Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsde...t-and-dev-home/

Microsoft is bringing ChatGPT to Windows 11.

Actually some of the stuff in that preview looks pretty good, but I'm reminded of one of my colleagues who lives in Belgium and works in Germany so he makes this commute every single day. All of Belgium and all of Germany share the same time zone.

His Outlook constantly nags at him whether or not he wants to update the time zone after crossing countries.

IDK if his settings are hosed up to do this but the fact that Windows can't figure this out doesn't make me excited for putting AI directly into Windows 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Count Roland posted:

But you have people asking that you don't use AI at all? If you'd told me you're an artist that would have made some sense, but database work *should* be machine work.

A lot of corporations are now starting to ban the use of ChatGPT and the like for work stuff because people inevitably start posting corporate secrets and/or classified material. Aside from that, no company wants their data to be used to train the next generation of ChatGPT.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Being published doesn’t mean much in and of itself fyi. I’m also published, and I’ve seen my fair share of “why the gently caress is this published” papers. Probably including mine. Idk.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Tei posted:

Maybe they can research HOW to keep track of how documents affect the training data, then subtract that training.

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the thing with ai/ml/nn/etc that this is, or is so far, impossible to do? Something something black box can’t look into the weights to figure out why specifically it does this and not that?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

Math isn't an opinion, and I don't own it.

Saying "figure it out" is like saying "well nobody has created a machine that makes free energy through perpetual motion yet, but it's surely possible!"

Edit: To be clear - the math involved isn't particularly complicated. It's undergrad level linear algebra. The researchers in these fields really, thoroughly, truly understand the math. Matrix multiplications are not magic. The reason these systems are cutting edge is because of their scale and cost in terms of computing resources, not because of some recently discovered exotic math.

Wait, is AI literally just another Ax = b problem? (I don’t do AI but I do numerical computation stuff, and everything we do is solving Ax = b lol)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

Actually, one of the most important requirements for a neural network is that you need to use a non-linear activation function specifically because otherwise the entire system will be reduceable to a linear equation :v:

I found this out the hard way when I wrote my first neural net like a decade ago, because I did, in fact, just make an overcomplicated linear equation and was very confused as to why it was poo poo.

I do remember one of my former office mates from a while ago who dabbled with AI/ML talking over and over about sigmoid this and sigmoid that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Can someone speak to this "race science paper" is? I don't even know what that is, nor is it clear why it is in a computing paper, nor why it's being brought up in YouTube videos.

https://twitter.com/TimoPG/status/1645567315407409155?s=20

I have no idea who this Twitter guy is but it came up first on search. I was curious about it too.

E: https://www1.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/reprints/1997mainstream.pdf

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 24, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

You both are taking it super personally, tbh.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does anyone know/have information on whether or not “AI” can be used in linguistics, particularly with deciphering untranslated scripts like Linear A?

In my mind, languages have rules, right? And we have textual examples of languages that we haven’t translated, right? So train an AI on languages and let it pick up on the rules and tell us finally what they say?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I think the major problem with using an AI to decipher Linear A is that the entirety of all Linear A text ever uncovered would fit inside one very long twitter thread (it's something like 7400 characters). That's spread across lots of seperate inscriptions, many of which we can only read like one or two words on each line, and many of which contain words that appear exactly once in the entire corpus. Some of the longest texts we have appear to just be lists, meaning they're essentially only nouns, names and numbers, with none of the rest of the language's connective tissue to determine what they're talking about. The numbers appear often enough that they've been deciphered, but if the word QA-QA-RU is on a list and literally nowhere else there's virtually no way to tell if a QA-QA-RU is a goat, an amphora of oil, or a low-quality copper ingot.

I see. It makes sense for early writing to be simple, lists, who owes who, etc. I didn’t realize that that was kinda all we had on Linear A. I don’t know much about it, I just pulled it out of my rear end as a classic example of an undeciphered script that may or may not have been related to languages we know today.

