Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

So how long before it puts web developers and programmers out of work? I’m asking for a friend.

It’s me. I’m the friend.

I'm in tech leadership; have acknowledgments in 4-printed tech books - so I'm fairly qualified to answer but also recognize I have a certain bias and cynicism, so take this with a grain of salt.

Faster than you expect, in my (anecdotal) experience.
It's not so much that it's going to simply cause them to dump folks (imminently), but its yet another workforce multiplier that is going to impact the low and middle perfomers the most by making the majority of their capability AI-redundant.

So basically, the bottom is going to fall out and supply is going to vastly exceed demand. For a while the middleware tooling isnt going to exist, so developers are going to be around to help glue all the new stuff together, but it will both be less technical (and thus lower pay) and a decreasing body of work available as the tech gets better.

Again, my perspective is the cynical view in a way and I understand the argument of "new tech, new jobs" to which I'm hopeful, but not personally optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU