Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
There will be gang tags for all participants!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The competition is now live! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4040488

:getin:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Love those tags, gonna have to come up with something original for once :sweatdrop:

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

9 pinned threads seems a lot

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Prag suggested sticking the new threads that were made for the little competition so they could get some love. I'll unstick the ones that have been up for a week or more though.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
is there a reason the competition thread is closed? I actually came up with a fun thread idea and was going to link it there (I was also going to post asking if it's a thread that already exists because I've looked at the first six pages but didn't see it, but I also routinely miss things when searching like that)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Competition is over but there is nothing stopping you from making a new thread and then bugging a mod for a gang tag.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

oh, the thread said September 29th - must be a timezone thing

I don't really care about the competition itself/the tag, I just wanted to make sure "post your favorite cool gift(s) you've received" wasn't already going. which I don't think it is. sounded like a fun thread to show off the things given to us by loved ones that were really surprising/off the wall/interesting in some way. so I think I'll post that, later

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The submission period was supposed to end on September 16th for the competition, followed by a week of voting. There weren't a ton of submissions by the end of the competition and a few people didn't seem interested in gang tags as prizes anyway so I figured I would just wrap up the competition. Sorry, I figured the last couple posts in the thread made it clear enough.

If you do post a thread I'm happy to pin it so it gets some visibility amid the megathread monoliths. If you want any of the gang tags or whatever, too, feel free to ask!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I know this is a pretty quiet feedback thread, but we were discussing changing up the subforum header/description. So like if we want to do a : thing after the forum title like it used to have (Derail Valley) and changing "Lists for miles" to something else.

Any suggestions?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
More like, YOU post your favorites, NERD!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Post Ducks and/or Your Favorite
subtitle: The forum for duck and/or list appreciators.

It's technically accurate! I think this has the makings of a funny joke but it's not there yet, ducks is probably not the funniest thing to put there. I think the presenting both the actual purpose of the forum and some other thing as being equally important and saying the other thing first is a good premise.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Nov 13, 2023

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I don't have any feedback other than I'm glad I can read this forum again and I like posting in it

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Shine posted:

More like, YOU post your favorites, NERD!

They're everyone's favorites. Except the haters, and gently caress them!

Ariong posted:

Post Ducks and/or Your Favorite
subtitle: The forum for duck and/or list appreciators.

It's technically accurate! I think this has the makings of a funny joke but it's not there yet, ducks is probably not the funniest thing to put there. I think the presenting both the actual purpose of the forum and some other thing as being equally important and saying the other thing first is a good premise.

Hum do we even have a PYF Duck thread though?

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I don't have any feedback other than I'm glad I can read this forum again and I like posting in it

I'm warming up to it, too. :hai:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Post your favorites *and favorite-adjacent items

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Post Your Favourites: :justpost:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
SA's second favorite place for posting lists and spreadsheets

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

lol

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Post Your Favourites: lists for kilometres

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Your favorite place to post your favorites...place.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Post Your Favorites. the s is the subtitle

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

John Murdoch posted:

This one is good, but only if it also means the subtitle for the Tourist/Travel forum becomes "Your favorite place to post your favorite places."

I know the Tourist/Travel subforum doesn't have a subtitle and probably doesn't get the traffic to justify making it a main forum, but it should be, just for my dumb joke.

For real, though, it's a good title suggestion. :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Return The Great Outdoors to Main. :colbert:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like these two a lot btw

Grassy Knowles posted:

John Murdoch posted:

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I don't think the smilies will show up on the forum headers but I find it funny to put the emoji code text in things

Platystemon posted:

Return The Great Outdoors to Main. :colbert:

I don't have any control of that but I'll pass it on haha.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I got a few more ~anonymous suggestions~

quote:

Post Your Favorite: Carefully Curated Lists

Post Your Favorite: List Curation Station

Post Your Favorite: Multiversal Listmasters

I like all the suggestions so far, though. I'll see which one the other mods want to do first!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Post Your Favorite: soft Human Resources tier lululemon longhouse

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

glad this won, it's pretty excellent

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Why is there a Tech Relics thread and an obsolete and failed technology thread which are like, kind of the same thing?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Why is there a Tech Relics thread and an obsolete and failed technology thread which are like, kind of the same thing?

Tech Relics threads seems to be just about old stuff in general, like websites and stuff, while Obselete and Failed focuses on stuff that sucked.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

One of them got moved from GBS, I believe. (it's the tech relics thread, it's really obvious when you look at the first page.)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Is having two similar threads an actual problem, because if so PYF is in trouble.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

One of them got moved from GBS, I believe. (it's the tech relics thread, it's really obvious when you look at the first page.)

Ha, that solves that mystery. If there's distinct discussion in both, and people who browse one or the other understand the difference, is it mostly confusing because the thread titles make them sound similar?

Would it help to put a note at the top of the first posts in each explaining what kind of topics get discussed there, and pointing to the other thread if they're looking for discussion that fits in the other thread better?

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

this is that movie where the guy did the thing

still not seeing the appeal

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nuns with Guns posted:

Would it help to put a note at the top of the first posts in each explaining what kind of topics get discussed there, and pointing to the other thread if they're looking for discussion that fits in the other thread better?

People could read the thread before posting?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

every PYF thread is the same thread

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I mean, yeah, that would be necessary in any case. I was asking if putting a note on the first post would make that easier or not?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Similar but unrelated to the above discussion, the Idiots On Social Media thread and the Twitter Diaspora thread have been converging on becoming the Racism On Twitter twin threads over the past few weeks/months. Credit where credit is due, y'all have stepped in over and over (and over and over) to correct this, but...

There's gotta be a better way!

I think ideally we would want there to be no Racism On Twitter threads at all, but considering the obvious desire of people in PYF to post about all the racism on Twitter, maybe we could designate one or the other (or a new, third thread!?) as the Official Racism On Twitter Thread, then forbid discussion of Racism On Twitter in the other thread(s)?

All I know is I follow both threads and it's weird and bad seeing the same racisms twice every day. I want more non-racism content in my life.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It's kind of hard because "main guy" is now a paying roll so people are punching out low hanging hot take fruit to get those sweet Elonbux. Racism and homo / transphobia are going to get you the most attention. So people are going to pump that poo poo out in the hopes of making bank. There is a nadir in social media at the moment that we may never recover from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Hopefully society as a whole can still turn around at least.

How about splitting the difference and only tolerating the nasty content if it's directly coming from or being boosted by the elon himself, since the thread is specifically about his degradation?

Just treat any other bad posts from random dinguses as if someone just barged into an unrelated thread and started posting off topic hitler memes