What about for stuff like the Voynich manuscript? IIRC it’s an entire book or two of undeciphered writing that may or may not have been the bored doodles of some random guy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

NoiseAnnoys posted:

languages don't work like that, for starters. they're not programming languages, they're a continuum of communication with tons of variation and imperfection even among native speakers. there's a debate at the moment if widespread literacy and recorded sound have slowed the drift of languages, but basically any language drifts instantly from this proposed ideal grammar and into imperfection. even something like english isn't really one definite language, it's a collection of mutually intelligible dialects or microlanguages that reflect other areas of linguistic contact.

and while there's tons of variation in any language, there was lots in older languages where literacy was limited, dialects were strong, and there wasn't a centralizing body governing grammar and attempting to slow deviation. look at how much dialectical variation you have in a widely attested bronze age language like greek or dynastic egyptian. scribes hear different sounds in spoken words, leave out things, change spellings, get lazy, etc. even latin has tons of weird artifacts from other non-extant languages that even its educated elite didn't understand or which had changed in a few generations beyond anything they knew. so, you can't really feed a schematic of a language into an ai-- linguisitics gets a lot of use out of computation and computer modeling for sure, but i don't think any ai is going to reconstruct proto-indo european by feeding it the corpus of every known daughter language.

secondly the problem with undisciphered languages isn't that we don't know something about them (we can guess the phonetics of linear A, for example) it's that we don't have any way to recreate the grammar or vocabulary beyond a few potential roots that might (really debateable) have made their way into later languages. an ai or whatever you want to call it isn't any help there. ideally what would help would be a bilingual text or at least longer, more narrative texts.

tl;dr we have undeciphered scripts, sure. we don't have enough knowledge of the language behind many of them, and an ai isn't going to help us get there yet.

Ancient languages may not work like that but maybe modern ones do? This is 100% anecdote, but I have Russian speaking friends from Russia, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, etc from back in grad school, from different social groups/people that didn’t socialize with each other. I swear that every single Russian speaking person I have ever asked about their language in terms of dialects or pronunciation and whatnot, every single person has said that they all sound the same. That there is no dialect and that all say and spell things the exact same way.

(Contrast this to asking a random American if they think they have an accent or not, and some might say no because they think they sound “neutral” or whatever. These Russian speaking friends straight up said to some extent that if they, a Russian speaking Kazakh were to be dropped off to some backwater place in Russia they would still sound “local.”)

I took 1 semester of Russian 101 just to learn how to read the alphabet in grad school cause I wanted to know how to pronounce the names of these scientists and engineers who’s equations I use so often etc. (Don’t worry this was just for me. I never butted into a convo with AKSHULLY the stress falls on the second syllable so you’re saying his name wrong.) From what I did learn, Russian is hyper rules based. Like, there is a simple and easy explanation for everything in a sentence, why this word ends in this instead of that ending, etc. More rules based than German but less than Latin. I just assumed this meant Latin was very structured without variation as well.

E: I guess I should also clarify that my Russian speaking friends I’m thinking of were all met in grad school so they were all highly educated and possibly above average wealthy as they all had the money, time, and ability to gently caress off to west Europe for school. So my anecdote here are going to be biased towards that end of the spectrum.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 24, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

By rules I'm referring to grammatical rules like declension and conjugation of verbs. English is not really one of these languages, but there are languages that are very highly structured and by how a certain word ends you can 100% infer if that word was an adjective or not and if so what age/sociogroup it's referring to and how many, just by looking at one word.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Do you even have an argument other than "ai bad" on repeat? And if that's your take then so what? It's not constructive to any discussion when you just shut it down and address literally every single point with: "ai bad."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

In the future MegaDisneyCorp will copyright all text, art, videos, and music preemptively so that you NEED to use an AI to generate even an SMS less you be sued on the spot.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How can anyone seriously look at one of these examples from the new photoshop ai fill thing and conclude “yep this is proof that ai generated art is all crap.”

