Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KwegiboHB posted:

https://www.veterinarydaily.com/2023/03/80000-mouse-brain-cells-used-to-build.html

Is this AI or just I?

It's man-made horrors beyond my comprehension.

Peter Watts was, as usual, correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Epic High Five posted:

That's....exactly what those things do? The workers previously employed don't just vanish from the world, and they are still expected to clothe and house themselves in a world in which you either own enough capital that you live off other people's labor or live off your own labor alone. Suppressing wages and keeping a non-zero amount of unemployed people knocking around the place go hand in hand and are the explicit goals of the Fed, and entire government generally, it's not any kind of theory at all much less a Communist one. We're literally living in the middle of a "crisis" that is defined in weekly press conferences as being the result of wages rising and unemployment going too low. This is the system that is building machines to reinforce and propagate itself, and those machines are what you're referring to.

What is considered progress will always be highly context dependent, but just writing off every negative externality as fake or some Communist plot is fanciful utopianism. More efficiency is not always good. The Zaire variant of Ebola is pretty efficient too.

There's a legitimate economic reason to structurally have a couple percent (iirc the recommended numbers i've seen float between 0.5% and 2%, so as usually i lean towards the lower end that gives workers more power) unemployment as long as any individual person doesn't stay unemployed for too long, and it's subscribed to by the better Fed types. If it gets really close to zero percent, things start getting a little weird regarding job changes and career changes. in practice at the Fed this usually manifests as arguing that current unemployment rates are either fine or too high, in opposition to the people who think fewer people should be employed for worse reasons