Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
seriously the degree to which it is an incredibly robust language model is very impressive. but it's only that, and if you try to ask it any other question--math, science, even programming--it becomes outright hilarious how much nonsense it repeats back to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
People aren't moved by "You wouldn't steal a car", they're moved by "You wouldn't steal a livelihood"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

Not moved enough to get rid of the thing that has repeatedly caused the destruction of livelihoods every time another job gets automated or obsoleted, apparently.

My brother in Christ are you dragging people for being unable to destroy capitalism?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/heykody/status/1662168390352666624?t=Fa8UUnCg31HHrPGtTZStXQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/heykody/status/1662168475668996096?t=m6aclo4K_QDzvD7a8mHtxA&s=19

https://twitter.com/mrgreen/status/1663107572902027265?t=kmVYbV5VlMVwvvRz107gRw&s=19

I appreciate ai art supporters doing a better job of showing how much it sucks than its detractors ever could

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

How can anyone seriously look at one of these examples from the new photoshop ai fill thing and conclude “yep this is proof that ai generated art is all crap.”

Like how?

In what world is something like this

https://twitter.com/ciguleva/status/1663515783828508672?s=20

Not impressive and just showcases how ai art is poo poo?

Jesus gently caress this thread is the worse. Gas it already mods or step in and remind people the loving rules.

the threads talking about expanding images for famous paintings and album covers were all universally poo poo and illustrative of an incredible ignorance of the basic concept of composition

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BrainDance posted:

Do you think people actually think it made the paintings better?

Like, that it was an actual improved new version?

It's a fun thing meant to just show off AI no one is worried about composition.

It's just very cool and fun to do with something you're already familiar with, and impressive that it can pick up on the style and context of the source material so well.

i can only go on what people replying to the threads have said, and my words seem to adequately those people

also the bolded here is just straightup wrong, the expanded imagery is so much worse than the original works its actually painful

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SaTaMaS posted:

It's more that people point to hallucinations as a reason for why LLMs can't be considered intelligent.

....LLMs are not entities capable of intelligence

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tei posted:

Maybe part of the reason the human brain is so slow is because is mechanical. Biological cells must actually build new connections and chemistry changes (molecules) actually have to move.

A computer can learn a new language is fractions of a second, but for a human brain it takes years.

We use to change the definition of inteligence every 10 years.

Then in the 2000-ish we started updating the definition every year.

And in 2023, the definition of intelligence need to be updated every week to opt-out progress from IA.

as you have been told repeatedly, you are massively anthropomorphizing LLMs. hallucinations are more accurately described as poor text predictions

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

The Artificial Kid posted:

Not really, I'm arguing that human beings also have things that could be called "prediction anomolies". That's almost exactly what's meant in a bayesian approach to perception and hallucination https://academic.oup.com/brain/article/142/8/2178/5538604.

To me it's an interesting and important thing to know if these systems are many years away from replicating human intelligence or if, as I suspect, they are actually on the cusp of reaching the same level of "smoke and mirrors" that makes many human beings think there's something magical about human intelligence and consciousness. Specifically I think that the human brain much more closely resembles a community of relatively simple networks than most of us would care to admit.

You get why this is insanely tedious to read and argue about, right? You have next to zero evidence for this belief beyond vibes! You are not experienced with the development of LLMs, you have no training with the study of human intelligence, or even the philosophy of intelligence! You just constantly put forth arguments that lack basic rigour but they sound mildly plausible to you, so it's becomes our task to convince you why this is not the case!

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 18, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

The Artificial Kid posted:

I have a bachelors and a masters by research in psychology with a focus on cognition and pre-attentional information processing.

Edit:

No I don't know the community you're referring to.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Everyone is free to post here, regardless of credentials.

If you have education or experience in a particular field, then use that knowledge to make good posts or correct others on their mistakes (you can be quite vicious when attacking a bad idea, as long as you don't attack the poster personally). If you think someone has posted something incorrect or stupid, then respond to the contents of the post, or ignore it and move on. If there is something particularly egregious about it that breaks a forum rule, then report it.

But we will not be devolving into slapfights about who has the best qualifications.

look im not trying to resort to credentialism as lord knows i dont got a leg to stand on either in that regard. but we need more than vibes to go on, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I thought it was pretty well established that the proliferation of ai art is what creates the risk of model collapse. They trained these things on a shitload of data and it's rather up in the air if they're going to be able to keep doing that without scraping the products of their own models