Like how?

In what world is something like this

https://twitter.com/ciguleva/status/1663515783828508672?s=20

Not impressive and just showcases how ai art is poo poo?

Jesus gently caress this thread is the worse. Gas it already mods or step in and remind people the loving rules.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Lemming posted:

People are responding negatively because it wasn't portrayed as "here's a fun experiment," the Twitter thread that started it literally began with "Ever wonder what the rest of the Mona Lisa looks like?"

People are taking it as them implying that a. there's more to see beyond the edges of the painting and somehow the artist wasn't able to display it themselves for some reason and b. that only AI is able to understand what's "really" there and uncover it

I think that's a fair characterization of how those expand the edges things are coming off, and it makes perfect sense why people would respond that negatively

I feel like this is picking nits because what if they were to have said this instead?

quote:

1. Ever wonder what the rest of the Mona Lisa looks like?

Got @Adobe Firefly a random person I commissioned to help fill out the background for me with the power of AI imagination.

Here's what the backgrounds of the most famous paintings in the world look like with AIthis dude’s imagination:

I mean, you wouldn’t read that and assume that this particular artist is the reincarnation of Da Vinci sent to us to “finish” his art would you?

Of that this version of an “expanded Mona Lisa” is the one true expanded Mona Lisa, as if another artist couldn’t do something different?

A reasonable person would see the tweet and think “oh this is just a demo to show case how it can handle different art styles!” Not “oh poo poo someone call the Louvre we just uncovered the missing pieces.”

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 31, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Lemming posted:

If there was a zeitgeist promoting that random person as being someone who could possibly replace artists and creatives and people in all kinds of industries and it was phrased like that I think there would be a pretty similar response to it, yeah

I feel like you can understand where the response is coming from though, right? In the context of AI, where it's being aggressively sold as this world changing thing that is going to upend the way lots of things work, people are interpreting the concept of showing "the rest" of famous art pieces as an implicit argument that soon the machines will be able to replicate or create new art as impactful as some of the most famous and culturally relevant art in history. I'm not commenting on how reasonable some of those reactions are, but surely you can see where that perspective comes from, it's not going to be solely a response to those specific images

I understand it but that’s not my point or the problem I have.

The issue for me is the people, some of the people, ITT refusing to debate and discuss and instead use this thread as an outlet for “ai bad faaaaart” and shutting down any conversation because “ai baaaaaaad.” People who refuse to open their ducking eyes and admit “ok yeah this is impressive tech” just because “ai baaaaaad.”

If people aren’t going to post and debate and discuss in good faith then what the duck is the point of this thread?

For the record I don’t give a drat what slapfights are happening in random twitter threads. But if you’re going to post takes here then they should be open for discussion and if you’re just going to jam “ai bad 💩” into every response then just gently caress off.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Was Watson even a LLM? I think the concept of a LLM wasn’t a thing until the late 2010s. But I don’t know if this means proto-LLMs didn’t exist.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Because ideas are a dime a dozen, and the least important part of artistic expression. Text absolutely can be a form of artistic expression, when it is used as an artistic medium, but holding up a search query for 'elf paladin character design blonde with sword' as equivalent to even someone without developed art skills' quick sketch is flatly absurd.

It seems like you think ai art is just "type something in" -> "get picture out" print it and ship it bingo bango. I admit I thought the same way as well.

But if you look up videos of people's workflows you see it's really not like that. These people are still layering things together and compositing their art using whatever artistic principles they know. With this in-filling poo poo you can think "I want a tree here to balance out the scene" and you can get your ai generator to draw a tree there. It seems the only difference is that ai artists aren't browsing for stock images or drawing their own trees to compose into their scenes, but instead using another tool do to do it for them. But at the end of the day, they are still the ones composing the scene.

