we find out that he was manipulated by Ultima. Up until then, it's an uncharacteristic moment for him that doesn't make me intrigued as to what changed in him, but made me think that I missed something Speaking of Bahamut Jill just complete sat it out with no explanation as to why. They really did Jill dirty in this game.

WRT Jill: It's because Priming takes a toll on the Dominant. It's hard to tell since her outfits cover pretty much everything from the neck down, but it's pretty strongly implied that she's suffering from a fair degree of the Crystal's Curse. Not as bad as Cid's or Joshua's cases, but still pretty rough for her. Plus, someone needed to keep an eye on Mother of the Year to make sure she didn't try to pull anything.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ibblebibble posted:

New DLC featuring Omega out tonight, second DLC featuring Leviathan in Spring 2024.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RecsFD6SWfc

Wait, like, the Omega dlc is available now?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

WaltherFeng posted:

Someone will probably beat me to it but I'll be playing it today

I'm out of town until Tuesday, but it will definitely be one of the first things I download and play once I'm back home and settled in

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So what's the over/under on the Leviathan DLC giving us an alternate ending?

Like, as it stands, Clive dies because he wasn't as capable of handling his power as Ultima thought he'd be. But is that because Ultima miscalculated and thought Mythos would be fine with being short one? So if you go in with the full suite, will Clive manage to barely survive?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, personally I'm fine either way. I mean, I feel like the ending we have now makes sense for the theme and the story we got.

But, on the other hand, I can't help but laugh because I remember when Aerith lives! as a DLC in FF7 was a running joke and now we may actually get it with Clive.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ImpAtom posted:

We got Noctis Lives as DLC in FFXV and they almost sold a completely different Noctis Lives as DLC later on, funnily enough.

I never played XV, oddly enough. Kept putting off buying it because I knew there'd be a 'Definitive' edition of some sort and I figured I'd just wait for it.
By the time it came out though, I just didn't have any interest in buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm torn on how to feel about the DLC not affecting the ending. On one hand, I do like that they stuck to their guns (though it would've been nice to get SOME sort of acknowledgement that the DLC even happened) and didn't gate a Better Ending behind $20. But on the other hand, I am a sucker for happy endings and my girlfriend is going to be inconsolable if she ever decides to finish the game and realizes that Dion, Josh and Clive all die in short order.