Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Tei posted:

I think better than a human being. A human works more in "modes", is thinking in english or thinking in spanish or german. A person thinking in german will try to understand in german a word he heard.

With ChatGPT, you can write a question in a mix of spanish and english, and the bot will understand the question and answer it. To me that means all words where evaluated for a the potential individual meaning and in the context on all potential languages, including programming languages.

I don't think this is true. It's not uncommon to switch languages in the middle of a sentence among members of a bilingual household. I'm pretty sure a lot of people think in multiple languages simultaneously, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

SaTaMaS posted:

It's pretty hard to define a sense of "language" other than as a collection of associations between words, which is exactly what LLMs are.

I'm not gonna define language but it is not a collection of associations between words. At all. Nor is it for LLMs, because tokens are not the same thing as words.