Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I don't know if the AGI claim makes sense but the math capability of this LLM is a major advance. ChatGPT has some ability to turn word problems into equations or give a proof of a well-known theorem. For instance, I asked ChatGPT for several proofs that there are infinite prime numbers and it provided them, but I think they're part of the training set so it's just rephrasing proofs it knows and it didn't take long to start repeating itself. But GPT-4 is giving a novel proof, and while this isn't the world's hardest problem it is a challenging one.

This is fascinating. GPT-3, from my experimentation, has a lot of problems with maths. If it seems to have a proof somewhere in it's training, it's fine, but I struggled getting coherency out of it when discussing problems that don't currently have proofs. I spent a while talking to it about Goldbach's and I realized after a bit that it was considering 4 a prime number, which was strange.

This proof is pretty good though. It's about how I'd have tackled it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU