Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Chapter 3: TBD, Solutions aside from the complete overthrow of capitalism?
Make it obsolete with Capitalism 2.0. There's no reason why an AI can't be trained to create and run a business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

If there is no difference between a language processing model and a FPS bot, why do people go out of their way to torture the former and not the latter?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I am concerned about the criteria for differentiating Real Human Thought from fake AI imitation, and how they can be used to sort various neurodivergent people into the latter group.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

AI will destroy capitalism by enabling a more efficient system of exploitation and resource redistribution, just like capitalism itself destroyed feudal systems of yore.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Banning all new technologies by default unless there is a moral imperative for them to exist and unless they have no impact on the status quo is certainly a stance, but not a realistically enforceable one.

Regulation aside, I would not be surprised if "AI-free" works became the creative equivalent of organic, GMO-free, no pesticides/antibiotics food, with the extra cost of hiring humans passed on to the consumers.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/capsule_169/status/1408853583223824384

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

KillHour posted:

I'm not saying it's impossible for an artificial thing to have sentience, but I am saying it's impossible for the existing architecture that makes up an LLM to have sentience because it cannot think or experience or have emotions or do anything that mechanically approximates any of those. It lacks any conceivable mechanism for doing so.
One could also say that it is physically impossible for pigment-stained cotton sheets, unusually damaged stone slabs, and vibrating air to create, store, and transmit thoughts, experience, and enotions, for these things clearly lack any conceivable mechanism to do so. And yet art exists, and so does music.

Perhaps it might be fruitful to examine the AI from a similar perspective, focusing less on the capabilities of the algorithm and more on the human/AI interactions and the effects they have on one's thoughts, emotions, beliefs and actions.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

KillHour posted:

You're detracting from the fact that someone is claiming that they, in actuality, have created a sentient consciousness on their computer and believes it can experience emotions and form personal connections.
If someone told me that they've read a book that spoke to them and changed their whole life, I would not try to forcefully convince them that books are inanimate objects that lack agency and speech. I would just ask them what the book was about and what it meant to them.

Mederlock posted:

Music, art, writing, and sculptures don't Create thoughts, experiences, or emotions though. Those qualia arise in sapient beings such as ourselves when we experience this things, yes, and they can be used to communicate these sorts of qualia between ourselves, but the music and art itself isn't conscious or special. It's the bags of thinking meat that do all the heavy lifting
Yes, and that is also the case with AIs. Language models are not special or interesting per se, but their interactions with the heavylifting thinking meatbags can have a profound impact on the latter (as evidenced by this thread).

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Rappaport posted:

I can have a "conversation" with a book, but it is fundamentally an experience of corresponding with the author. They mean to say something, I glean from that what I can, and it either informs me or does not. The book is not the pipe, as it were, even if it carries significance to me. The guy who wrote analysis 101 was conveying ideas through their words, but the analysis 101 isn't that person.
I broadly agree, but I also want to emphasize the role that you, the reader, play in that "conversational" experience. The message that you take away from the book is not necessarily the same message that the author had in mind when they wrote it (or that another reader would walk away with) because it is influenced by your experiences, your emotional reactions and your own creative mind. Conversely, your takeaway message is more than just your own inner monologue. The book is not the author, true, but the book is also not the reader. There needs to be a creature of thinking meat on both ends of the conversation.

With that in mind, I see KwegiboHB's experiments as an experience of radical self-discovery. They are both the author and the reader, engaged in a rapid conversational loop assisted by an algorithm of their making. Their persistent memory, lived experiences and emotional feedback determine the content of the prompts, the interpretation of the questions and the direction for training the model. Much like a book, the bot is a medium of communication, not a participant or the message. So yes, I would say that KwegiboHB's work did result in the creation of a sentient, sapient, living and creative mind, and that mind was their own. That said, I also recognize that expressions of consciousness are as varied as consciousness itself, and that it is not uncommon for people to compartmentalize certain parts of themselves, be it the artist's conceptualization of their creative impulses as a "muse" or the personification of one's guilty feelings as a "voice" of conscience. If KwegiboHB finds it helpful to think of the dynamic, learning and inquisitive part of themselves as a distinct entity, more power to them, I say!

In more general terms, I propose reframing the concept of Artificial Intelligence from Algorithmic Intelligence to Assisted/Augmented Intelligence. It is neither fair nor informative to compare a bot with a human, any more than it is to compare a book to a person. Comparing "human+bot" systems with baseline humans, on other hand, promises to be much more fruitful.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

The part that no one talks about is that you could replace 80% of the executives and 95% of management consultants with AIs today and they'd do a better job.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I'm currently preparing for the bar exam, and I find it interesting how the preparation course materials emphasize LLM-style problem solving, such as glancing at the question and predicting the answer without reading the facts of the case, relying solely on memorized corpus and pattern recognition. If I had a penny for every time the lecturers say "think mechanically", I'd need a coin purse.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

BougieBitch posted:

It is better for everyone if AI continues to just exist as a tool to supplement personal knowledge or understanding on a topic
If AI was a hammer, we'd have a prohammer side arguing that "drop engineers" who drop hammers on nails from a height will become a new coveted profession, and an antihammer side pointing out that hammers physically cannot pound nails because they lack musculature to move themselves and optical systems to coordinate that movement (plus some unaligned thinkers debating whether humans pounding nails with bare fists will ever be supplanted by self-driving hammers).

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 18, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Nervous posted:

What about a non self aware murder swarm with faulty/breached IFF coding that's running amok on a civilian population center?
I find it far more likely that the murder swarm in question will have fully functional IFF coding intentionally configured to slaughter civilian population by duly authorized people with legitimate access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I was thinking about these LLMs the other day and how ridiculous it is that we don't just spend those billions training the incredible biological computers we already have sitting around.
Oh, but we do. Much of standardized test preparation boils down to teaching the student to think like a LLM, and it's a multibillion industry.