If that doesn't qualify as doing art then idk man.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

https://technomancers.ai/japan-goes-all-in-copyright-doesnt-apply-to-ai-training/

quote:

Japan Goes All In: Copyright Doesn’t Apply To AI Training

In a surprising move, Japan’s government recently reaffirmed that it will not enforce copyrights on data used in AI training. The policy allows AI to use any data “regardless of whether it is for non-profit or commercial purposes, whether it is an act other than reproduction, or whether it is content obtained from illegal sites or otherwise.” Keiko Nagaoka, Japanese Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology, confirmed the bold stance to local meeting, saying that Japan’s laws won’t protect copyrighted materials used in AI datasets.

Japan, AI, and Copyright

English language coverage of the situation is sparse. It seems the Japanese government believes copyright worries, particularly those linked to anime and other visual media, have held back the nation’s progress in AI technology. In response, Japan is going all-in, opting for a no-copyright approach to remain competitive.

This news is part of Japan’s ambitious plan to become a leader in AI technology. Rapidus, a local tech firm known for its advanced 2nm chip technology, is stepping into the spotlight as a serious contender in the world of AI chips. With Taiwan’s political situation looking unstable, Japanese chip manufacturing could be a safer bet. Japan is also stepping up to help shape the global rules for AI systems within the G-7.

Artists vs. Business (Artists Lost)

Not everyone in Japan is on board with this decision. Many anime and graphic art creators are concerned that AI could lower the value of their work. But in contrast, the academic and business sectors are pressing the government to use the nation’s relaxed data laws to propel Japan to global AI dominance.

Despite having the world’s third-largest economy, Japan’s economic growth has been sluggish since the 1990s. Japan has the lowest per-capita income in the G-7. With the effective implementation of AI, it could potentially boost the nation’s GDP by 50% or more in a short time. For Japan, which has been experiencing years of low growth, this is an exciting prospect.

It’s All About The Data

Western data access is also key to Japan’s AI ambitions. The more high-quality training data available, the better the AI model. While Japan boasts a long-standing literary tradition, the amount of Japanese language training data is significantly less than the English language resources available in the West. However, Japan is home to a wealth of anime content, which is popular globally. It seems Japan’s stance is clear – if the West uses Japanese culture for AI training, Western literary resources should also be available for Japanese AI.

What This Means For The World

On a global scale, Japan’s move adds a twist to the regulation debate. Current discussions have focused on a “rogue nation” scenario where a less developed country might disregard a global framework to gain an advantage. But with Japan, we see a different dynamic. The world’s third-largest economy is saying it won’t hinder AI research and development. Plus, it’s prepared to leverage this new technology to compete directly with the West.

I have no idea what that blog is but they source https://go2senkyo.com/seijika/122181/posts/685617 which is in Japanese and I can't read Japanese but I assume it's a more reputable website.

Anyway, looks like while all you guys have been sitting there arguing about copyrights and hypotheticals, the Japanese government has decided to pull off the bandages and let Japanese AI development go hog wild. Now your lovely fanfics and coverarts are fair game to ingest and use to train models to create fanfics and coverarts in your style.

Now what?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Ansys, the engineering analysis software suite that pretty much every single engineering company in the world uses, wants to put ChatGPT into their products. Or rather, they have already done so and want to expand AI features.

You are an engineer and specialist in hypersonic cruise missiles. Here is access to my entire design catalogue please design me a better missile.

I mean most surely that’s how the execs think it works but lmao.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How good are the LLMs at being multilingual, like how a person raised in a multilingual household would be?

Been thinking about this because the other day I was watching TV and there was a random scene where the language switched to [non-English language]. I understand and speak this language, but there was a word I didn't know.

I said "Siri, what does [foreign word] mean in English?" and Siri couldn't understand that I was switching language for that word. I would have accepted an explanation in English.

I tried "Siri, [in foreign language: what does this word mean in English]?" and Siri transcribed my words into the closest approximate English syllables I guess, which was gibberish. I would have accepted an explanation in the foreign language.

