Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

gurragadon posted:

I see this as the automation of factories happening to the white-collar workforce. It was really bad for factory workers and it's going to be bad for knowledge workers.

The problem isn't necessarily with unemployment though. The problem is unemployed people aren't provided with money to keep the alive. I have a lot less fear about losing my job if I know that I won't be treated as if it is my fault, and society is kind enough to take care of me. Another problem is one you pointed out, people put way too much of their identity into their jobs and we are taught to do so.

Human's will need to learn to find meaning in themselves outside of what they do for a living, and for a lot of people, that is going to be very difficult. You can see the detrimental effects of clinging to your job as if it was your whole being, look at coal mining in West Virginia. If you build your identity on your job your identity is just shattered when you lose it and keeping a job is something the employee really can't completely control.

So all we need is a society completely unlike the one we live in, run by people completely unlike the ones running it, and a ton of people losing their jobs will be no issue. Great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU