Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
This post from last page seems pretty apt:

Mega Comrade posted:

If they hadn't been called hallucinations, but instead just been called prediction anomalies or something, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

mobby_6kl posted:

It'd be pretty trivial to have the drone find and shoot targets by itself, you don't need any fancy AI for that. Just a basic neural net to classify the potential targets (like a consumer DJI drone can track a person). Then just have it go from target to target and shoot/drop a grenade on it.

Anything with even the most basic neural net is being lauded as AI these days. You can bet if what you describe happens there will be hand wringing about murderous AI and a Skynet apocalypse just around the corner.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Tei posted:

AI does not mean super inteligence. Any machine that make smart decisions automatically can be labelled AI. Even if is pretty simple.

Eh, no one was calling the lovely neural nets I worked on five years ago “AI” - it’s only since ChatGPT became mainstream that the term has expanded.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

SaTaMaS posted:

Same for AGI. Somehow instead of AGI just meaning a more general form of AI, it's now said to require learning, problem solving, reasoning, autonomy, multi-modality, emotional intelligence, ethics and even awareness.

I think when the lay person hears AI what they really are imagining is AGI with all the traits you described. The current hype train is capitalizing on that misconception to upsell capabilities that have existed for years.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

This will basically destroy any remaining credibility that videos have on social media. There will be zero cost to create inflammatory, viral propaganda videos to serve whatever purpose you desire.

“A Biden supporter stealing ballots out of a ballot box in a conservative district”

“A black man assaulting a white woman in broad daylight”

“A CNN broadcast showing a person wearing a MAGA hat shooting up a school”

You will have to decide which people and institutions you trust implicitly since nothing will be independently verifiable outside of what you have seen with your own eyes. Anything outside of your trust network will automatically discarded. Our news and media landscape will become even more fragmented and disconnected as these trust networks develop.

This is already happening somewhat since there have been plenty of manipulated or heavily edited videos out there. But the rate was slow enough that it was possible for people to independently verify videos. You could see someone on Twitter debunking a fake Ukrainian war crime, for example. Now with genAI there will be a flood of fake videos making independent verification impossible. The default will be that everything is fake unless someone you trust says it is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

I've been thinking about the rapid advancement of genAI in the past couple of years, and self driving vehicles popped in my head as an interesting comparison point.

I remember back around 2015 when the self driving hype was getting started - it seemed like every couple of months there was a new update with new features getting announced. Within a year or so Teslas were able to drive on the freeway mostly by themselves. It seemed like a bunch of people - not just Musk - were expecting fully autonomous level 5 vehicles within the next few years. Then around 2019 progress hit a wall and it's been mostly minor incremental improvements since then. We're barely at level 3 self driving and level 5 seems decades away.

I'm not saying genAI will necessarily follow the same trajectory, but it made me think if it's possible to know where in the development curve we are with it? Are all the recent advancements just the tip of the iceberg, or is it possible we're getting to the point where we hit diminishing returns (whether that's on compute time, development time, or training data)?