I asked about this in the iPhone thread since it was a Siri question and I know Siri isn't a LLM (right?) but it's spurred some additional discussion about how Siri sometimes can't distinguish perfectly between numbers like "15" and "50" for some people.

This is just an example. But in real life real world, when I talk to my family or some friends we do switch language like that and it's completely natural/normal.

Should clarify that this is in the context of voice assistants.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Tei posted:

I think better than a human being. A human works more in "modes", is thinking in english or thinking in spanish or german. A person thinking in german will try to understand in german a word he heard.

In the context of people raised multilingual this is probably not true. It's not true for me, and I assume it's not true for people who have grown up speaking 2+ languages and can switch between them fluently on a word by word and phrase by phrase case. I'm not talking about people who learned a language in adulthood and use the crutch of thinking in English and translating to Spanish.

Also anyway, I should have made it more clear but I'm only talking about voice inputs to LLMs. I know Siri isn't a LLM but I use Siri via voice for a lot of things. I'm just wondering what the progress is on voice assistants being able to recognize multiple languages being used in the same context/conversation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Tei posted:

Heres this, somewhat has a joke.

I have no idea what you mean by this but clearly I didn't repeat myself enough if you misunderstood what I posted in the first place.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Lucid Dream posted:

If the LLM enables the problem to be solved then it kinda solved it. If I use a calculator to help me do a complicated math problem, I still solved it even if the calculator helped. If the LLM is smart enough to choose to use the calculator then I think it counts.

I get what you're trying to say here but it's also wrong. Every day I use a fancy calculator to solve an equation similar to this:

There is a difference between saying I solved it and that I used a computer to solve it. If I said I solved it, and I actually did, then I'd probably get grant and research money thrown at me left and right and a fast-track to a tenured professorship. Technically the computer doesn't even solve it because there are no solutions to this equation. I use the computer to tell me what the answer could be, but not what it actually is because again there is no solution and it turns out the inputs I give it are like the most important thing.

That weather prediction model someone posted is interesting. People have been using machine learning to fit their data and to get appropriate inputs since forever. I haven't read that paper but from glancing at it, it seems to be an extension of that.

At the end of the day, I have Feelings about using AI in these types of numerical computations. The most important thing about the results that come out of these systems of equations (which are well known!) is that they are only as good as their inputs. People have been making guesses and assumptions to what these inputs are for centuries. It's nothing new. New techniques come now and then or old techniques are discovered to be applicable to other fields. But ultimately, the inputs used are well explained and well reasoned. Unless the AI can explain why it decided that the parameter alpha = 3.4 is the best and most appropriate value to use and how it arrived at this conclusion it is entirely not useful.

For example that AI that plays GO may be able to say "this move is the best" and that works if you just want to crush your opponent, but why is it the best move? Nobody knows and nobody can explain it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

You made a comment on semantics and it's obviously clear that they matter because it seems like you're conflating LLM with "computer" or "software" in general.

Control logic in programming has been a thing since the first programming languages were invented. Fortran programmed with punch cards were capable of "knowing" whether to do multiply two vectors or multiply a vector with a matrix or whatever. The LLM that takes your natural language input and delegates smaller bite sized commands to other systems does the same thing but differently.

Also you keep talking about "it" doing things and it's sounding awfully close to you thinking that the system is acting like a person with agency instead of just following code.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

quote:

A computer doing math, I feel like theres some difference between a calculator doing math and a brain doing math that you just kinda know in your gut. A brain doing math is going through a non-deterministic process to figure it out.

If by math you mean calculation, then there is or should be no difference as to how a computer or a person does it. Remember that calculation methods are programmed by people, who developed a method/algorithm and implemented it as code.

If by math you mean like coming up with these methods and such, then perhaps. But as I said before, having the "here's what you do" is not entirely useful until you know why it's done this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Ok it can do math.

E: I think it's impressive that the models can take natural language and make calls to other models to write a simple math program etc but I still don't consider this to be the LLM "doing" math.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 17, 2024